Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Looks like it's a 90s buddy cop movie with powers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I thought the hilarious and jokes was a give away.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-20-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Add it to the list of category of movies Marvel has dipped into.. but somehow every movie they make is the same according to a few disgruntled people.

Love how Alot of reviews say it feels nothing like any other Marvel movies. The reviews got me way more interested.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Add it to the list of category of movies Marvel has dipped into.. but somehow every movie they make is the same according to a few disgruntled people.
    And they are. No amount of shill reviewers or exaggerating fans can sway those people from that opinion. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-21-2019 at 02:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And they are. No amount of shill reviewers or exaggerating fans can sway people from that opinion.
    Very true to the matter. The reviews all sound well planned.

Last edited by Jeramas; 02-21-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And they are. No amount of shill reviewers or exaggerating fans can sway those people from that opinion. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    It's actually not much of a matter of opinion. Are you really suggesting that Black Panther, Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp(literally the last three MCU movies, I don't even have to go back much) are all same or follow some same formula? Really?

And please stop with "shill/paid reviewers". You have zero proof whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It's actually not much of a matter of opinion. Are you really suggesting that Black Panther, Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp(literally the last three MCU movies, I don't even have to go back much) are all same or follow some same formula? Really?

I don't think it's crazy to suggest that the MCU has a formula. It does. In fact, Disney kind of specializes in brands with strong formulas/identities: If I say "Disney Movie," "Star Wars Movie," "Pixar Movie," and, yes, "Marvel Movie," people have an idea of what that means -- and many people will have the SAME ideas about each brand. I'm thinking this is exactly what Disney WANTS.

Many, not all of course, Marvel movies seem to mix big action scenes with some goofy humor with dialogue that is filled with quips and pop culture references. It's lazy writing as far as I'm concerned, but it works.

Just the fact that many reviewers are getting all giddy about (1) Carol's cat and (2) the 90s music tells me we'll be getting goofy cat humor plus perhaps some goofy dancing like GOTG. This time, the goofy dancing will be to 90s cheesy songs instead of 70s cheesy songs.

Not every Marvel movie is 100% identical, that's not what anyone is saying, but yes there are tonal commonalities among them. I'm sure that Captain Marvel will have many of the hallmarks of the MCU formula. Why not, when it's a winning formula? But there IS a formula.

As far as the shill/paid reviewers, I'm skeptical about that. It could be true or it could be that reviewers are ass kissing Disney just to stay in Disney's good graces to be part of the "preferred critics club." Praising Disney, and in particular, Marvel movies is good for clicks, so I can see it happening, but I'm still skeptical that Disney is instigating it.

I think they don't need to any more than Marvel needs to pay fans to be Marvel Zombies and shill their comics. Marvel has plenty of fans who have been doing it voluntarily, and for free, for decades.

Right now, Disney is riding high, so I would attribute all the effusive, overly-glowing reviews to the cult/bandwagon effect.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-21-2019 at 04:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

what would the reviews be if these movies were not made by Marvel. that is the proof. Someone has to wonder how critics ended up loosing so much credibility with Marvel and Disney movies. A person would have to be in denial to think Black Panther is the highest rated movie of all time by critics.

Ant-Man and The Wasp was the worst comic film of 2018, even Venom was more interesting. there is the proof.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I don't think it's crazy to suggest that the MCU has a formula. It does. In fact, Disney kind of specializes in brands with strong formulas/identities: If I say "Disney Movie," "Star Wars Movie," "Pixar Movie," and, yes, "Marvel Movie," people have an idea of what that means -- and many people will have the SAME ideas about each brand. I'm thinking this is exactly what Disney WANTS.

Many, not all of course, Marvel movies seem to mix big action scenes with some goofy humor with dialogue that is filled with quips and pop culture references. It's lazy writing as far as I'm concerned, but it works.

Just the fact that many reviewers are getting all giddy about (1) Carol's cat and (2) the 90s music tells me we'll be getting goofy cat humor plus perhaps some goofy dancing like GOTG. This time, the goofy dancing will be to 90s cheesy songs instead of 70s cheesy songs.

Why do you think it works? when does lazy writing ever work. they wanted proof that these people are shills. praising movies with lazy writing is proof.

Look at the marvel reviews, the content is usually weak. lazy writing, senseless spectacles, hilarious jokes.

