Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Last Jedi got good reviews, among the professional reviewers.
    Who cares what they think? It's the will of the people I care about, and there's a massive divide with that film. NOTHING the shill media or the box office say or demonstrate can disguise or excuse the lasting damage it did on the franchise and fandom. I say that as someone who liked that film

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    What was wrong with how it was conveyed??
    People targeting the film don't like how the media have conveyed the themes in their shill articles. They haven't done the movie any favours enabling Brie Larson for her comments (which she likely regrets now), some columnists ran with it in full on prejudiced pieces, which only ruffled more feathers. Stop assuming all of this bile and toxicity comes from only one side when it is just as much triggered by the other
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-03-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    ...People targeting the film don't like how the media have conveyed the themes in their shill articles. They haven't done the movie any favours enabling Brie Larson for her comments (which she likely regrets now), some columnists ran with it in full on prejudiced pieces, which only ruffled more feathers. Stop assuming all of this bile and toxicity comes from only one side when it is triggered by the other as part of their crusade to be on the "right side of history"
    Brie said nothing wrong.

The only people making noise about it are those sympathetic with comic "fans" coalesced around the idea of comicsgate. Feige and Marvel don't care about those whiners. Those are the same people who objected to a Black Panther movie -- chauvinists.

Don't blame Brie or those like me arguing for her point as "triggering" those against this movie. Those people are against this movie no matter what.

The people crying over a female Captain Marvel aren't fans and never were fans of Mar-vell or Carol Danvers. Mar-vell was a damned hippie, and I loved him, Rick Jones, Jim Starlin and their series for it. No real fans of the original Mar-vell would have any issue with a female Captain Marvel. Getting over hangups was a major theme of Starlin's run.

The major theme of Carol Danvers > Ms. Marvel > Binary > Ms. Marvel > Captain Marvel has always been female empowerment, a co-opting of the women's movement to create a comic character.

Just like Black Panther, this movie is going to do well (probably not AS well as Black Panther, though) and the comicsgate people are hapless in their ability to stop it.

BANNED

I've voiced my displeasure at many of the trailers and my general lack of excitement for the film (here and elsewhere), and I haven't once been called misogynistic for doing so.

I wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I've voiced my displeasure at many of the trailers and my general lack of excitement for the film (here and elsewhere), and I haven't once been called misogynistic for doing so.

I wonder why...
    Maybe because your complaints haven't been about Captain Marvel's gender?

Also, if you're a Marvel fan, how can't you be excited about the actual Skrulls and Kree coming to the MCU?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Maybe because your complaints haven't been about Captain Marvel's gender?
    I mean, I'm a cis-gedner, white male (although I am gay), I should have been raked over the COALS for not liking the trailers.

But maybe you're right.

Or maybe it's the gay thing that's saving me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Who cares what they think? It's the will of the people I care about, and there's a massive divide with that film. NOTHING the shill media or the box office say or demonstrate can disguise or excuse the lasting damage it did on the franchise and fandom. I say that as someone who liked that film

People targeting the film don't like how the media have conveyed the themes in their shill articles. They haven't done the movie any favours enabling Brie Larson for her comments (which she likely regrets now), some columnists ran with it in full on prejudiced pieces, which only ruffled more feathers. Stop assuming all of this bile and toxicity comes from only one side when it is just as much triggered by the other
    I've really just about given up on arguing with people about their fantasy conspiracy theories about the "shill" critics. It's based on nothing. In fact, there's even another shill critic conspiracy about how Disney pays critics to give bad reviews to non-Disney movies.

It all comes down to the fact that critics don't evaluate movies by the same standards some people do. Hyperspace doesn't work that way is not a technicality that a critic is going to care about and they aren't going to judge the themes of the movie on whether they like those themes but on how well they were done. Although in the few reviews of TLJ I've read, neither hyperspace or social justice themes were even mentioned. In fact, Richard Roeper, in talking about the best movies of recent years even said something along the lines of: And then there's Star Wars and we know that Star Wars fans never evaluate entire movies on trivial factors.

But people are going to believe what they want to believe and if it makes someone feel better to believe that the real reason the trained professional critics give good scores to movies someone personally doesn't like, nothing is going to dissuade them.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

The people crying over a female Captain Marvel aren't fans and never were fans of Mar-vell or Carol Danvers. Mar-vell was a damned hippie, and I loved him, Rick Jones, Jim Starlin and their series for it. No real fans of the original Mar-vell would have any issue with a female Captain Marvel. Getting over hangups was a major theme of Starlin's run.
    This, not to mention Carol has been around for only about 45 years at this point. Normally when you go to the fan-hood as a measuring stick argument it's a weird entitlement angle but here's the exception. Strange times. I think it's great we're seeing projects on screen from the Starlin era, love it. Rick Jones Mar-vell was one of the first back issues I ever bought when I was a kid. Captain Mar-vell wasn't on the action figure circuit and didn't make it to animation or coloring books so seeing him for the first time and battling the Hulk was kind of a revelation back in the day.

I will say I was on the fence about this movie anyway but all the misdirected shade makes me actually want to make time for it on GP.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I mean, I'm a cis-gedner, white male (although I am gay), I should have been raked over the COALS for not liking the trailers.

But maybe you're right.

Or maybe it's the gay thing that's saving me.
    There are legitimate complaints and legitimate criticism.

