Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 610
  1. #31
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    I'm sure I'll see it, if nothing else so I can discuss it!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  2. #32
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There's been indications for awhile that the ho-hum feelings of some folks here are anecdotal and personal, and not representative of general reaction.

    https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-a...ame-imdb-2019/

    We all like to project our personal feelings onto everyone else and think that all the world agrees with us (or ought to), but predicting a lackluster response to this movie seems ill-advised at this point. It may well under perform, but there's been no indication of that ever.
    There folks out there who're basically rooting for it to fail. Not fans who simply think the character is boring or think the trailer looks meh, but other people who have an agenda that they want to push.

  3. #33
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There folks out there who're basically rooting for it to fail. Not fans who simply think the character is boring or think the trailer looks meh, but other people who have an agenda that they want to push.
    That happens with the DC movies as well (I've been accused of that myself). But in this forum I don't get that sense so much beyond a couple of predictable posters.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Did you hurt yourself?

    I'd say the feminist icon argument is about to die next.

    Based on what do you say this?

    I believe Captain Marvel will do just fine at the box office. I've never said otherwise, so I'm not one of those who are rooting for the film to fail. In previous pages and other threads, I've said the movie could do $800 million worldwide.

    However, I'm not seeing a Wonder Woman-esque pent-up frenzy from the general female population to see this movie, so I don't see Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman being spoken of in the same breath as far as being a feminist icon is concerned. Of course, that takes time, so we'll see if her movie and her appearance in Endgame lifts Captain Marvel to that status.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,295

  6. #36
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    That happens with the DC movies as well (I've been accused of that myself). But in this forum I don't get that sense so much beyond a couple of predictable posters.
    There's not tons of it here, but other places I've been seeing for months some people claiming that this movie will bomb because of alleged SWJ politics or something.

  7. #37
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So yea I'm not buying it unless this movie is exciting the regular folk way more then us comic nerds.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So yea I'm not buying it unless this movie is exciting the regular folk way more then us comic nerds.
    Every indication available is that is exactly what is happening.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  9. #39
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    To me that would be insane. I cannot imagine CM beating Aquaman's domestic total, let alone his WW take. I could see it topping his opening weekend but even at 140M? That would be MCU power because the trailers looked underwhelming to me.

  10. #40

    Default

    Let's take a look at the opening weekends for every movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to see how well they've opened and how realistic a $140 million opening is.

    This list is sorted by ranking in overall domestic box office, but the top 7 also had the openings over $140 million.

    1 Black Panther $202,003,951
    2 Avengers: Infinity War $257,698,183
    3 Marvel's The Avengers $207,438,708
    4 Avengers: Age of Ultron $191,271,109
    5 Iron Man 3 $174,144,585
    6 Captain America: Civil War $179,139,142
    7 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $146,510,104

    8 Spider-Man: Homecoming $117,027,503
    9 Guardians of the Galaxy $94,320,883
    10 Iron Man $98,618,668
    11 Thor: Ragnarok $122,744,989
    12 Iron Man 2 Par. $128,122,480
    13 Captain America: The Winter Soldier $95,023,721
    14 Doctor Strange $85,058,311
    15 Ant-Man and the Wasp $75,812,205
    16 Thor: The Dark World $85,737,841
    17 Thor $65,723,338
    18 Ant-Man $57,225,526
    19 Captain America: The First Avenger $65,058,524
    20 The Incredible Hulk $55,414,050


    Here's the same list, but the opening weekend has been adjusted to the 2019 average ticket price of $8.83, so that we can compare all the MCU movies irrespective of when they were actually releasd. This list is sorted in descending order by opening weekend. In this list, we can see that Iron Man 2 jumps above $140 million opening. Because of the idiosyncrasies of the list, some opening weekends actually went down. I guess IMAX tickets throw things off.


    1 Avengers: Infinity War $242,587,900
    2 Marvel's The Avengers $225,576,800
    3 Avengers: Age of Ultron $196,158,400
    4 Black Panther $194,726,500
    5 Iron Man 3 $183,496,000
    6 Captain America: Civil War $181,191,100
    7 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $144,545,700
    8 Iron Man 2 $143,568,700

    9 Iron Man $121,281,700
    10 Thor: Ragnarok $118,065,200
    11 Spider-Man: Homecoming $115,717,000
    12 Guardians of the Galaxy $103,075,900
    13 Captain America: The Winter Soldier $100,727,400
    14 Thor: The Dark World $90,666,500
    15 Doctor Strange $85,445,400
    16 Ant-Man and the Wasp $75,812,200
    17 Captain America: The First Avenger $72,351,000
    18 Thor $72,002,100
    19 The Incredible Hulk $68,148,500
    20 Ant-Man $61,248,700


    Here, we can see on either list that only a handful of MCU movies have opened up above $140 million even on the 2nd list where we adjust for ticket price increases. Regarding the linked article, CBR says that the estimate that they quote is really just from one website and it's really too early to get accurate estimates.

