Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I have to take my hat off to you. This sums up not only this debate but hundreds of others raging on these forums and the internet in general. It is all a matter of perspective, and some seem totally unable to get any perspective on this topic.

When a liberal academic makes a comment on the problematic sexism in a comic they are referring to it’s place in the wider culture, but comic fans act like it is an attack on their life choices.

When a movie star comments on the demographic of the critics they find themselves talking to they are again commenting on a far wider phenomenon, but comic book fans see it as an attack on everything they hold dear and consequentially an attack on them and where they live.

When a news outlet pokes gentle fun at the costumed fans lining up to watch a movie, they see it as offensive and an attack on their way of life. When a younger group of fans latch onto a new and subtly different aspect of their favourite character or intellectual property they react like their personal possessions are being stolen from them. When a writer uses a different tone or voice for their favourite characters or team and it sells well, they react as if someone has brainwashed their family.

When a normal person reads about any of these ‘controversial issues’ they don’t think “hmm those disgruntled people have a very sound point” they think “what is the big issue it’s just a comic book”, and by saying that they actually have some perspective.
    You are NOT wrong.

On some of this, there is certainly a nostalgia factor. This is the way it always was (even when there was a different version before that) and they are daring to change it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

So I have no problems with the revamp.
    This isnt the spoiler thread

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    You are NOT wrong.

On some of this, there is certainly a nostalgia factor. This is the way it always was (even when there was a different version before that) and they are daring to change it.
    Except that to take this line the fan is ignoring the constant changes that comics have always had, so it seems odd. I remain convinced that the current situation is partly an unintended outworking of the early direct market, which deliberately and perhaps cynically made the audience feel like everything was just for them.

Ultimate Member

Except that to take this line the fan is ignoring the constant changes that comics have always had, so it seems odd. I remain convinced that the current situation is partly an unintended outworking of the early direct market, which deliberately and perhaps cynically made the audience feel like everything was just for them.
    They don't mind change when it panders to THEM or don't view it as an attack on them.

No one cared about race changing Kingpin and others. Then came a Black Johnny Storm. Suddenly it's an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They don't mind change when it panders to THEM or don't view it as an attack on them.

No one cared about race changing Kingpin and others. Then came a Black Johnny Storm. Suddenly it's an issue.
    When did they have a race switched Kingpin?

BANNED

Fox’s Daredevil. Michael Clark Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    And the MTV Spider-Man. Michael Clarke Duncan came back to voice his character.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I remember a few people scratching their heads over the choice of Clark, but they still gave the DD movie a chance. When they didn't like it, no one said that Clark's race was the problem.

On the other hand, this was before "The Culture Wars"tm.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I remember a few people scratching their heads over the choice of Clark, but they still gave the DD movie a chance. When they didn't like it, no one said that Clark's race was the problem.

On the other hand, this was before "The Culture Wars"tm.
    MCD was a great Kingpin he just didnt get much to work with. Kingpin should always be a guy who's behind the scene but when he decides to get his hands dirty anyone under Spiderman in power level could have a problem. MCD made you feel that though just wish he was given more. D'eOnfario was just given a way better script to work with but I think MCD was an underrated actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I watched that so long ago I have totally forgotten. Or blanked it. I just remember thinking Bullseye was terrible and not much more at all.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Someone on twitter said that Carol was a better character than Steve and deserved to be in front of the Endgame poster instead of him. Does anybody here share that opinion?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Someone on twitter said that Carol was a better character than Steve and deserved to be in front of the Endgame poster instead of him. Does anybody here share that opinion?
    LOL.....nope.

But why does it have to be either/or?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    LOL.....nope.

But why does it have to be either/or?

BANNED

Someone said on Twitter that cake > pie.

Like...yeah, someone probably believes that. It’s a big world.

what kind of cake and what kind of pie?
    The J-man