Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Logan
    New Mutants
    X2
    X-Men
    DP2
    DP

And I really cannot stand the rest.
    Glad to see some love for New Mutants anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Glad to see some love for New Mutants anyway.
    I was a fan of it, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Since last January, I'd add Dark Phoenix into the top 5-6. Haven't seen New Mutants yet, heard some terrible reviews and not sure about it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Since last January, I'd add Dark Phoenix into the top 5-6. Haven't seen New Mutants yet, heard some terrible reviews and not sure about it.
    As noted above, I liked it, but that's just me; I think it's worth checking out if you're curious.

Didn't really like Dark Phoenix myself, but that's just me.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Just saw New Mutants. I did like it, and I felt the themes of the movie were very Claremontian: teen angst, facing inner demons, having them manifest in the real world, fighting not to lose your soul to the forces of despair/darkness. So, I think the creative folk behind the movie made a successful translation of Chris Claremont's storytelling tropes.

However, I saw the movie on my television, and I think that's why I was okay with it. The movie is very small in scope in that it takes place pretty much entirely in a hospital. If I set aside time to make it a theater occasion, I would have been disappointed. The movie is simply not grand enough as a superhero movie to warrant a theatrical release. I felt the same way after seeing Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn: it should have been a Netflix release.

If New Mutants had been released on Netflix as a 2-part premiere episode of a New Mutants TV series, I think it would have been a lot better received. I think the audience that watched Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, The Gifted, or Legion would have loved it in that venue.

People simply have large expectations for a Summer superhero film that's released to theaters, and New Mutants was not the right fit for that.

Dark Phoenix sucked.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 11-23-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with New Mutants is it was poorly written and therefore failed to make the characters likeable or to have the tension or mystery it was going for. And for what was supposed to be an ensemble piece it was basically a Dani Moonstar solo movie without making her compelling enough to carry a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As noted above, I liked it, but that's just me; I think it's worth checking out if you're curious.

Didn't really like Dark Phoenix myself, but that's just me.
    Rented New Mutants last night and loved it. Its kind of small in scope, as said above, which probably is one of the criticisms. But I enjoy those types of movies (Dream Warriors is a movie I love and it takes place almost entirely in a hospital). And the movie does a fair job introducing the characters and it did feel Claremontian in tone and method. Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel at all, with these same characters.

As to fitting in with the MCU, its going to require an experienced and seasoned X-Men team for that to work. And I'm not sure Disney is going to do that. So my belief is that this movie will just kind of slip away to irrelevance whenever Disney makes its move.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-24-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

In my humble opinion? Sure.

I haven't seen a few of these in quite some time now so the middle part can jump around a bit. But the first two and the last two have kinda permanent positions.

1. Days of Future Past
    2. Deadpool
    3. X-men 2
    4. Apocalypse
    5. Logan
    6. The New Mutants
    7. First Class
    8. X-men
    9. Dark Phoenix
    10. Deadpool 2
    11. X-men: The Last Stand
    12. X-men Origins: Wolverine
    13. The Wolverine

Decided to throw in the shows as well for fun, and because Legion deserves more love.

1. The New Mutants
    2. X-Men: First Class
    3. Deadpool
    4. Legion
    5. The Wolverine
    6. Dark Phoenix
    7. X2
    8. Logan
    9. Deadpool 2
    10. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    11. X-Men
    12. The Gifted
    13. X-Men: The Last Stand
    14. X-Men: Apocalypse
    15. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

As to fitting in with the MCU, its going to require an experienced and seasoned X-Men team for that to work. And I'm not sure Disney is going to do that. So my belief is that this movie will just kind of slip away to irrelevance whenever Disney makes its move.
    Yeah, it's pretty much a given that the Marvel Studios is just going to hard reboot everything that the movie will just be the last piece of the Fox series. As sad as it its that it won't be continuing, maybe it's just as well that the story wrapped itself up so that it can exist as a one-shot.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty much a given that the Marvel Studios is just going to hard reboot everything that the movie will just be the last piece of the Fox series. As sad as it its that it won't be continuing, maybe it's just as well that the story wrapped itself up so that it can exist as a one-shot.
    Yah I think so. The Demon Bear story was certainly a favorite of mind in the original New Mutants run, so I will always appreciate the movie for how well it handled that story. Dani Moonstar was really done well, I thought, as were Illyana and Rahne. Sam and Roberto, they were ok, could have been a bit more done with them - this movie is all about the girls.

With the MCU in the state its in, looks like we will never see an Asgardian War. And Dani will never be one of the Valkryrior.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-24-2020 at 06:02 PM.

New Mutants wasn't the worst X-film, and I love me superhero films that mix genres, but it just dragged. The worst X-films at least have more energy and vibrancy to them. New Mutants just got... Boring.

I liked Dani and Rahne, but the Ilyana and Sam were pretty one-note (through no fault of the actors -- they did the best with what they had to work with), and Berto was so disappointingly generic. If they had to turn Cecilia Reyes into some evil captor, make her into Nurse Ratched.

Yah I think so. The Demon Bear story was certainly a favorite of mind in the original New Mutants run, so I will always appreciate the movie for how well it handled that story. Dani Moonstar was really done well, I thought, as were Illyana and Rahne. Sam and Roberto, they were ok, could have been a bit more done with them - this movie is all about the girls.
    Sure. I did think that the move balanced the team better then some of the main X-Men films did (at least I felt like I got to know Sam and Roberto better then I did Cyclops or Storm in the original trilogy), but I can see the point.

With the MCU in the state its in, looks like we will never see an Asgardian War. And Dani will never be one of the Valkryrior.
    That all would depend on what they want to do with both Thor and the X-Men franchises going forward. Suppose they could still do some kind of conflict with the Asgardians (involving Dani or not), but have their community on Earth be home ground instead of old Asgard or something.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

OTE=Dark Soul # 7;5245795]In my humble opinion? Sure.

I haven't seen a few of these in quite some time now so the middle part can jump around a bit. But the first two and the last two have kinda permanent positions.

1. Days of Future Past
    2. Deadpool
    3. X-men 2
    4. Apocalypse
    5. Logan
    6. The New Mutants
    7. First Class
    8. X-men
    9. Dark Phoenix
    10. Deadpool 2
    11. X-men: The Last Stand
    12. X-men Origins: Wolverine
    13. The Wolverine
    I wonder if Days of Future Past has become the new fan-favourite. Its one of the best ones put together by the talented paedophile Bryan Singer. It used to be X2 mostly because of years or Logan because of prestige, However Days Of Future Past seems to be climbing over those films, Maybe we should thank Disney Plus.

The last page has some love for new mutants, Wonder why critics chewed it out.