Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I wonder if 2019 is going to be the year of underperformers. It's very early in the year but Glass and Lego 2 have fallen short of box office opening predictions. Alita looks like it's going to be a casualty unless it has incredible legs. Can the How to Train Your Dragon rebound from the disappointing sequel? Will Dumbo be mediocre? Is the Hellboy reboot going to attract an audience? Lineup for 2019 seems weaker than 2018 to me, but then a Black Panther movie success story will never replicated again.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if 2019 is going to be the year of underperformers. It's very early in the year but Glass and Lego 2 have fallen short of box office opening predictions. Alita looks like it's going to be a casualty unless it has incredible legs. Can the How to Train Your Dragon rebound from the disappointing sequel? Will Dumbo be mediocre? Is the Hellboy reboot going to attract an audience? Lineup for 2019 seems weaker than 2018 to me, but then a Black Panther movie success story will never replicated again.
    Well, given that 2019 will have Captain Marvel, Shazam, Avengers Endgame, Joker, Spider-Man: Far from Home, The Lion King, It: Chapter 2, Aladdin, Frozen 2, Jumanji, and Star Wars IX, I think overall 2019 will be solid.

However, I'm thinking that Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral, Dumbo, Pet Sematary, Hellboy, John Wick:Chapter 3-Parabellum, Men in Black International, Shaft, Child's Play, Angry Birds Movie 2, and Charlie's Angels will all underperform.

Question marks are: Alita: Battle Angel, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Dark Phoenix, The Secret Life of Pets 2, Toy Story 4, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, and New Mutants, among others.

There just seems to be A LOT of sequels, spinoffs, reboots, and brand extensions to properties that I think are kind of worn out. Disney will have no less than three live action remakes of their animated features in the same calendar year.

I know we get tons of this stuff every year, and many of the top performers are sure to be the sequels mentioned above, but there is a limit to how many times Hollywood can go back to the same well.

I don't know if it'll happen this year, but I think we're going to see some kind of market correction soon and a lot of these high priced franchises will start to wither.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-15-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, given that 2019 will have Captain Marvel, Shazam, Avengers Endgame, Joker, Spider-Man: Far from Home, The Lion King, It: Chapter 2, Aladdin, Frozen 2, Jumanji, and Star Wars IX, I think overall 2019 will be solid.

However, I'm thinking that Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral, Dumbo, Pet Sematary, Hellboy, John Wick:Chapter 3-Parabellum, Men in Black International, Shaft, Child's Play, Angry Birds Movie 2, and Charlie's Angels will all underperform.

Question marks are: Alita: Battle Angel, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Dark Phoenix, The Secret Life of Pets 2, Toy Story 4, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, and New Mutants, among others.

There just seems to be A LOT of sequels, spinoffs, reboots, and brand extensions to properties that I think are kind of worn out. Disney will have no less than three live action remakes of their animated features in the same calendar year.

I know we get tons of this stuff every year, and many of the top performers are sure to be the sequels mentioned above, but there is a limit to how many times Hollywood can go back to the same well.

I don't know if it'll happen this year, but I think we're going to see some kind of market correction soon and a lot of these high priced franchises will start to wither.
    Jumanji 2? Had no idea excited for that curious if they just put those avatars in a different environment. Man 2019 looks good is bad boys 3 coming out this year or next. Also toy story 4 and Hobbs and shaw are probaly not that big of question Mark's. Well Hobbs and shaw maybe.

Secret life of zpets 2 is Louie still in that or did they recast TD? I have no issues with him bring in it the guy said his apologies and paid a price let him try to move forward otherwise what's the point if we dont allow people to try to be better. That said it's a kids movie so maybe he should be off this one iono I'm conflicted

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

I think Dark Phoenix is dead in the water. The only serious money it will make will be from China. It will be interesting to see how Hobbs and Shaw do without the original cast. And I can't believe Disney is releasing 3 live action animated features in one year. I thought that's a bit overkill.

I agree with you about franchise/sequel/reboot fatigue. The International markets are saving Hollywood big time. North American audience is tired of some of these franchises but everywhere else laps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    And I can't believe Disney is releasing 3 live action animated features in one year. I thought that's a bit overkill.
    There's no "bit" about it. It's overkill. They need to cut out that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Jumanji 2? Had no idea excited for that curious if they just put those avatars in a different environment. Man 2019 looks good is bad boys 3 coming out this year or next. Also toy story 4 and Hobbs and shaw are probaly not that big of question Mark's. Well Hobbs and shaw maybe.

Secret life of zpets 2 is Louie still in that or did they recast TD? I have no issues with him bring in it the guy said his apologies and paid a price let him try to move forward otherwise what's the point if we dont allow people to try to be better. That said it's a kids movie so maybe he should be off this one iono I'm conflicted
    Patton Oswald is the new voice.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Most Marvel movies always get a "meh" reaction from me anyway.

Seriously people, they've never been that great.
    Who ever said their movies were great. Marvel movies are over hyped by the Disney machine. Mistaking over hype for great is a common thing. Brie Larson is very boring to watch. The movie looks ooc cooperate, even for a MCU film.

Don't push the fake hype.

Why did the media ever push the news the movie will make 160m. How much does Disney pay this people. it must be small change compared to Disney paying big box for black panther to get nominated for an oscar, another one of their not so great movies

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    There's no "bit" about it. It's overkill. They need to cut out that crap.
    Well until studios are willing to PAY for original ideas-this is what you get.