    If indeed there is a higher demand for Captain Marvel tickets, it would be interesting to understand WHY the demand is there. Is it because people are excited for the character or because they feel the movie is an essential prelude for Avengers: Endgame? Or some other reason?

  11. #41
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    I would have thought the demand would be because people expect that Captain Marvel will be the next Wonder Woman. Whether that really translates to popularity and box office. we'll see. But right now I'd say its a girl power movie just like WW was, in the eyes of most women.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  12. #42
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Based on what do you say this?

    I believe Captain Marvel will do just fine at the box office. I've never said otherwise, so I'm not one of those who are rooting for the film to fail. In previous pages and other threads, I've said the movie could do $800 million worldwide.

    However, I'm not seeing a Wonder Woman-esque pent-up frenzy from the general female population to see this movie, so I don't see Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman being spoken of in the same breath as far as being a feminist icon is concerned. Of course, that takes time, so we'll see if her movie and her appearance in Endgame lifts Captain Marvel to that status.
    I am. Guess we'll see how that goes. My girls are more pumped than they were for Wonder Woman and all the women I work with are excited to see an ass-kicking woman that isn't there for male T&A fantasies. Anecdotes vs. anecdotes.

    My guess since it's already breaking records, Captain Marvel will be a household name and icon when this is said and done. There needs to be more than JUST Diana ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Let's take a look at the opening weekends for every movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to see how well they've opened and how realistic a $140 million opening is.

    If indeed there is a higher demand for Captain Marvel tickets, it would be interesting to understand WHY the demand is there. Is it because people are excited for the character or because they feel the movie is an essential prelude for Avengers: Endgame? Or some other reason?
    Without doing extensive research, it looks like the early tracking on most of those movies a month to six weeks out tended to be close to, or under estimating, the actual numbers. With a respectable track record for these projections, things look pretty solid for Captain Marvel. Also, I suspect most of the public doesn't know she will have anything to do with the Endgame.

    If they do, I would expect that could be bad news for Captain Marvel, as I doubt Endgame will be more than an end credits scene in her movie.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 01-14-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,852

    Default

    So here's the list again with the actual numbers followed by their box office projections 3-6 weeks out. I couldn't find numbers for 4 films, and I think only 2 or three failed to beat the projected box office totals, and most did so by a considerable margin.

    I'd say Captain Marvel's prospects are looking pretty rosy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    1 Black Panther $202,003,951 - $120 Million
    2 Avengers: Infinity War $257,698,183 - $200 Million
    3 Marvel's The Avengers $207,438,708 - $125 Million

    4 Avengers: Age of Ultron $191,271,109 - $200 Million
    5 Iron Man 3 $174,144,585 - $125 Million
    6 Captain America: Civil War $179,139,142 - $175 Million

    7 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $146,510,104 - $150 Million
    8 Spider-Man: Homecoming $117,027,503 - $90 Million
    9 Guardians of the Galaxy $94,320,883 - $65 Million

    10 Iron Man $98,618,668 - $60 Million
    11 Thor: Ragnarok $122,744,989 $90 Million
    12 Iron Man 2 Par. $128,122,480 - $98 Million
    13 Captain America: The Winter Soldier $95,023,721 - $80 Million
    14 Doctor Strange $85,058,311 - $75 Million
    15 Ant-Man and the Wasp $75,812,205 $75 Million
    16 Thor: The Dark World $85,737,841 $75 Million

    17 Thor $65,723,338 - Can't find a true projection, but opening night reports suggested opening weekend of $60 Million
    18 Ant-Man $57,225,526 - $65 Million
    19 Captain America: The First Avenger $65,058,524
    20 The Incredible Hulk $55,414,050
    Last edited by AJBopp; 01-14-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  15. #45
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,295

    Default

    John campea says first night showings are selling out and it took him some tries to get a showing not sold out! (at about 7:29)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •