Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I think Apocalypse and most of the Horsemen were underdeveloped, but having undercooked villains is by no means a rarity in this genre.

The thing is, there's a really interesting take on Apocalypse there, but it wasn't played up enough. He seems genuinely surprised (almost hurt) when Magneto betrays him. Just like he was when the ancient Egyptians turned on him centuries earlier, which brings forth this idea that he genuinely believes his new world is for the best, and he doesn't see why people would turn against him and that idea. It essentially adds a vulnerability to Apocalypse that would have been great to see explored. I enjoyed Isaac's power-hungry, pontificating powerhouse as it is, especially his world-ending diatribes (which I will forever associate with the character thanks to the animated series), but it would've been neat to shift Apocalypse closer to the realm of a sympathetic villain through this sense of personal vulnerability.
    I think they actually did take it a step further with Apocalypse's death. He's so committed to his philosophy that he's genuinely excited to be annihilated by the Phoenix, because he's seen a power more 'fit' to ascend than himself.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think they actually did take it a step further with Apocalypse's death. He's so committed to his philosophy that he's genuinely excited to be annihilated by the Phoenix, because he's seen a power more 'fit' to ascend than himself.
    That is true, but I don't think they did enough flesh out his beliefs to justify that payoff. I still loved that moment, don't get me wrong, but it would've been that much more satisfying if he'd been given more time to explain why he believes what he does other than "I'm hella powerful, and what I say goes." Maybe he reveals his past with Baal, scrounging what living he could in the desert prior to his ascension as Apocalypse, to his horsemen in order to convince them of his beliefs or something like that.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    That is true, but I don't think they did enough flesh out his beliefs to justify that payoff. I still loved that moment, don't get me wrong, but it would've been that much more satisfying if he'd been given more time to explain why he believes what he does other than "I'm hella powerful, and what I say goes." Maybe he reveals his past with Baal, scrounging what living he could in the desert prior to his ascension as Apocalypse, to his horsemen in order to convince them of his beliefs or something like that.
    I don't know if they had time to fit that in the film, but if memory serves, the stories about Apocalypse's rise to power in Egypt were some of his better ones.

I would also have loved to see a Cyclops and Phoenix film where they raise Nathan in the future. Not that it well ever happen, but they could reveal that Xavier didn't actually kill the X-Men in the Logan timeline, but transported them across time and space.

At any rate, I think Isaac did a great job with his portrayal, and the character came across better than he did in most of the stories he showed up in during the 90s. It's not like Apocalypse has ever been fleshed out as deeply as other X-villains. But he's done all right for a guy who was originally going to be the Owl!

Ok, sure.

These five are my canon:

1. X2 = Still my favorite, it really had the best overall coherence and character development
    2. DofP = Second favorite in terms of plotting and character
    3. Logan = Excellent. If they had included Sabertooth, I'd probably have it be the best in my list
    4. First Class = Pretty good, but didn't quite achieve greatness
    5. X-Men = I'll always enjoy the Statue of Liberty scene

And these are my apocrypha:

6. Wolverine Origins = I liked this version of Deadpool, haha! And Gambit.
    7. Apocalypse = Watchable over repeated viewings, but kind of a dumb movie
    8. Deadpool = the first ten minutes or so were funny, then the jokes got repetitive. Big whoop, he cusses, gives oral sex to women and breaks the fourth wall
    9. The Wolverine = Never fully watched it, got bored. So it could be higher maybe. I'll put it here.
    10. Deadpool 2 = Didn't bother, its just a bunch of pointless dirty jokes and fart humor again. Go out and see a comedy show instead
    11. Last Stand = Still haven't made it through this crap
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-08-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

1. X2
    2. Logan
    3. DOFP
    4. X-Men First Class
    5. Deadpool 2
    6. The Wolverine
    7. X-Men
    8. Deadpool 1
    9. Apocalypse
    10. X-Men Origins
    11. X-Men Last Stand

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    8. Deadpool 1
    9. Apocalypse
    Why so low?

