Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 145 of 145
  1. #136
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I wonder if Days of Future Past has become the new fan-favourite. Its one of the best ones put together by the talented paedophile Bryan Singer. It used to be X2 mostly because of years or Logan because of prestige, However Days Of Future Past seems to be climbing over those films, Maybe we should thank Disney Plus.
    I don't think that comments on a forum thread are indicative of any move's overall popularity level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The last page has some love for new mutants, Wonder why critics chewed it out.
    Maybe casual viewers are more forgiving? Or put more focus on personal enjoyment than the relatively objective craftsmanship that pro critics try to shoot for?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  2. #137
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,928

    Default

    Going off what I've seen, and honestly the top of the X-Men 'best' list is some of the best superhero fare period. Far stronger than anything in the MCU.

    Best:
    Logan - one of the best superhero joints ever made
    Days of Future Past
    The Wolverine
    The New Mutants
    Apocalypse
    X2
    Dark Phoenix


    X3 and Origins are the worst ones. X1 is bland and boring.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-29-2020 at 01:29 PM.

  3. #138
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Glad to see some love for New Mutants anyway.
    New Mutants was great. Wish it could be the start of a series.

  4. #139
    Incredible Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Going off what I've seen, and honestly the top of the X-Men 'best' list is some of the best superhero fare period. Far stronger than anything in the MCU.

    .
    True.


    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think that comments on a forum thread are indicative of any move's overall popularity level.
    No, But Usually a film can speak for itself without any external built up hype from the studios and their minions.

    Maybe casual viewers are more forgiving? Or put more focus on personal enjoyment than the relatively objective craftsmanship that pro critics try to shoot for?
    If pro critics were applying relative objective craftsmanship then the movie should objectivity get a B for effort because it has a non mass- manufacturing original concept.

  5. #140
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    No, But Usually a film can speak for itself without any external built up hype from the studios and their minions.
    There are always those films that had a terrible box office and critical reception, but then went on to become classics on home media, or highly successful films in theaters that were forgotten over the years. It's not that cut and dry.

    "Nobody knows anything...Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one." - William Goldman, writer of The Princess Bride

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    If pro critics were applying relative objective craftsmanship then the movie should objectivity get a B for effort because it has a non mass- manufacturing original concept.
    Originality is not a shoe-in for being good, it's all in the execution.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  6. #141
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,660

    Default

    Critics chewed New Mutants out mostly, it seems, because it felt small for being a major movie. Its a valid criticism, but as a die hard fan it still pleased me. Honestly a lot of the problems with New Mutants were also problems with Logan, so go figure.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  7. #142
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    As both a die-hard fan and as someone who just wanted to see a movie New Mutants was very disappointing. Forgetting about how most of the changes from the source material were for the worse, the film fails at basic storytelling. Character arcs are shallow to nonexistent, actions don't have consequences, and there's no flow from scene to scene. Roberto thinks Illyana tried to kill him. Does it effect how he treats or interacts with her afterwards? Not at all. It's forgotten almost immediately after the scene ends. That's how the movie is. That lack of coherence from scene to scene is endemic. The only time the fact that a teleporter should not be trapped like everyone else is even addressed is in a single throwaway line in a deleted scene. Again, basic storytelling such as not forgetting that Superman can fly. The big reveal shot of Illyana summoning her sword would be awesome, if she hadn't been using the sword throughout the movie, making the reveal pointless. Her line 'It's magic.' 'So am I' should be a crowning moment of badass, but it's actually meaningless since the movie not once establishes magic as a real thing in its universe. Even the bear isn't really magic since it's just something from Dani's mind.

    I'm flabbergasted that anyone could defend such a terribly written movie. The idea of a 'bottle movie' where the characters are trapped and have to confront their fears and their pasts wasn't a bad one, but the execution was horrendous on every level. I did a full rewrite of the movie, and looking back I probably left too much of the original movie in and should have changed more.

  8. #143
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    As both a die-hard fan and as someone who just wanted to see a movie New Mutants was very disappointing. Forgetting about how most of the changes from the source material were for the worse, the film fails at basic storytelling. Character arcs are shallow to nonexistent, actions don't have consequences, and there's no flow from scene to scene. Roberto thinks Illyana tried to kill him. Does it effect how he treats or interacts with her afterwards? Not at all. It's forgotten almost immediately after the scene ends. That's how the movie is. That lack of coherence from scene to scene is endemic. The only time the fact that a teleporter should not be trapped like everyone else is even addressed is in a single throwaway line in a deleted scene. Again, basic storytelling such as not forgetting that Superman can fly. The big reveal shot of Illyana summoning her sword would be awesome, if she hadn't been using the sword throughout the movie, making the reveal pointless. Her line 'It's magic.' 'So am I' should be a crowning moment of badass, but it's actually meaningless since the movie not once establishes magic as a real thing in its universe. Even the bear isn't really magic since it's just something from Dani's mind.

    I'm flabbergasted that anyone could defend such a terribly written movie. The idea of a 'bottle movie' where the characters are trapped and have to confront their fears and their pasts wasn't a bad one, but the execution was horrendous on every level. I did a full rewrite of the movie, and looking back I probably left too much of the original movie in and should have changed more.
    Gotta agree with this. I think ppl get caught up in praising any departure from source material. Without regard to how it serves the characters or story.

  9. #144
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Her line 'It's magic.' 'So am I' should be a crowning moment of badass, but it's actually meaningless since the movie not once establishes magic as a real thing in its universe.
    I'm less bothered by this because in a universe where magic has never been shown to exist, magic could be the same way that Magic Johnson is, um, magic. Just based on exceptional or unique physical prowess, which is how mutant powers are treated anyway in the X-Films.

    But that's a minor nitpick. Without the establishment of actual magic, that means her powers like the sword and armor are more stylized than most other powers. To your point, there's room for magic (even Star Trek, as much as it purports to be science realism, still has magic), and it could've been established here more concretely.

    What's even more magical though are yes, how quickly everyone seems to get over their grudges of each other, and how much food is made that seems to feed an entire institute but really feeds only 6 people at best. Maybe give the Demon Bear all the implied leftovers and it would calm down?

  10. #145
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Critics chewed New Mutants out mostly, it seems, because it felt small for being a major movie. Its a valid criticism, but as a die hard fan it still pleased me. Honestly a lot of the problems with New Mutants were also problems with Logan, so go figure.
    I loved the smaller scale of New Mutants. Thought it was really refreshing, and just a solid little movie. Exciting, full of fun characters, tight plot that ties into LOGAN- all around good time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •