Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Ghostbusters. Took me awhile too because neither the concept nor the sentence structure make any sense in context, or in any other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's shorthand for Ghostbutsters (2016), with the female cast.
    I ended up googling and got my answer. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    The media and critics hyped Homecoming to make us try and forget Tobey's Spiderman. 92% for Homecoming.lol. Captain Marvel will have around the same score even if in those early reactions none of those critics have actually talked about the writing, CGI or directing.
    They arent allowed to. They are allowed to give short Twitter reviews untill the Embargo is lifted. So people saying they loved it and Larson and mendelson were great are about as detailed as they are allowed to get untill next month. Alot of reviews do talk about how beautiful the cosmic stuff is . It's already been stated the embargo is so close to release just like Infinity war to avoid spoilers. But nice try

Incredible Member

Looks like this thread is no longer about the movie but big numbers and other movies. Sad.

Rotten Tomatoes is a pass/fail system. I don't get why some people don't understand this only thing rotten tomatoes tells is what percentage of critics liked a movie. Rotten Tomatoes treats a 100 movie and a 70 movie by a critic the same exact way. So 330 movies critics could vote a movie as 70% and it gets only 10 bad reviews. It is going to be 90s on Rotten tomatoes,The people complaining about RT don't seem understand that. Rotten Tomatoes score is not a critic quality score but a general critic enjoyment score.

The RT percentage is kinda a deceptive thing.People attach quality to it but a good review no score ,thumbs up,3 out of 4, 5 out of 5, Go see it, 7 out of 10, and B+ are all the same thing when RT get it.If you are using RT to talk about quality film that is your issue. Rotten Tomatoes is system designed to help you pick out a movie showing how many film critics favorably review it.

If Rotten Tomatoes was trying to judge quality they would have a set scoring system and a set amount of people who review every movie. If you are out here getting worked up RT scores it is you not understanding what RT is in reality .If you are trying to use Rotten Tomatoes for quality. You look at section that says "Top Critics" and read reviews of verified accomplished movie critics.An aggregate collection of positive and negative scores barely says anything about the overall quality of a movie. RT has never hidden what it is

As an exercise here is a small sample size some quantifiable "good" movies

Roma 96 /73
    Star is Born 90/80
    Green Book 79/94
    Bohemian Rhapsody 68/88
    The Favorite 94/ 65
    Black Klansman 96/82
    Vice 66/57
    Black Panther 97/79
    If Beal Street could talk 94/68
    First Man 87/66
    Cold War 92/84

The Shape of Water 92/73
    Lady Bird 99/79
    Get out 98/86
    Dunkirk 92/81
    La La Land 91/81
    Moonlight 98/79
    Birdman 91/77
    The Revenant 78/84
    Wolf of Wall street 78/82
    12 Years a Slave 95/90

Yeah even though it is not a perfect science Rotten tomatoes is pretty good at picking out quality movies.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-22-2019 at 02:45 PM.

BANNED

Seeing all this stupid YouTube videos makes me want to replay a scene from "Jay and Silent Bob strike back". Would take quite some time to do though.

I mean seeing all that "she does not smile" stuff was stupid enough, but now it takes that to a whole new level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Seeing all this stupid YouTube videos makes me want to replay a scene from "Jay and Silent Bob strike back". Would take quite some time to do though.
    Decry people with alternative tastes and opininos with a scene from a film directed by one of the biggest media shills in existence

Logical.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post

I mean seeing all that "she does not smile" stuff was stupid enough, but now it takes that to a whole new level.
    I watched Jay and Silent Bob recently and it was telling how prescient that scene was. Nowadays, though, films are being made with non-white male leads and the sickening underbelly of people's true feelings comes out. Racism, misogyny, homophobia - it's all there.

Decrying people with alternative tastes? Hating a film you haven't seen because it has a woman lead is not an alternative taste. It's just straight out hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I watched Jay and Silent Bob recently and it was telling how prescient that scene was. Nowadays, though, films are being made with non-white male leads and the sickening underbelly of people's true feelings comes out. Racism, misogyny, homophobia - it's all there.

Decrying people with alternative tastes? Hating a film you haven't seen because it has a woman lead is not an alternative taste. It's just straight out hatred.

As a white guy Im so heavily catered to by the general media that frankly it'd be nice to see something different. Its why I liked Black Panther. Afro-futurism is so rarely seen on the big screen. Am I supposed to be annoyed that it shits on white people at times ? I'm British, my nation literally owned one third of the planet via rocking up to undeveloped nations and putting guns to their head. To ignore that is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post

I think it is more just this particular woman lead. The bloggers and YouTube folks love Alita Battle Angel and most everyone was fine with Wonder Woman so it can't just be they hate women or are racist.
    Or homophobic in the case of Wonder Woman, being as it was well known the Wonder Woman also took pleasure in women. Most the hate of Captain Marvel seems to be because Brie Larson is being sexist and racist
    towards white men. At least that is how she comes off to them. That she hates white men. So to say they are racist, sexist, and homophobic because they don't like Captain Marvel is disingenuous. When someone
    attacks a group of people based on their race or gender of course there is going to be push back by those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Decry people with alternative tastes and opininos with a scene from a film directed by one of the biggest media shills in existence

