Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I liked the other trailers, but this was (slightly) better. Can't wait for the actual movie.

Marvel needs to get rid of some of the colour grading of their movies so their movies can stop looking like games.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That term should not be thrown around with only a trailer around. And by the way, nothing suggests that she's going to be a Mary Sue, at worst she looks like the bland no-nonsense action girl.
    Yah you're right, its unfair to suggest she is a Mary Sue without knowing a lot more. What gets me thinking that way is that she is not being built up like the other heroes were built up. In this case I feel the her movie is acting as more of a setup or explanation for what happens in Endgame. And I'd rather that movie's resolution didn't rely on a character we hardly know appearing out of the blue.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Trailer looks good....I think I can safely say this'll be better than Ant-Man and the Wasp, which I thought was trash (Although the trailers for that film made it look like it'd be good).

I didn't know Jude Law is in this. Looks like there'll be a Ronan appearance, since Lee Pace is listed in the cast.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I'm sorry, after all the coverage I've been seeing (I've watched all the trailers and looks that are available at least three times a piece), I am simply not into this. I can't quite put my finger on why though. It may straight up be Brie Larson, I'm not sure, but I'm not thrilled or excited by any means. With most (if not virtually all) MCU movies I'm like "yea, definitely checking that out."

Let me say that Endgame is one I'll be catching weekend one, but this one… Nah. I'll wait until it's out to rent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I'm sorry, after all the coverage I've been seeing (I've watched all the trailers and looks that are available at least three times a piece), I am simply not into this. I can't quite put my finger on why though. It may straight up be Brie Larson, I'm not sure, but I'm not thrilled or excited by any means. With most (if not virtually all) MCU movies I'm like "yea, definitely checking that out."

Let me say that Endgame is one I'll be catching weekend one, but this one… Nah. I'll wait until it's out to rent.
    Yeah. Brie Larson just isn’t clicking for me. I’ve never watched anything else she’s been in (not a conscious choice) except Scott Pilgrim, and i can’t say I was impressed then either, but it was also a small and unimpressive role.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I was a pretty big Carol fan a couple years back, and these trailers do nothing for me. And I was originally very excited at the prospect of a Carol Danvers movie. It's all just a tad too generic. And what I've seen from Brie Larsen so far leaves me cold as well. I might see this if it airs on T.V. later on.
    I completely agree.

I used to read Ms Marvel on a regular basis. Carol was a broken character trying to pick herself back up. This trailer amplifies why I dropped the upcoming titles completely.

This feels forced and very bland (excluding the special effects). The cat looks like it has better acting skills than the protagonist and I can't find any interesting qualities with Movie Captain Marvel. It's about as exciting as white bread. I'll only see this when I can watch it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I completely agree.

I used to read Ms Marvel on a regular basis. Carol was a broken character trying to pick herself back up. This trailer amplifies why I dropped the upcoming titles completely.

This feels forced and very bland (excluding the special effects). The cat looks like it has better acting skills than the protagonist and I can't find any interesting qualities with Movie Captain Marvel. It's about as exciting as white bread. I'll only see this when I can watch it for free.
    I feel the same. None of the trailers have appealed. It all looks so . . . bland. I eagerly await when this movie comes out so we can finally see, once and for all, if this character actually appeals to the general audience. Based on the trailer reception, I think the answer is no. Everything I like about her only applies to the 616 version, and even then, most of that's downplayed these days. Sadly, she really was far more interesting to me as a flawed broken hero trying to live, heal, and become the best. This movie version feels like a generic Strong Female Character.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I completely agree.

Just judging by the trailers I am having a hard time determining who this movie appeals to other than die hard MCU fans and hard core feminists. But maybe that is enough. It will probably make the typical MCU money.
    I love female characters, Wonder Woman, She-Hulk, Catwoman, Rogue, Black Widow, Supergirl, Peggy Carter. But this character looks so bland and boring compared to them and so far I have no interest in seeing this movie.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/capt...ice-debut.html

Captain marvel the third highest grossing mcu film in pre ticket sales behind black panther and avengers!

Last edited by Gaastra; 01-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Captain marvel the third highest grossing mcu film in pre ticket sales behind black panther and avengers!
    So much for that argument!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Invincible Member

Ha! I hope certain segments of the interwebs are choking on this news!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    So much for that argument!
    I dunno. After all, Captain Marvel is an MCU movie, and the MCU is a strong brand so of course pre-sales will be high. Also, Fandango records, like box office records continue to be set and broken as time passes. Perhaps more people use Fandango than they did 10 years ago, so most of the Fandango pre-sales records are from comparatively recent movies.

The diehard MCU audience should be enough to guarantee domestic box office of $250-300 million, but to go higher it will really need to be a crowd favorite, and I just am not getting the vibe that it will. I don't even think Captain Marvel will turn into a "girls' night out" movie like Wonder Woman. We have been told by Marvel ever since Carol's Ms. Marvel days that she's a feminist icon, but that status has to be earned by the public, not be told to the public.

Wonder Woman is the only true feminist icon among superheroes as far as the general public is concerned, and I don't see anything in the CM trailers that will make me think things will change. I think Wonder Woman resonated so well with female audiences because Gal's portrayal was strong AND vulnerable. Brie's Captain Marvel seems a little too cold and tough, which is one-dimensional and keeps the audience from really caring about or investing in the character.

Did you hurt yourself?

I'd say the feminist icon argument is about to die next.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

There's been indications for awhile that the ho-hum feelings of some folks here are anecdotal and personal, and not representative of general reaction.

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-a...ame-imdb-2019/

We all like to project our personal feelings onto everyone else and think that all the world agrees with us (or ought to), but predicting a lackluster response to this movie seems ill-advised at this point. It may well under perform, but there's been no indication of that ever.