Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

If the Captain Marvel prediction holds when more websites post their opening weekend tracking numbers, then I'll feel more confident in the $140 million. I think we'll have more corroboration in the next few weeks. I'm not surprised to hear that the early shows are completely sold out. This being a Marvel movie that leads in to Endgame, I have no doubt that it'll open big. It'll be interesting to see just how big.

On my list of MCU openings above, what stood out to me was that except for Black Panther and Avengers, every MCU movie that opened above $140 million was a sequel. And realistically, Avengers was the culmination of Phase I, so that was based on the preceding movies. If Captain Marvel can open that big and not have significant drops in the following weeks, then that would be a great sign that the MCU can create new solo stars to sustain them after the Downey-Evans era is over with Endgame.

For me, the most important thing is that Captain Marvel is a good movie. Based on the trailer, I wasn't bowled over, but if the full movie is good and makes me care about the character, then it really doesn't matter how much or little the box office is to me. At things stand right now, unless the general audience reaction (not critics or MCU diehards) is orgasmic, I'm likely going to Blu-wait this movie and just hope that it's a good enough movie that it's a worthwhile addition to my collection.

I'm predicting $800 million worldwide, but I'll certainly adjust higher if it warrants. I lowballed Aquaman because I didn't think an Aquaman movie could do so well, but now I guess anything's possible.

March to May could be a very good and interesting few months for comics fans with Captain Marvel, Shazam, and Avengers in theaters. Of course, Shazam will do less that the other two financially, but if it gets good audience reaction, then it certainly indicates that both Marvel and DC will keep pulling more B and C list characters out of their asses and turn them into beloved and successful movie series. I'm glad to see the general public get exposed to the full breadth of what comics has to offer.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, the tracking number surprised. At this point before release, Black Panther was tracking at around $50m until close to release date and hype hit the roof.

Personally, I'm not excited by the trailers at all but I'm not surprised there's significant hype around it. It's tying directly into Avengers Endgame plus general Marvel hype.

Early reactions. The cat steals the movie.

https://www.screengeek.net/2019/01/3...ing-reactions/

BANNED

Uh oh. In that Super Bowl commercial she still didn't smile, she only smirked. This movie is definitely gonna crash hard because the girl doesn't smile.

CBR is now quoting a site that predicts opening weekend box office can go as high as $160 million. As we get closer to the opening date and nothing has happened to cast doubt on the quality of the movie, these numbers of $140-160 million seem more realistic to me.

I said that Captain Marvel can do $800 million worldwide. I don't know if it can hit $1 billion, but maybe the $900s isn't unreachable if opening weekend crowds are wowed by it and there is a gush of positive word of mouth.

Myself, if I hear great things about the movie that are NOT from the Marvel Diehards that will praise anything that comes out of the MCU, then I might decide to see it in theaters instead of Blu-waiting. Still not there yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    CBR is now quoting a site that predicts opening weekend box office can go as high as $160 million. As we get closer to the opening date and nothing has happened to cast doubt on the quality of the movie, these numbers of $140-160 million seem more realistic to me.

I said that Captain Marvel can do $800 million worldwide. I don't know if it can hit $1 billion, but maybe the $900s isn't unreachable if opening weekend crowds are wowed by it and there is a gush of positive word of mouth.

Myself, if I hear great things about the movie that are NOT from the Marvel Diehards that will praise anything that comes out of the MCU, then I might decide to see it in theaters instead of Blu-waiting. Still not there yet.
    The thing about early projections from places like Fandango is that they have been incredibly under-estimated what the actuals have been, which tells me that 1) these projections tend to be very conservative and 2) these folks are really good at what they do.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The biggest obstacle between CM & a billion is China.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The biggest obstacle between CM & a billion is China.
    I suspect that the same-day-as-US release date will help it in China, but we'll see. Certainly Disney thinks so

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Here’s what China thinks of the movie.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gavinfeng...41773921243136

Astonishing Member

I liked the trailers and clips except when she threw a totally TV/Movie style haymaker and missed. Poor fighting action plotting. Also just hanging there on the train - though she was stronger than that. Why not use energy powers close up? Forgetting the powers yet again.

The Captain Marvel 90's throwback webpage is a nice touch of marketing https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

Given that the Lego Movie 2 is faltering at the box office this weekend and the only potential big openers this month are Alita Battle Angel (likely to underperform) and How to Train Your Dragon 3 (likely not to open above $60 million), this could bode very well for Captain Marvel's opening weekend because there really hasn't been a super-blockbuster since Aquaman in December.

By the time March 8 rolls around, audiences will have gone through over 2 months of blockbuster deprivation and might be primed and ready to storm the theaters to see Captain Marvel even moreso than they might have been if January and February were loaded with big hits.

New tv spot.

BANNED

Given that the Lego Movie 2 is faltering at the box office this weekend and the only potential big openers this month are Alita Battle Angel (likely to underperform) and How to Train Your Dragon 3 (likely not to open above $60 million), this could bode very well for Captain Marvel's opening weekend because there really hasn't been a super-blockbuster since Aquaman in December.

By the time March 8 rolls around, audiences will have gone through over 2 months of blockbuster deprivation and might be primed and ready to storm the theaters to see Captain Marvel even moreso than they might have been if January and February were loaded with big hits.
    Captain Marvel's opening weekend is already confirmed to be a massive success on presales alone. The only questions remain will it still under perform that weekend, and will it do week the next three weekend. That is, will the huge numbers who see it, like what they saw?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Captain Marvel's opening weekend is already confirmed to be a massive success on presales alone. The only questions remain will it still under perform that weekend, and will it do week the next three weekend. That is, will the huge numbers who see it, like what they saw?
    Captain Marvel be number one for two weeks because there's no real competition and lose the top spot to US on week three it will fall to three with Dumbo the following. Probably fall to five once Shazam and Pet Semetery comes out the week after that then get knocked out of top 5 with Hellboy.