Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
I think Apocalypse and most of the Horsemen were underdeveloped, but having undercooked villains is by no means a rarity in this genre.

The thing is, there's a really interesting take on Apocalypse there, but it wasn't played up enough. He seems genuinely surprised (almost hurt) when Magneto betrays him. Just like he was when the ancient Egyptians turned on him centuries earlier, which brings forth this idea that he genuinely believes his new world is for the best, and he doesn't see why people would turn against him and that idea. It essentially adds a vulnerability to Apocalypse that would have been great to see explored. I enjoyed Isaac's power-hungry, pontificating powerhouse as it is, especially his world-ending diatribes (which I will forever associate with the character thanks to the animated series), but it would've been neat to shift Apocalypse closer to the realm of a sympathetic villain through this sense of personal vulnerability.
I think they actually did take it a step further with Apocalypse's death. He's so committed to his philosophy that he's genuinely excited to be annihilated by the Phoenix, because he's seen a power more 'fit' to ascend than himself.