Logical.
    I'm all for different opinions, but all the conspiracy theories, slandering Ms. Larson, defaming charities, the sexist comments, ... All that crosses a line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think it is more just this particular woman lead. The bloggers and YouTube folks love Alita Battle Angel and most everyone was fine with Wonder Woman so it can't just be they hate women or are racist.
    Or homophobic in the case of Wonder Woman, being as it was well known the Wonder Woman also took pleasure in women. Most the hate of Captain Marvel seems to be because Brie Larson is being sexist and racist
    towards white men. At least that is how she comes off to them. That she hates white men. So to say they are racist, sexist, and homophobic because they don't like Captain Marvel is disingenuous. When someone
    attacks a group of people based on their race or gender of course there is going to be push back by those people.
    Yep, inviting more women and women of color to her press days is being racist and sexist to white men. Who is really being disingenuous here? If they can't step back for one moment and see the amazing amount of privilege that white men have had for a very, very, very long time... well.

Imagine if instead of putting all that energy into hating something (they haven't seen) and making ridiculous videos on the Internet they instead tried to learn and understand other people's experiences.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Most the hate of Captain Marvel seems to be because Brie Larson is being sexist and racist
    towards white men. At least that is how she comes off to them. That she hates white men. So to say they are racist, sexist, and homophobic because they don't like Captain Marvel is disingenuous.
    She has been very outspoken on issues for YEARS.
    Where were all this hate for her when she was doing Scott Pilgrim? United States of Tara? 21 Jump Street? Kong Skrull Island? Unicorn?
    Nobody was staging boycotts of those films.

http://shawnsjames.blogspot.com/2019...anga-fans.html

The reason why I’m launching this indiegogo on March 5 is to opening so my fellow members of ******* and comic fans all over the world can make a statement about the kind of superheroine we want to see in comics and the kind of stories we want to see superheroines featured in. The week of March 5 is when Marvel Studios Captain Marvel opens all across the country. I want to take that week to offer readers a product that presents an alternative to the far left narrative Marvel presents in comics featuring heroines like Carol Danvers Captain Marvel, Kamala Kahn Ms. Marvel Squirrel Girl and Unstoppable Wasp and show them a heroine in a story that presents them action and adventure, not identity politics and social justice.
    Brie is being used by some as the tool to OPENLY go after this movie. And unlike DC choosing to alienate Wally West, John Stewart, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown and so many other fans by burying them in favor of Hal & Barry & Babs. They don't support her.
    It's not really about her-it's about going after a character that many feel have no business with a movie.

That is why you see other females like WW, Harley, Xena and so on being used to attack this film.
    The same guys tossing Monica's name would be going off if this film was about her. They would be doing it WORST.

When someone attacks a group of people based on their race or gender of course there is going to be push back by those people.
    So this behavior is FINE? Doing all the stuff dreyga2000 stated?

Well, Captain Marvel opens up in just two short weeks on March 8.

I suspect that if you like the MCU movie formula, Captain Marvel will be another win for you. I don't see Feige taking this movie so far afield from what fans expect that the fanbase they've built up over the last 10 years would turn on it.

For me, I need to hear from those who are outside the core audience to determine whether I'll see it at the theater or just wait for the Blu-Ray. I'm definitely going to see it either way, it's just a matter of how/when I do so.

Right now, based on what I've seen, I'm Blu-waiting, but I'm willing to go to the theater if it gets noticeable praise from those who do NOT automatically praise anything the MCU puts out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Well, Captain Marvel opens up in just two short weeks on March 8.

I suspect that if you like the MCU movie formula, Captain Marvel will be another win for you. I don't see Feige taking this movie so far afield from what fans expect that the fanbase they've built up over the last 10 years would turn on it.

For me, I need to hear from those who are outside the core audience to determine whether I'll see it at the theater or just wait for the Blu-Ray. I'm definitely going to see it either way, it's just a matter of how/when I do so.

Right now, based on what I've seen, I'm Blu-waiting, but I'm willing to go to the theater if it gets noticeable praise from those who do NOT automatically praise anything the MCU puts out.
    What? So you need other people to validate what you believe? And why proclaim this on a message board? Are there specific people that you're looking for to tell you it's ok to go see a movie? Or is it a way to say hey look at me I'm super hip because I'm not a MCU shill? If what you've seen so far makes you want to not see it in theaters then that's fine but to be waiting on someone (whoever's this person is) to tell you it's ok to watch is a little ridiculous. Own your feelings and beliefs.

I've seen the trailers and I'm probably going to see it on opening day which is something I almost never do. By and large, I just wait for Netflix or a DVD. The only recent exceptions have been Black Panther, Infinity War and Aquaman.

I haven't really followed the sexist arguments and I suspect it's such an insular group of sexists that 99.9% of the movie going audience has not even heard of the arguments.
    Power with Girl is better.