Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Regardless of how audiences and RT users felt about the movie, the critics RT for Captain Marvel has dropped considerably now that more reviews are in. It's still above the 75% needed to be "Certified Fresh," but now the Critics RT score for Captain Marvel sits at 80%.

Putting that into perspective, the following MCU movies have lower or equal Critics' RT scores than Captain Marvel:

Iron Man 3 - 80%
    Captain America: The First Avenger - 80%
    Thor - 77%
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - 75%
    Iron Man 2 - 73%
    Thor: The Dark World - 67%
    Incredible Hulk - 67%

So, 13 MCU movies have higher Critics' RT scores and 7 have equal or lower scores.

Of these 7 lowest scorers, only Captain America: The First Avenger was worth a damn to me. The remainder are among the dregs of the MCU.

It is nothing short of a crime the age of Ultron is that low. Like what?! Same goes for Iron Man 3.

Is Captain Marvel really only at this level?
    I personally thought it was the worse MCU movie I have seen like Aquaman level bad. This is coming from a guy that has been follow Carol since Reed's Ms. Marvel run in 2006

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    See, this is what I'm talking about. I'm sure that you realize that movies make most of their money up front and that, regardless of what happens from here on out, a strong opening weekend performance makes Captain Marvel a hit, period.
    I won't deny that Captain Marvel is a short-term success, even with a historically bad drop in week 2 the movie is surely already profitable. My concern is about what happens next, after what has been an aggressive and self-destructive marketing campaign. With everything that has been said and done things can't go back to the way they were. Rotten Tomatoes has ruined it's reputation and the other aggregate website also lost credibility. People are going to stay angry at Disney, so much drama and they only got a mediocre movie in return. The consequences of these events will eventually be reflected in Disney's bottom line, like from TLJ to Solo, one way or another.

Regardless of how audiences and RT users felt about the movie, the critics RT for Captain Marvel has dropped considerably now that more reviews are in. It's still above the 75% needed to be "Certified Fresh," but now the Critics RT score for Captain Marvel sits at 80%.

Putting that into perspective, the following MCU movies have lower or equal Critics' RT scores than Captain Marvel:

Iron Man 3 - 80%
    Thor - 77%
    Iron Man 2 - 73%
    Incredible Hulk - 67%

So, 13 MCU movies have higher Critics' RT scores and 7 have equal or lower scores.

Of these 7 lowest scorers, only Captain America: The First Avenger was worth a damn to me. The remainder are among the dregs of the MCU. Is Captain Marvel really only at this level?
    Like I said its towards the bottom of the MCU totem pole which still makes it by popular opinion a fun movie. Regardless of your feelings none I'd those movies are hated in large numbers. Incredible Hulk the closes thing to a flop financially or critically and it still clears the bar. But yes this movie isnt at the top of marvels list with most people but it's still well like and only appears to be decisive with a small chunk of people on the internet. Compared to most block busters this movie is a home run. When you compare it to the MCU on large it's like a double, maybe a triple with an error

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad

Iron Man 3 - 80%
    Thor - 77%
    Iron Man 2 - 73%
    Incredible Hulk - 67%

Of these 7 lowest scorers, only Captain America: The First Avenger was worth a damn to me. The remainder are among the dregs of the MCU. Is Captain Marvel really only at this level?
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    So 4 out of 5 critics think it's good?
    Yes, but as you can see, it's coming in on the lower end of the 21 movies.

Also, it's worth noting that praise, and Critics' RT scores, for the MCU has grown over the years.

The other low rated movies are all from Phase 1 & 2. Avengers: Age of Ultron is the most recent movie on this list.

Captain Marvel is the lowest rated Phase 3 movie, and since Endgame is the final entry in Phase 3, it will undoubtedly remain so.

So 646m first weekend is this confirmed? Got a google alert for whatever reasons but it's from some weird Australia site

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I won't deny that Captain Marvel is a short-term success, even with a historically bad drop in week 2 the movie is surely already profitable. My concern is about what happens next, after what has been an aggressive and self-destructive marketing campaign. With everything that has been said and done things can't go back to the way they were. Rotten Tomatoes has ruined it's reputation and the other aggregate website also lost credibility. People are going to stay angry at Disney, so much drama and they only got a mediocre movie in return. The consequences of these events will eventually be reflected in Disney's bottom line, like from TLJ to Solo, one way or another.
    The idea that this hurts the next Marvel film's chance at making a profit might actually be more unlikely than the prediction that Larson might have caused a stir would hurt this film's.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So 646m first weekend is this confirmed? Got a google alert for whatever reasons but it's from some weird Australia site
    No, it's $455 million first weekend worldwide ($153mm domestic + $302mm foreign).

I'm sure it will do much better than my original $800 million prediction.

I think the chances are pretty great that it will earn over $1 billion by the end of its theatrical run. It's already almost half way there.

BANNED

Do you honestly believe the people angry at Disney weren't already angry before? That they weren't angry of all this "SJW" stuff? Do you honestly believe that independent-thinking, honest, good-natured people were so incensed by Larson's comments that they can not now nor will they ever be able to support a Marvel or Disney film ever again? Really?