As far as the shill/paid reviewers, I'm skeptical about that. It could be true or it could be that reviewers are ass kissing Disney just to stay in Disney's good graces to be part of the "preferred critics club." Praising Disney, and in particular, Marvel movies is good for clicks, so I can see it happening, but I'm still skeptical that Disney is instigating it.
    Last Jedi, Black Panther, Spiderman Homecoming. these movies were hyped up instigated by Disney. One thing I have seen with the alita vs cm rivalry is how people are saying although alita does not have the right arm of Disney backing her or the media she is resonating with people.
    Right now, Disney is riding high, so I would attribute all the effusive, overly-glowing reviews to the cult/bandwagon effect
    if they are riding high why can't they just focus on the merits of their movies. how good are the effects in alita? how good is the female character? What makes Alita good. its a movie. Alita ain't ranting about feminism and girl power to distract from any weakness of the movie.

I have yet to see how hilarious and jokes is now the standard for over glowing reviews. only happens with MCU films. was this the standard for Dark Knight or Logan?
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-21-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Why do you think it works? when does lazy writing ever work. they wanted proof that these people are shills. praising movies with lazy writing is proof.

Look at the marvel reviews, the content is usually weak. lazy writing, senseless spectacles, hilarious jokes.

Last Jedi, Black Panther, Spiderman Homecoming. these movies were hyped , instigated by Disney.

if they are riding high why can't they just focus on the merits of their movies. how good are the effects in alita? how good is the female character? What makes Alita good. its a movie. Alita ain't ranting about feminism and girl power to distract from any weakness of the movie.

I have yet to see how hilarious and jokes is now the standard for over glowing reviews. only happens with MCU films. was this the standard for Dark Knight or Logan?
    The humor of the Dark Knight Trilogy's Alfred has always been noted.

The MCU has had a continuing storyline with evolving characters for 10 years and 20 plus films call it bad or formulaic if you want but it wasn't lazy.

I HATED TLJ but it was a Star Wars film and the return of Luke Skywalker have you lived in a cave for 40 years? That movie was always going to be hyped by simply existing. Black Panther was the first marketed main stream superhero film with a mostly black cast it was going to get hype. Yeah Blade was Marvel and I loved the first two Blade movies but most General Audience members had no clue Blade was a Marvel Character or Superhero back then.

Homecoming was Spider-Man's first solo film in what is right now the biggest film franchise on Earth again it was going to be hyped and Disney only caused it by their success of the of the MCU.

Astonishing Member

what would the reviews be if these movies were not made by Marvel. that is the proof. Someone has to wonder how critics ended up loosing so much credibility with Marvel and Disney movies. A person would have to be in denial to think Black Panther is the highest rated movie of all time by critics.

Ant-Man and The Wasp was the worst comic film of 2018, even Venom was more interesting. there is the proof.
    Um, none of that is proof. That's speculation and your own very strong opinion.

Marvel formula? I wont't say that's completely off base but what many call a formula is called good plot structure, the classic hero's journey. Movies like Guardians of Galaxy and Winter Soldier are similar in so far as movies like Star Wars and the Matrix are similar.

Last Jedi, Black Panther, Spiderman Homecoming. these movies were hyped , instigated by Disney. One thing I have seen with the alita vs cm rivalry is how people are saying although alita does not have the right arm of Disney backing her or the media she is resonating with people.
    Yes these movies were hyped... It's called marketing. Why do people have issues with hype??

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Spoiler alert. Your opinion is not 'proof'

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Spoiler alert. Your opinion is not 'proof'
    It is interesting how a movie starring a female character like "Alita Battle Angel" gets such a low score on Rotten Tomatoes even though just about everyone else who saw the movie loved it.
    While I can almost guarantee that "Captain Marvel" will be in the high 90s. Has any of the Disney Marvel movies ever got a rotten review. Surely they can't all be perfect.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It is interesting how a movie starring a female character like "Alita Battle Angel" gets such a low score on Rotten Tomatoes even though just about everyone else who saw the movie loved it.
    While I can almost guarantee that "Captain Marvel" will be in the high 90s. Has any of the Disney Marvel movies ever got a rotten review. Surely they can't all be perfect.
    The MCU movies have had RT critic scores from 97% (Black Panther) to 66% (Thor: The Dark World). Out of 20 movies, they have the following distribution: 60%-69% 2 movies, 70%-79% 3 movies, 80%-89% 7 movies, 90%-100% 8 movies.

If you add in the TV shows, then the scores drop. Inhumans (11%) and Iron fist (38%) are the only 2 that have rotten scores.