Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

double post
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Favorite X-Men Storyline from a Single Title

To me it seems that 2018 brought us way better stories than 2017. So let us all hope that upgoing quality continues in 2019. There were some big surprising developments like Kitty and Peter not getting married and Gambit and Rogue did instead. Who saw that one coming? Laura did quite well in her solo with the supporting cast of Jonathan and Gabby, Red debuted this year and came with a great first arc and Blue actually got better and better. Glad to see there were many more who loved these as well. Runner-up was Family Album of X23. Last year your most favorite story was Psych War (Jean Grey).

3rd Place
    With 26 points (4 x voted as #1)
    Attachment 76672
    CRY HAVOK / MOTHERVINE

You see kids, not all that X-Men Blue was bad. This was actually, one of the 3 best stories told.

2nd Place
    With 34 points (6 x voted as #1)
    Attachment 76673
    LOVE & MARRIAGE

Yes, love was in the air big time for Rogue and Gambit this year and you liking that shows off in many of the favorite categories. Their first adventure as husband and wife versus the Imperial Guard and Deathbird, was well loved

1st Place
    With 53 points (9 x voted as #1)
    Attachment 76674
    HATE MACHINE

Now, since X-Men Red was elected as the number 1 X-Men series of 2018, it should not come as a surprise that the story told in it, Hate Machine ended up as number 1 in this category. It was the first story in where the recently returned Jean Grey decided to spread love and Cassandra Nova did the opposite. Jean choose a base in Atlantis and gathered her own unique team, which brought new focus on Gentle and Namor, combined with newbies Trinary and Gabby and some core X-men who she considers friends, like Laura, Ororo Kurt and Remi. The only negatve sound we heard was sometimes about the art, but that's all. Let us hope, when Disassembled and AoXM are done with, that this X-Men team will get together again.

No time left to write a nice short article and come up with picture on the Least favorite stories.

I will continue Monday.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-11-2019 at 09:04 AM.

BANNED

You see kids, not all that X-Men Blue was bad. This was actually, one of the 3 most-liked stories told.
    Fixed that for you.

Only the X-Office could look at the Mothervine outline and decide to not only hijack it for mediocre Venom books, but to also not turn it into an X-crossover corner event.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

2nd Place
    With 55 points (11 x voted as #1)
    Attachment 76666
    DISASSEMBLED

We are currently almost at the end of this event. Funny thing is you hear a lot of (the same) people being not so positive about this. But I guess with these results we might conclude not all here think alike.
    In my case, I suppose there was a lot of wanting the book to live up to its potential a lot more than it did. There's the skeleton of a good story there and some themes I truly like, but the arc so far reads like a first draft in some respects. It makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Really...? Always fun some people are taking pleasure in correcting others. Look further, have fun with it as I probably made more. English is not my first language.

Least Favorite X-Men Storyline from a Single Title

Against every good story, we sometimes have to struggle through a bad one. There was especially a lot of criticism towards Gold this year, as you will see in some other awards as well. Such a shame, because the cast really looked promising. However the special focus on the leader of the team, threw some fans off. No surprise then to find some of the stories of Gold scoring high on the top 3 of many voters. Also Weapon X made a turn for the worst and the return of Xavier as X did not get a lot of applause. So which ones did hurt our X-Men loving hearts the most? Runner up: Negative Zone War.

3rd Place
    With 13 points (1 x voted #1)
    MAN CALLED X.jpg
    A MAN CALLED X

We though bringing back Xavier would be done in an awesome way. They took an approach we did not like that much. Fantomex sacrificing up his body, to Xavier. A tutor he actually barely knew? Art was not that great as well. In the end Charles mind swiped all X-Men (except Betsy) of what happened. Well, Xavier is easy erasing memories from his loved ones and so far, we haven't seen 'X' after this story.

2nd Place
    With 23 points (4 x voted #1)
    TILL DEATH.jpg
    TILL DEATH DO US PART

Lydia Nance, the anti-mutant lobbyist, and Alpha 0101, the most advanced Sentinel on the planet, have found each other and their goal is killing the X-Men, starting with Colossus. That so that Kitty, the star of Gold, could do what no other X-Men could; Save Peter.

1st Place
    With 33 points (6 x voted #1)
    DARK RACHEL.jpg
    DARK RACHEL SAGA

Remember when Mastermind influenced Jean Grey in becoming Dark Phoenix? Now replace Mastermind with Mesmero, replace Jean with Rachel and replace Dark Phoenix with the Hound and there you have a brand new story. Creativity points: zero. Though it made Rachel weaker for the real master of Hounds, to make her a permanent Hound again (for now) in another story.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 01-14-2019 at 05:30 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

2018 was a bad year for Rachel. God damn.

Did anyone vote for Rosenberg's short Astonishing run?

Favorite X-Writer

Good writing serves the reader, not the writer. ... Rather, good writing anticipates what questions readers will have as they read a piece, and (before they ask them) it answers them. That means most good writers are natural skeptics, especially regarding their own work. A good writer part make is anxious and impatient for the next issue to come out. We love a great cliffhanger! Some of the writers really understood their job and brought us unexpected developments, great character developments and made our heart tick faster or melt. These are the ones we want to stay on board the 'X-Men boat', runner up was Leah Williams.