Then there is whining complaints and empty critiques.

You've definitely fallen into the first catagory.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I think a major factor is the anonymity of the Internet and how it allows deeply seated bigotries free rein through that anonymity.

It's not just major movies or comic book boards. I know this may seem off the wall but bear with me here.

One of my favorite old shows was "Bewitched", a comedy show. Metaphorically, it said a lot of things about racism and even defended "mixed" marriages. There is a lot of documentation showing that, while this was never talked about in front of network executives, the writers in their meetings regularly talked about sneaking in messages against racism. Elizabeth Montgomery, who played the main character, Samantha, openly attacked racism and later was a strong advocate for gay rights.

Now this is ironic because there are plans for a new syndicated version of "Bewitched" in which the main character, Samantha, is played by a black actress. So I typed "Bewitched television remake" into a search engine (so as not to confuse it with the movie version Nicole Kidman did in around 2005) and went to a forum where they were talking about it and it was almost nothing but criticism of casting a black actress as Samantha and very clear most of this was because it made a lot of people feel like they couldn't relate to the character or possibly be attracted to her physically. There was also the fact that her husband, Darrin, was still white. But, to make it somewhat different from the original in which Darrin was a hardworking advertising executive, he's lazy in this version. There were endless people who just assumed this was somehow an attack on white people.

But hey, that was one message board. So I went to another forum. Same exact things. So I went to another forum. Same arguments and accusations.

So I repeat, I don't think it's even just comic book fans or big movies. This kind of suppressed hatred and racism and general bigotry is coming out of the woodwork in all kinds of contexts.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    This, not to mention Carol has been around for only about 45 years at this point. Normally when you go to the fan-hood as a measuring stick argument it's a weird entitlement angle but here's the exception. Strange times. I think it's great we're seeing projects on screen from the Starlin era, love it. Rick Jones Mar-vell was one of the first back issues I ever bought when I was a kid. Captain Mar-vell wasn't on the action figure circuit and didn't make it to animation or coloring books so seeing him for the first time and battling the Hulk was kind of a revelation back in the day.

I will say I was on the fence about this movie anyway but all the misdirected shade makes me actually want to make time for it on GP.
    As someone who was a kid in the 1970s, its hard to feel that sort of entitlement with Danvers. She really was not that interesting or compelling. Other female characters like Jessica Drew, Jean Grey, Black Widow, Sue Storm and Crystal from the Inhumans were way more interesting in that era and still conveyed the same messages. Looking back with more perspective, Danvers was Marvel's first attempt at a true solo female book and they just made a lot of missteps. Bad execution, bad timing, bad concept.

This movie has the chance to change a lot of minds about the character, and really introduce Marvel's only female franchise, and I'm cautiously excited about that. But I fully admit that some of my negative feelings for this movie also stem from being burned that we never saw a solo Black Widow movie. Such a better character than Carol Danvers!

But oh well, still going to see this for sure, mainly because its just the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-04-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

China opening sales may end up at $95m!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    As someone who was a kid in the 1970s, its hard to feel that sort of entitlement with Danvers. She really was not that interesting or compelling. Other female characters like Jessica Drew, Jean Grey, Black Widow, Sue Storm and Crystal from the Inhumans were way more interesting in that era and still conveyed the same messages. Looking back with more perspective, Danvers was Marvel's first attempt at a true solo female book and they just made a lot of missteps. Bad execution, bad timing, bad concept.

This movie has the chance to change a lot of minds about the character, and really introduce Marvel's only female franchise, and I'm cautiously excited about that. But I fully admit that some of my negative feelings for this movie also stem from being burned that we never saw a solo Black Widow movie. Such a better character than Carol Danvers!

But oh well, still going to see this for sure, mainly because its just the right thing to do.
    Carol has less baggage and more toys to bring to the MCU than Black Widow. So it should be a boon, either way. We've seen most of what made Black Widow special via all the men already, which sucks for her IMHO. I'm all for streamlining Carol, she's needed it for decades.

That being said, it does not diminish the lack of a solo Black Widow film or the need for one.

A solo BW film not happening first shouldn't be a reason for poorly critiquing an unreleased film. That's on Disney/Marvel missing the boat and has nothing to do with the quality of Friday's release.

I don't think the latter is what you're arguing for, mind you.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Plus, we do have BW movie coming out next year anyway

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Funny, I remember how I wasn't interested in her during the red and blue costume era but how I began to connect with her in her first Anvengers run in her mythic navy blue costume.
    She was fun, genuinly happy to be here and professionnal! They didn't stress her feminist aspect but she didn't need to. She was no damsel-in-distress.

I've been a little far away from comics for alittle while and wasn't there when she took the Captain Marvel mantle, but I think that was a logical step for her like the destiny she had eluded all those years.
    And I'm happy Black Widow will get a movie, because I don't think she will be in the next avengers. It's a good way to keep the character, I'd like to see her with Hawkeye in a Shield movie, she can do plenty, if Johansonn agrees, with the character outside of the Avengers! More spy things!
    And we'll get that Wanda series! I hope she will stay with the Avengers, I think we haven't seen enough of Scarlet witch far from it.
    With all that and the X-Men and Fantastic Four coming to the MCU, I think the women of Marvel have great days ahead!