Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I really disagree with that. Thor is my favorite Marvel character, and I don't like the first 2 Thor movies. Didn't bother to see Ragnarok as I was not liking what I was seeing with "retoning" the character. Also didn't bother to see GOTG 2 and Ant-Man & Wasp based on how I didn't care for the first installments.

But I've seen most of the MCU movies, and I'd put Aquaman above Iron Man 2, 3, Ant-Man, GOTG, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Thor 2, Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man: Homecoming for sure.

I don't think there are DC Zombies in the critics pool. Certainly not enough to give DC Films the crazy out of whack RT scores that Marvel Movies gets. But it seems you agree that the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe experience carries through from movie to movie, which as I said, has the effect of lifting all boats.

Critics aren't really judging each movie in isolation. As long as each MCU movie hits the common formula points, it will produce the Pavlov's dog response in both critics and audiences and they really won't ponder a particular MCU film too deeply as to whether it's lacking any individual artistic merit.

OK, we're agreeing. Critics are caught up in the MCU experience and that does favors for the individual movies that are "less than." Because Aquaman and Alita were "just" good movies that aren't part of a larger franchise universe, there isn't the same level of hysteria around their release. It does seem that based on the momentum of the franchise, critics and audiences go into each movie primed and ready to like it. Whereas with Aquaman, it was more that they were hoping to like it.

But still, we haven't heard from people who have seen BOTH Alita: Battle Angel and Ant-Man/Wasp.

Was Ant-Man/Wasp a better movie than Alita or not? If not, why do you think the critics thought that it was?
    Curious what's out of whack about the marvel movies RT scores, they are the opposite of out of whack in that critical reception usually matches audience reception pretty close compared to alot of stuff. Harder to tell these days with movies like Black Panther and Cpatain Marvel getting sabotaged by fake reviews but you know what I mean Mavel movies are pretty in line even something like Thor the Dark world did better with audiences then critics. The only way I can see someone saying they are out of whack is if you think both audiences and Critcis are "Marvel Zombies" and reception on both sides is out of whack.

Rotten Tomatoes the whole picture:

Iron Man: 93% (Critic Score)/91% (Audience Score).
    Incredible Hulk: 67%/70%.
    Iron Man 2: 73%/71%.
    Thor: 77%/76%.
    Captain America the First Avenger: 80%/74%.
    Avengers: 92%/91%.
    Iron Man 3: 80%/78%.
    Thor the Dark World: 66%/76%.
    Captain America the Winter Soldier: 90%/92%.
    Guardians of the Galaxy: 91%/92%.
    Avengers Age of Ultron: 75%/83%.
    Ant-Man: 82%/86%.
    Captain America Civil War: 91%/89%.
    Dr. Strange: 89%/86%.
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: 84%/81%.
    Spider-Man Homecoming: 92%/88%.
    Thor Ragnarok: 92%/87%.
    Black Panther: 97%/79%.
    Avengers Infinity War: 85%/91%.
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: 88%/77%.

In 90 percent or so the Critic and Audience Scores are close so do you really believe everyone is a Disney Shill or Marvel Zombie? As for Aquaman 65%/77% again not a major departure from Critics.

Again as for Alita how many people who saw it were fans before seeing the film?
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-22-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Fantastic Member

Aquaman is much better than homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

Thor Ragnarok: 92%/87%.

In 90 percent or so the Critic and Audience Scores are close so do you really believe everyone is a Disney Shill or Marvel Zombie? As for Aquaman 65%/77% again not a major departure from Critics.

No, I don't think everyone is a Disney Shill.

Yes, I do think -- and know -- that Marvel Zombies exist. We've had Marvel Comics Zombies for decades, and now we have Marvel Movie Zombies. So, it is not surprising that the Audience score is close to the Critics' score. That was never my thesis.

It's fine. It's great that Marvel has such a devoted fanbase, but it does make comparing RT scores of good movies to the MCU scores a little crazy.

As for Alita, millions of manga fans were fans of it (and the audience RT score was very high). In any event, why does one need to be a pre-existing fan of something in order to appreciate a good movie?

Critics are supposed to be professionals at judging artistic merit in movies. It is not a prerequisite to be a fanboy of the source material in order to judge the movie.

BANNED

Thor R

agnarok: 92%/87%.

Everyone is not a Disney shill but there is a sufficient amount of critics that give MCU movies a pass. Now if it was another studio with these films. the scores won't be the same. Many people can bet their lives on it now.
    reason rotten tomatoes has lost so much credibility.

Darm. It just hit me that Inception and X-Men First Class have lower rt scores to the movies that stole so cheaply from them. Black Panther and Dr Strange. lol.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-22-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Yes, I do think -- and know -- that Marvel Zombies exist. We've had Marvel Comics Zombies for decades, and now we have Marvel Movie Zombies. So, it is not surprising that the Audience score is close to the Critics' score. That was never my thesis.

It's fine. It's great that Marvel has such a devoted fanbase, but it does make comparing RT scores of good movies to the MCU scores a little crazy.

As for Alita, millions of manga fans were fans of it (and the audience RT score was very high). In any event, why does one need to be a pre-existing fan of something in order to appreciate a good movie?

