Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Bleeding Cool rumor, but if true, I'd be all for it

Kind of what happened with Claremont doing his X-Men continuation. I'd love to see some of the old school creators back hopefully using some current techniques. I'm also NOT suggesting these replace newer, innovative books, but seeing some of the classic stuff from the seventies and eighties updated could be fun.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...-tell-us-more/

Please discuss and don't let my post die of loneliness.

I would buy stuff from a line like this if Mark Gruenwald could be involved .

But this is an alright idea for the 80th anniversary. My only demand is no Byrne stuff.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

But this is an alright idea for the 80th anniversary. My only demand is no Byrne stuff.
    Give me John Byrne (writer), David Finch (artist) and Blue Marvel.

I haven't read Byrne in years, but if he could somehow tap into what he was doing back during his first FF run, I won't complain.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

If Marvel doesn't give Tony his mullet back I'll be very upset tbh.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post
    If Marvel doesn't give Tony his mullet back I'll be very upset tbh.
    LOL! Wait, I though this was supposed to be classic, not the 90s.;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mullet Tony was 80s. Season 2 of the 90s cartoon gave him that style because it was adapting stories from that era.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Can someone summarize the rumor?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Can someone summarize the rumor?
    It seems to imply that they're preparing to do a "Marvel Classics" line, whatever that entails, in which they bring back some of their older creators to do stories in the vein of previous eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

Well CB Cebulski has openly spoken about Byrne's X-Men: Elsewhen project and I think his desires outrank yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bomaya View Post
    Well CB Cebulski has openly spoken about Byrne's X-Men: Elsewhen project and I think his desires outrank yours.
    I'm Bob Iger. Checkmate.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Does Busiek & Bagley Thunderbolts count as 'classic?'

Heinberg & Cheung on (the original lineup of) Young Avengers?

PAD on X-Factor (led by Madrox)?

Vaughn on Runaways? DeFalco & Frenz revisit the classic New Warriors?

Moore & Lim on X-Men 2099? Or was I the only one who loved that run?

I suspect my definition of 'classic' is a bit too A) recent, or B) obscure.

Extraordinary Member

X-Men Forever was sort of the start of a "classics" line, since it was followed by the editors inviting Louise Simonson to do an X-Factor mini and Michelinie/Layton to do some Iron Man.

If they try it again (and that might not be what McGregor was talking about) the most important thing in my opinion is that it should be some kind of "Untold Tale" that can fit the continuity of a particular era, at least broadly. X-Men Forever had many issues but the biggest one was that it never felt like it could have been an actual in-continuity X-Men comic of any era.

A McGregor Panther or Killraven story would be very welcome. I'd also love to see a Micheline and Layton Iron Man. A PAD Hulk? Maybe even a Roy Thomas Conan, Invaders, or even a "retro-event"

I doubt this is going to be anything permanent, that is more than 12 issues, but there was some good stuff that was put out in those days and another look at it could be a lot of fun.

These kinds of rumours seem persistent. I wouldn't like it at all personally, but more importantly I suspect the market is very limited.

People will say they want these kind's of books, but will they actually buy them?

Extraordinary Member

I think inviting old creators back has more value as PR than sales. If Marvel gives Don McGregor some work then it gets good publicity for them for rewarding one of the people responsible for Black Panther's current fame, and gains them some good will from old-school fans without much blowback from younger fans.

It's not quite the same thing, but it reminds me how Roy Thomas said he was hired back to Marvel in the late '80s because Tom DeFalco, who was Jim Shooter's second in command at the time, convinced Shooter that it was important to mend fences with some of the creators who had left the company on bad terms. The return of, say, Steve Ditko didn't do much for the company's sales but it did allow them to respond to (justified) criticism by pointing out that Ditko came back.