Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I mean, that's true though. Also coincides with the Fox X-Men movie being released.

It would be awesome to see the X-Men return to their former glory, both in the comics and in mass appeal. With their movie rights being absorbed by Disney, putting everything back into relative alignment, we may be on the verge of another great renaissance for the franchise. It certainly is in need of it. If the MCU can knock it out of the park with them on film, maybe they can get refocused again(with better comics, new cartoons/video games) and become relevant once more.
    I agree.

Xmen is positioned to be the premier comic IP if we can hold out just a little longer. Let Disney release a couple of Xmen films/shows. If successful, better writers and artists would likely be funneled to Xmen.

If people can be patient a year or two (I know it’s a long time to wait), we may see the xmen as the clear top dog’s again.

Point is if the comic magic is going to be recaptured, it will be based on how mcu handles the properties... so keep your fingers crossed and hope for some good films
    Or shows.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

It is possible to get X-Men back to close to the top of the list but it will take hard work. I think it’ll take a combo of the MCU movies and top tier talent working consistently.

If you look how Batman started selling crazily well in the last decade, you can see that it was a direct result of:
    1) the Nolan trilogy popularity
    2) A-List writers having long runs on the book (Morrison, Snyder, King)

If the X-Men can get those two things, I could see Uncanny being a fixture in the top ten list in the future. It will take work though and I hope it all works out
    Last edited by The Kid; 01-08-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Fantastic Member

It also has to do with talent.

Love him or hate him, Chris Claremont's dialogue & continuity was heavier and more more engaging than the Saturday morning cartoon level stuff of the current UXM series. Hell, even the Lobdell / Nicieza stuff was generally coordinated and required thought.

These new series - inconsistent, with light characterization, nominal artwork and zero texture - will not elevate the line to any great height.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Tips

1) if you want to see how Xmen fared amongst marvel’s stable of other properties, look at their rankings, NOT the actual sales figures

2) if you want to see how the comic market is doing in general, look at sales figures

So many people see low sales and equate it to Xmen sucking. Well. That’s not necessarily true. If the numbers are bad but they still rank above other marvel properties, then they are doing well in the market as it currently exists... It’s just the market itself that’s bad. (Of course low sales and a high ranking doesn’t necessarily mean a book is great. Just some ways to interpret the data in general).
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Tips

1) if you want to see how Xmen fared amongst marvel’s stable of other properties, look at their rankings, NOT the actual sales figures

2) if you want to see how the comic market is doing in general, look at sales figures

So many people see low sales and equate it to Xmen sucking. Well. That’s not necessarily true. If the numbers are bad but they still rank above other marvel properties, then they are doing well in the market as it currently exists... It’s just the market itself that’s bad. (Of course low sales and a high ranking doesn’t necessarily mean a book is great. Just some ways to interpret the data in general).
    Also, you have to factor in the speculator's market of the 1990s. There was a definite bubble around the time that X-Men were at their peak. So, comic sales in general were inflated in ways that did not reflect actual readership.

BANNED

What about "X-Men Forever"?

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    What about "X-Men Forever"?
    Claremont's what-if side project. I somehow doubt the events there are what would have happened had he stayed on in the early days of X-Men Vol2, but he kinda went crazy with that title because they let him and it wasn't official continuity. I think it only lasted 25 issues?

That's fine that the market in general is down, but you still have Batman(and The Walking Dead, for example) selling consistently, and you don't have total domination of the top selling books like X-Men used to do(Top 10 comics in the 90's was usually at least half X-Men, with X-Men or Uncanny in the #1 position). Even accounting for the general downturn of the medium, X-Men has still lost a lot of ground.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

"Marvel had the single highest-profile comic book in the Western hemisphere–X-MEN–and Bob did everything imaginable to make it completely incomprehensible and inaccessible to new and/or casual readers. Everything."

"'But, Mark…' I hear the whine. 'But, Mark, Bob kept the X-books best-sellers in the industry during his tenure.' Technically true–but let’s look at the sales figures. Over the last six years, the sales margin between the X-books and their nearest competitors has dwindled from about three-to-one to barely 1.5-to-one. Woo-hoo. Cigars, everyone."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

“Alexa, what is the world’s best selling comic ever?”
    “The world’s best ever selling comic is Buncanny X-Men issue 12, where Psylocke started to question Magneto’s actions and M deals with Emplate’s merge”.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That's fine that the market in general is down, but you still have Batman(and The Walking Dead, for example) selling consistently, and you don't have total domination of the top selling books like X-Men used to do(Top 10 comics in the 90's was usually at least half X-Men, with X-Men or Uncanny in the #1 position). Even accounting for the general downturn of the medium, X-Men has still lost a lot of ground.
    Are they? I have seen bins OVERFLOW with Batman books. For all the crap Iceman gets Batman has him and many other beat in that.

Batman gets ordered a LOT and folks (especially those HOPING for a specter market issue from him) ignore the unsold piles he leaves.

Comics book Stores want to scream for more Batman books but outside of them-Batman is getting plenty of competition. He has been beaten in trade sales and digital by Ms Marvel & Carol and even X-Men. He holds steady (for now).

Don't forget those X-Men books tended to have the top of the food chains in talent. Even at the expense of other franchises. The X-Men tried to be something for everyone and for a time they were from Uncanny to Excalibur to X-Factor to New X-Men Academy.

When they stopped that and focused on a set few-it alienated all those other fans. Meanwhile the rest of Marvel started to catch up and what X-Men did not offer-Carol Danvers to Black Panther to GOTG to Runaways and so on did.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Are they? I have seen bins OVERFLOW with Batman books. For all the crap Iceman gets Batman has him and many other beat in that.

Batman gets ordered a LOT and folks (especially those HOPING for a specter market issue from him) ignore the unsold piles he leaves.

Comics book Stores want to scream for more Batman books but outside of them-Batman is getting plenty of competition. He has been beaten in trade sales and digital by Ms Marvel & Carol and even X-Men. He holds steady (for now).

Don't forget those X-Men books tended to have the top of the food chains in talent. Even at the expense of other franchises. The X-Men tried to be something for everyone and for a time they were from Uncanny to Excalibur to X-Factor to New X-Men Academy.

When they stopped that and focused on a set few-it alienated all those other fans. Meanwhile the rest of Marvel started to catch up and what X-Men did not offer-Carol Danvers to Black Panther to GOTG to Runaways and so on did.
    Thing is Batman's like on issue 57 and he's still selling over 90k. At that point, people have to actually to be reading the book for stores to continue to order that many copies every month. Just look at the comicron charts going back the last several years. Consistently at 90k to 120k. X-Men used to be at that level of dominance and it's not impossible to get it back. It just takes writing consistency which has been seriously lacking