Or perhaps these people were always mean-spirited and they will continue to be?

And that they're such a small minority that the bottom line of future Marvel movies will be hurt in only the traditional way i.e. if it's a poor quality film then fewer people will see it?
    Last edited by sammy_hansen; 03-11-2019 at 01:31 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Do you honestly believe the people angry at Disney weren't already angry before? That they weren't angry of all this "SJW" stuff? Do you honestly believe that independent-thinking, honest, good-natured people were so incensed by Larson's comments that they can not now nor will they ever be able to support a Marvel or Disney film ever again? Really?

Or perhaps these people were always mean-spirited and they will continue to be?

And that they're such a small minority that the bottom line of future Marvel movies will be hurt in only the traditional way i.e. if it's a poor quality film then fewer people will see it?
    Exactly.

If the people that were angry were a substantial number of people, it would have affected the movie on day one. The amount of men that are so affected by Brie Larson's comments are obviously so small that it's not having any effect on the movie's performance. The movie could experience a significant drop week 2 but that would be due to its quality and not because of "angry,white men".

Some youtubers were lying that there were empty seats at the theaters on Friday and that the movie is already a failure, after the movie opens, they are now scrambling to change the narrative. I've already seen some of the youtubers shift the discussion to the "long term effect" on the MCU because Captain Marvel itself is already a hit. Absolute nonsense.

These guys are tying themselves in knots because their original argument was an utter failure (i.e white men will boycott movie because of Brie Larson's comments). The fact is, the amount of men that are actually offended by what Larson said are very few. Most adults don't define themselves by the media they consume, there are far more important things in their lives than what some movie star said.

Again, the amount of people that are raging about Brie Larson clearly form an extremely small part of the movie audience, so whatever they feel in the long run, won't have any affect on the franchise in the long term.

BANNED

As far as I can tell, the only drama is being stirred up by the people who hate the movie and wanted it to fail, and should by all logic keep quiet now that it's been proven to be a huge success. Might as well just admit that you are wrong and go back to enjoying movies again, rather than continuing to fight a losing battle.

BANNED

As far as I can tell, the only drama is being stirred up by the people who hate the movie and wanted it to fail, and should by all logic keep quiet now that it's been proven to be a huge success. Might as well just admit that you are wrong and go back to enjoying movies again, rather than continuing to fight a losing battle.
    Nah mate, they'll keep moving the goalposts until Pangaea reforms

BANNED

Unfortunately people tend to like losing battles, the plucky underdogs in the face of tyrannical Disney is a powerful narrative. Especially since the cost of entry in this fight is so low, all you need is an internet connection and a halfway decent machine to take a shot at Mickey Mouse. Because after what happened to the TLJ and Star Wars people believe they can bring down the MCU as well. It might take more time, there's still good will left with the MCU, but the 'trolls' only have to get lucky once with another Solo to bring all of Disney's plans to a grinding halt.

BANNED

Unfortunately people tend to like losing battles, the plucky underdogs in the face of tyrannical Disney is a powerful narrative. Especially since the cost of entry in this fight is so low, all you need is an internet connection and a halfway decent machine to take a shot at Mickey Mouse. Because after what happened to the TLJ and Star Wars people believe they can bring down the MCU as well. It might take more time, there's still good will left with the MCU, but the 'trolls' only have to get lucky once with another Solo to bring all of Disney's plans to a grinding halt.
    Have you heard of the Prequel Trilogy? Star Wars got through that. I'm sure they can get past some whiny manbabies.

No, it's $455 million first weekend worldwide ($153mm domestic + $302mm foreign).

I'm sure it will do much better than my original $800 million prediction.

I think the chances are pretty great that it will earn over $1 billion by the end of its theatrical run. It's already almost half way there.
    Lol weird iono why google alerts sent me this weird Australian website saying 646m

https://amp.news.com.au/entertainmen...1a85a221ada5c8

Lol maybe they dont know global includes american box office and added that to the global. Who knows maybe just a typo
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-11-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Sorry buddy but nothing your saying is making sense. Marvel doesnt have any issues, the only thing it has to worry about is superhero fatigue eventually kicking in. But that could be another decade or more... if ever. I'm not sure why you think a bunch of trolls online are gonna bring The MCU down. Captain Marvel and Black Panther werent effected at all. Star wars has more issues then some internet trolls. TLJ was a decisive movie, and Solo just never captured peoples interest. It could be fatigue. I dont know the age break down but it could be younger people dont care as much about star wars and Older people dont like all the changes. Whatever the case may be doesnt matter cause the average auidience member has no idea what trolls on the internet are saying. They didnt bring down solo, lack of interest brought down solo. TLJ I personaly found to be super boring except for a few cool moments and it was clearly a decisive moive among fans. Yet still made all the money and episode 9 is gonna take it in too. If that movie is a hit with audiences and less decisive Star wars is right back to turning out a movie every year, of that I have no doubt.