Last year the top 3 were: 1 - Sina Grace (Iceman), 2 - Christina Strain (Generation X) and 3 - Gerry Duggan (UA, Desp. Deadpool)

3rd Place
    With 34 points (4 x voted #1)
    Matthew Rosenberg.jpg
    MATTHEW ROSENBERG

For his work on AXM, the NM mini series and Phoenix Resurrection.

2nd Place
    With 38 points (5 x voted #1)
    Tom Taylor.jpg
    TOM TAYLOR

For his work on All new Wolverine and X-Men: Red

1st Place
    With 51 points (8 x voted as #1)
    Kelly Thompson.jpg
    KELLY THOMPSON

This is the very first time a woman has won the favorite writer award on the annual X-Books Awards. Applause!! She did great work on 2 characters that seemed to have dropped of the core cast on the X-books: Gambit and Rogue. But she did a tremendous job with the Rogue & Gambit mini and the current Mr. & Mrs. X. Now let's jope readers of this forum get inspired to buy this series!

================================================== ================================================== ==

Least Favorite X-Writer

Sometimes you read a X-Men story and wionder if the writer really loves their job, or if they really feel a strong connection to the X-Universe. Because they just seem to write stories that does not make us happy at all. The one 'positive' thing this time is, that all those who wrote a bad series, made Marvel decide to cancel them. The top 3 was clear from the very first voter and on, these 3 writers really stood out and not in a positive way. You voted as follows. Now for the Least Favorite X-Writer, I will not put Hall of Shame pictures. So here we go. The shocking thing this year is that the complete top 3 has the same 3 writers in it as the year before!!

Last year is was on number 1: Marc Guggenheim (Gold), 2: Greg Pak (Weapon X) and 3: Charles Soule (IvX, Astonishing X-Men)

Now it is;

3rd Place
    With 16 points (2 x voted as #1)
    GREG PAK

For his work on Weapon X.

2nd Place
    With 34 points (6 x voted as #1)
    CHARLES SOULE

For his work on IvX and Astonishing X-Men

and surprise surprise...

1st Place
    With 59 points (10 x voted as #1)
    MARC GUGGENHEIM

For his work on Gold

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I can agree with the Least Favorite Writers, only that Pak should've been 1 or 2. lol Given he takes gritty hardened killers and turned them into millennial sitcom rejects.

Can't agree with ANYONE on the favorite list. I think Bunn deserves high praise for the crap he had to put up with, having little to no freedom from editorial -while writers like Pak & Guggenheim do whatever they please. Though in Pak's case, he pretty much admitted nobody at Marvel cared about WX which is why he could do a lot of stuff he did.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Y'all tsundere for Rosenberg. Admit it!

Honestly feel sorry for Soule. He's stuck with the stigma of IvX plus he goes through the trouble of bringing Charles back to life but that gets overshadowed by Wolverine and Jean coming back.

Also I'm surprised he got bumped up to 2nd . I guess that's because most forum users erased Pak from their memories.

Poor Rachel always the Hound never the Phoenix. Dark Rachel Saga summarize almost the entire period of X-men Gold a bad copy of classic stories.

X is another one that does not seem to have won fans around here but do not know the general opinion of readers and fans about him.Personally it hurts to see the character of Xavier continue in this spiral of destruction and hypocrisy almost do not remember that paternal and pacifist figure that once existed.

Congratulations to KELLY THOMPSON she deserved it and hope her work is rewarded by fans and readers.
    Last edited by Knives; 01-14-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Honestly feel sorry for Soule. He's stuck with the stigma of IvX plus he goes through the trouble of bringing Charles back to life but that gets overshadowed by Wolverine and Jean coming back.

Also I'm surprised he got bumped up to 2nd . I guess that's because most forum users erased Pak from their memories.
    In my case, it's because Pak's done work in the franchise I've actually enjoyed. IvX, all of the Wolverine stuff, the Astonishing run that petered out into nothing worth mentioning... I can't think of a single X-Book Soule has worked on that didn't leave me feeling bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Congratulations to KELLY THOMPSON she deserved it and hope her work is rewarded by fans and readers.
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

why feel sorry for him? His IvX was horrible and his Astonishing wasnt much better. Jean and Wolverine's resurrections have no bearing on that and its not like people would have looked at him more fondly had they not come back

Rosenberg is the new, hipster Bendis. His dialogue feels natural, his jokes generally hit, sometimes his characterization is on point, and sometimes it's totally off. Continuity for both is optional. He writes more conventional scripts than Brian and therefore has no Bendis speak, but he doesn't have great ideas or concepts like Bendis does. Matt continues the Bendis tradition of keeping Marvelites on their toes, just for the wrong reasons.

Soule is a great scripter and his other stuff is great, so clearly Lemire must have infected him with some sort of Panic virus in time for the event. Also, it was the culmination to his work on another line of books. Almost like jamming two runs from different writers and offices together into a shared climax event is a tricky thing that requires careful planning and good editors.

astonishing is cool and looked amazing, no bully
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate