Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mighty Member

I wonder if 2019 is going to be the year of underperformers. It's very early in the year but Glass and Lego 2 have fallen short of box office opening predictions. Alita looks like it's going to be a casualty unless it has incredible legs. Can the How to Train Your Dragon rebound from the disappointing sequel? Will Dumbo be mediocre? Is the Hellboy reboot going to attract an audience? Lineup for 2019 seems weaker than 2018 to me, but then a Black Panther movie success story will never replicated again.

Incredible Member Comic-Reader Lad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if 2019 is going to be the year of underperformers. It's very early in the year but Glass and Lego 2 have fallen short of box office opening predictions. Alita looks like it's going to be a casualty unless it has incredible legs. Can the How to Train Your Dragon rebound from the disappointing sequel? Will Dumbo be mediocre? Is the Hellboy reboot going to attract an audience? Lineup for 2019 seems weaker than 2018 to me, but then a Black Panther movie success story will never replicated again.
    Well, given that 2019 will have Captain Marvel, Shazam, Avengers Endgame, Joker, Spider-Man: Far from Home, The Lion King, It: Chapter 2, Aladdin, Frozen 2, Jumanji, and Star Wars IX, I think overall 2019 will be solid.

However, I'm thinking that Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral, Dumbo, Pet Sematary, Hellboy, John Wick:Chapter 3-Parabellum, Men in Black International, Shaft, Child's Play, Angry Birds Movie 2, and Charlie's Angels will all underperform.

Question marks are: Alita: Battle Angel, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Dark Phoenix, The Secret Life of Pets 2, Toy Story 4, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, and New Mutants, among others.

There just seems to be A LOT of sequels, spinoffs, reboots, and brand extensions to properties that I think are kind of worn out. Disney will have no less than three live action remakes of their animated features in the same calendar year.

I know we get tons of this stuff every year, and many of the top performers are sure to be the sequels mentioned above, but there is a limit to how many times Hollywood can go back to the same well.

I don't know if it'll happen this year, but I think we're going to see some kind of market correction soon and a lot of these high priced franchises will start to wither.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, given that 2019 will have Captain Marvel, Shazam, Avengers Endgame, Joker, Spider-Man: Far from Home, The Lion King, It: Chapter 2, Aladdin, Frozen 2, Jumanji, and Star Wars IX, I think overall 2019 will be solid.

However, I'm thinking that Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral, Dumbo, Pet Sematary, Hellboy, John Wick:Chapter 3-Parabellum, Men in Black International, Shaft, Child's Play, Angry Birds Movie 2, and Charlie's Angels will all underperform.

Question marks are: Alita: Battle Angel, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Dark Phoenix, The Secret Life of Pets 2, Toy Story 4, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, and New Mutants, among others.

There just seems to be A LOT of sequels, spinoffs, reboots, and brand extensions to properties that I think are kind of worn out. Disney will have no less than three live action remakes of their animated features in the same calendar year.

I know we get tons of this stuff every year, and many of the top performers are sure to be the sequels mentioned above, but there is a limit to how many times Hollywood can go back to the same well.

I don't know if it'll happen this year, but I think we're going to see some kind of market correction soon and a lot of these high priced franchises will start to wither.
    Jumanji 2? Had no idea excited for that curious if they just put those avatars in a different environment. Man 2019 looks good is bad boys 3 coming out this year or next. Also toy story 4 and Hobbs and shaw are probaly not that big of question Mark's. Well Hobbs and shaw maybe.

Secret life of zpets 2 is Louie still in that or did they recast TD? I have no issues with him bring in it the guy said his apologies and paid a price let him try to move forward otherwise what's the point if we dont allow people to try to be better. That said it's a kids movie so maybe he should be off this one iono I'm conflicted

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

I think Dark Phoenix is dead in the water. The only serious money it will make will be from China. It will be interesting to see how Hobbs and Shaw do without the original cast. And I can't believe Disney is releasing 3 live action animated features in one year. I thought that's a bit overkill.

I agree with you about franchise/sequel/reboot fatigue. The International markets are saving Hollywood big time. North American audience is tired of some of these franchises but everywhere else laps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    And I can't believe Disney is releasing 3 live action animated features in one year. I thought that's a bit overkill.
    There's no "bit" about it. It's overkill. They need to cut out that crap.