I have mixed feelings about Deadpool. Felt like the R-rating was actually a distraction from the things that worked. I get that Deadpool is violent, but people tend to forget that he's been in more comics at a PG-13 level than with a mature label. The "Once Upon a Deadpool" concept is more in keeping with the character's humor. An R-rated protagonist stuck in a PG-13 world and breaking the fourth wall. I don't think Deadpool's R-rating serves it as well as Logan's did.

BANNED

I have mixed feelings about Deadpool. Felt like the R-rating was actually a distraction from the things that worked. I get that Deadpool is violent, but people tend to forget that he's been in more comics at a PG-13 level than with a mature label. The "Once Upon a Deadpool" concept is more in keeping with the character's humor. An R-rated protagonist stuck in a PG-13 world and breaking the fourth wall. I don't think Deadpool's R-rating serves it as well as Logan's did.
    I partially agree with you.

1 - X2
    2 - DoFP
    3 - Logan
    4 - First Class
    5 - Deadpool
    6 - X-Men
    7 - Apocalypse
    8 - Deadpool 2
    9 - The Wolverine
    10 - Last Stand
    11 - Wolverine Origins
    The J-man

To quote Ian from Jurrasic Park: The writers "were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm a Cyclops fan, so that colors my rankings.

1 - Deadpool
    2 - Deadpool 2
    3 -
    4 -
    5 -
    6 -
    7 -
    8 -
    9 -
    10 - everything else except the last place 'winner'
    ∞ - The Last Stand. A film so bad it killed my ability to enjoy anything properly connected to the larger franchise.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm a Cyclops fan, so that colors my rankings.

1- Dark Phoenix
    2- Apocalypse
    3- X1
    4- X2
    5- X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    6- everything else except the last place 'winner'
    ∞ - The Last Stand. A film so bad it killed my ability to enjoy anything properly connected to the larger franchise.
    Well, I fixed the list for you LOL

Since this is about best and not favorite, I'll list this something like this:
    1. Logan
    2. Deadpool (I did not watch the sequel, cause I do not have much love for this one)
    3. X2: X-Men United
    4. X-Men First Class
    5. X-Men
    6. X-Men: The Last Stand
    7. The Wolverine (this placement is not disrespecting this movie, but the Last Stand is a better movie, and is unfairly underrated)
    8. Days of Future Past (time travel logic is goofy and hokey)
    9. Apocalypse
    10. X-Men Origins (I enjoy this more than the Wolverine, basically cause there is no misplaced plot like the case with Lady Viper)
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

1 - First Class
    2 - X-Men
    3 - Deadpool 2
    4 - Logan
    5 - Deadpool
    6 - Days of Future Past.

And then the rest, whatever order.

1. X2- Good movie adaptation of classic storyline with most of X-men we actually wanted to see

2. Days of Future Past- Another good movie adaption of classic storyline, It mixes the old cast and new cast well.

3. Logan- A better movie than 2 movies I have in front it but those are actual team movies which is the point of X-men. I can't put Logan in front of them if we are talking "X-men movies"

4. Deadpool-perfect adaption of the character and fun movie

5. X-men- Doesn't hold up that well honestly but probably best use of X-cast we really care about

6. Deadpool 2-Not as good as the first one but still pretty good

7. The Wolverine- Couldn't stick the landing but end until the ending it was actually a pretty good movie

8. X-men Apocalypse- Fun movie just flat out bad story but probably has the most entertaining uses of mutant powers in any X-movie

9. X-men First Class- - First Class is a quality movie but calling First Class a "X-men movie" is like calling the Gifted a X-men show . First Class is an abomination to X-men continuity imo and is reason the movies came after have big X-men related flaws.Very good movie Bad X-men adaption and it takes unnecessary liberties with franchise

10.X-men Last Stand- -X-men Last stand is like First Class it takes so much unnecessary liberties with franchise that effect of it screw the franchise subtlety until DoFP erase the timeline. This movie made it necessary for X-men to have to soft reboot the X-men.

11. X-men Wolverine Origins- This movie was so bad it made fox hesitant to make Wolverine movies ,It nearly made Deadpool never come out,It basically killed the Gambit movie, It made First Class necessary because the soft reboot of the X-men couldn't be used from this movie.