Why did the media ever push the news the movie will make 160m. How much does Disney pay this people. it must be small change compared to Disney paying big box for black panther to get nominated for an oscar, another one of their not so great movies

Where is the evidence to prove that Disney PAID folks off. Don't let bitter entitlement fans on youtube or Twitter get to you.

Because all you are doing is disrespecting every single person who worked on those films.

Because reality check there are folks who actually LIKE those films.

That is not a crime. And it's sad we got GROWN men so insecure in their manhood trying to make that movie fail. What they fail ti realize is the more they CRY-the EASIER it is to use them as scapegoats if the film fails.

Personally, I think SC Reviews is wildly unreliable and is skewed toward some anti-diversity SJW hate angle. Honestly, why people take such vile garbage seriously.

Here is movie critic that gives a much more credible and level headed analysis of Captain Marvel's box office

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Personally, I think SC Reviews is wildly unreliable and is skewed toward some anti-diversity SJW hate angle. Honestly, why people take such vile garbage seriously.

Here is movie critic that gives a much more credible and level headed analysis of Captain Marvel's box office
    While I think Captain Marvel will do great box office opening weekend, I find Grace to be unreliable about anything she's ever opined about. She's quite embarrassing, tbh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Where is the evidence to prove that Disney PAID folks off. Don't let bitter entitlement fans on youtube or Twitter get to you.
    Yes, the only people who pushed this news were the people who actually take the pre-release tickets, and who've proven themselves to be pretty good at their predictions. A few misses, but the great majority of the time, the folks who actually have a business model based on ticket sales have, surprisingly, been very good at predicting ticket sales.

Well until studios are willing to PAY for original ideas-this is what you get.

Because all you are doing is disrespecting every single person who worked on those films.

Because reality check there are folks who actually LIKE those films.

That is not a crime. And it's sad we got GROWN men so insecure in their manhood trying to make that movie fail. What they fail ti realize is the more they CRY-the EASIER it is to use them as scapegoats if the film fails.
    These arent new thoughts the idea that somehow Disney paid off everyone and Black Panther is actually not good is some nonsense the same couple posters have been saying for months. People cant comprehend that something they dont like can be good no matter how much evidence to the contrary there is.

And it's sad we got GROWN men so insecure in their manhood trying to make that movie fail. What they fail ti realize is the more they CRY-the EASIER it is to use them as scapegoats if the film fails.
    Captain Marvel has quite a impressive run of hate against literally every facebook post with it has "salty white men" complaining here is couple samples of it

"Im boycotting this movie because of the main actress ... If she wasnt a SJW. Fighting against men i would be happy to see it in theaters "

"Joseph Roland will not be watching something that has an agenda for feminists. i hope your movie blows"

"Jeremy Brescoach Nah, gonna save my money for Shazam!, because those people didn't let a flash in the pan actress call me evil based off my skin color and gender"

"Matt E. Mayhem Racist, sexist idiot. I won't give her my white Male money. I'll see it streaming on Netflix... maybe. Screw you #Disney"

"Ryan Palmer Looks good. Too bad Marvel went and got political. It's gonna be hard to watch, knowing it's a feminist statement film"

I am rooting for Captain Marvel to be success and them to realize there voice does not matter in the grand scheme.

Grace Randolph is weird. I don't like to hear from her.

But I don't understand how people are thinking Captain Marvel will perform badly. We are talking about Marvel here. Unless the film is terrible (which I think is highly unlikely. We are talking about MCU), this film will do great at the box office. I won't be surprised if it reaches a billion.

100 million opening is solid. Aquaman was below 100 million. And that has now crossed Dark Knight Rises.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Captain Marvel has quite a impressive run of hate against literally every facebook post with it has "salty white men" complaining here is couple samples of it

"Im boycotting this movie because of the main actress ... If she wasnt a SJW. Fighting against men i would be happy to see it in theaters "

"Joseph Roland will not be watching something that has an agenda for feminists. i hope your movie blows"

"Jeremy Brescoach Nah, gonna save my money for Shazam!, because those people didn't let a flash in the pan actress call me evil based off my skin color and gender"

"Matt E. Mayhem Racist, sexist idiot. I won't give her my white Male money. I'll see it streaming on Netflix... maybe. Screw you #Disney"

"Ryan Palmer Looks good. Too bad Marvel went and got political. It's gonna be hard to watch, knowing it's a feminist statement film"

I am rooting for Captain Marvel to be success and them to realize there voice does not matter in the grand scheme.
    Larson is doing herself no favours, she is making it about gender not about the movie. can someone tell her wonder woman came out first so the gender angle is already too late to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    These arent new thoughts the idea that somehow Disney paid off everyone and Black Panther is actually not good is some nonsense the same couple posters have been saying for months. People cant comprehend that something they dont like can be good no matter how much evidence to the contrary there is.
    Are you still trying to convince us Black Panther is deserving of Oscars?lol

sc reviews is reliable as he is one of the few who is willing to say the truth. I loved his BAFTAS recap. it was true when he said black panther wining best visual effects over first man, the crimes of grindelwald, ready player one was ridiculous.
    I doubt he is anti diversity. He doesn't ever say something is good because it is diverse. Believe it or not that is how most people think. Diversity can never be a substitute greatness when it concerns the artistic merit of a movie. This was black panther's downfall. it looks like it is going to be captain marvel's downfall.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-17-2019 at 11:21 PM.