Critics are supposed to be professionals at judging artistic merit in movies. It is not a prerequisite to be a fanboy of the source material in order to judge the movie.
    Critics scores don't count, audience scores don't count, huge box office returns don't count, fans on forums don't count. Nothing counts when it comes to Disney. EVERYTHING is fishy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    The media and critics hyped Homecoming to make us try and forget Tobey's Spiderman. 92% for Homecoming.lol. Captain Marvel will have around the same score even if in those early reactions none of those critics have actually talked about the writing, CGI or directing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    You felt the need to say this here out of nowhere because?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    You felt the need to say this here out of nowhere because?
    To show how little credibility rotten tomatoes has. The next step to build the captain marvel hype will be rotten tomatoes.

They are they judge the MCU films for what they are a few great films like Civil War or Infinity War but most are just fun, well made, competent superhero films and they're judge on that level. You judge a Big Mac by Other Fast Food Burgers or Past Big Macs not a Michelin Star Restaurant Meal. People walk in expecting a good time and a well made and competent story and that's what they get and hence good scores. Just like of course you'll judge better films on a harsher scale than fluff and I love the MCU films but most are just that fun fluff as is most superhero films.

As for the DCEU for better or worse Superman is one of the trapped in a box characters in fiction. Since WWII not counting Elseworlds and the DC Multi verse I'm talking in main continuity in comics, in books, on Radio, in films and TV Superman has always been portrayed as the boy scout so people expect him one way hence the divided opinions on Man of Steel even though a well made film also honestly Synder has a habit of making his DC films pretentious with his Jesus imagery and attempts at social commentary but pretentious in that high school jock writing poetry kind of way you know they get the basics but doesn't understand the meaning. BvS the theatrical cut was a mess and the ultimate cut while more cohesive a story suffered from miscasting of Lex Luthor and a bloated film what was originally a Superman Sequel turned into a throw everything in it film hey look Batman, look Wonder Woman, look Justice League Cameos, look Parademons in a weird dream or vision of the future, oh look Doomsdays, wait look Death of Superman it was a bloated mess with enough material for at least 4 films if not more and it's critic scored reflected that the public were more forgiving. Suicide Squad another mess due to studio meddling but it was fun so the audience liked it and critics still just saw a mess. Wonder Woman the one everyone thought was really good, Justice League a Frankenstein of a film that again critics disliked for valid reasons but the masses were more forgiving but not completely forgiving of it's flaws. Last Aquaman it has many things going for it a charismatic lead, visually stunning, fun can not under estimate how most people want fun in their Superhero film unless something like Batman where grim and realistic/grounded fits. But like BvS it was bloated just not as messy but the film had enough material for 3 Aquaman films in it so it got a lower score.

If everyone is Marvel Zombies explain the Fox Films or Amazing Spider-Man films when they get lower scores? Most average film goers have no idea the difference between XCU/Sony/MCU my mum was disappointed when I explained Wolverine wouldn't be in Infinity War with all the other heroes.

Mighty Member

The MCU RT scores are fine. If you want something that smells look at GB2016. All critics 74%; top critics 60%; audience 51%. IMHO the marketing campaign succeeded in making critics afraid to give a rotten. Especially the non top critics.

BANNED

If everyone is Marvel Zombies explain the Fox Films or Amazing Spider-Man films when they get lower scores? Most average film goers have no idea the difference between XCU/Sony/MCU my mum was disappointed when I explained Wolverine wouldn't be in Infinity War with all the other heroes.

To underestimate movie goers to this extent, to say movie goers can't tell the difference from all the marvel movies. What movie goers think DOFP, Logan, Spiderman 1 are MCU movies? It's like not knowing the difference between 90s Disney and 90s Dreamworks.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The MCU RT scores are fine. If you want something that smells look at GB2016. All critics 74%; top critics 60%; audience 51%. IMHO the marketing campaign succeeded in making critics afraid to give a rotten. Especially the non top critics.
    GB2016 would be fine too if MCU rt scores are fine. when something has gotten so divisive. Not one of us gets to pick and choose what becomes fine. a person can say last jedi and force awakens are fine too. GB2016 score is far from fine for the same reason black panther's rt score is far from fine. Critics dug himself to the rabbit hole. they should have maintained the traditional approach to reviews they gave to Sony/FOX/WB. If you think GB2016 was controversial, Captain Marvel could be worse. people see that , so they want to take down the race and sexist accusation strategy, critics want to use to excuse any major flaws of the movie. a strategy that is fuelled into the media by Disney itself.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 02-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    To underestimate movie goers to this extent, to say movie goers can't tell the difference from all the marvel movies. What movie goers think DOFP, Logan, Spiderman 1 are MCU movies? It's like not knowing the difference between 90s Disney and 90s Dreamworks.

GB2016 would be fine too if MCU rt scores are fine. when something has gotten so divisive. Not one of us gets to pick and choose what becomes fine. a person can say last jedi and force awakens are fine too. GB2016 score is far from fine for the same reason black panther's rt score is far from fine. Critics dug himself to the rabbit hole. they should have maintained the traditional approach to reviews they gave to Sony/FOX/WB. If you think GB2016 was controversial, Captain Marvel could be worse. people see that , so they want to take down the race and sexist accusation strategy, critics want to use to excuse any major flaws of the movie. a strategy that is fuelled into the media by Disney itself.
    For the life of me I can't seem to figure out what GB2016 is, can you/someone elaborate?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    For the life of me I can't seem to figure out what GB2016 is, can you/someone elaborate?
    It's shorthand for Ghostbutsters (2016), with the female cast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Ghostbusters. Took me awhile too because neither the concept nor the sentence structure make any sense in context, or in any other way.