Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    These people freaking out over Captain Marvel are a lot of fun to watch. It's like Captain Marvel ran over their dog.
    I dare say it's as fun as watching people freaking out over cartoon remakes and live-action re-imaginings.

Watching people freaking out over things that are optional to consume is always fun, now that I think about it.

Makes me really glad I don't actually know anything about Captain Marvel or have any expectations going into the film. Nothing like being able to enjoy a film (or not) based on its own merits.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Makes me really glad I don't actually know anything about Captain Marvel or have any expectations going into the film. Nothing like being able to enjoy a film (or not) based on its own merits.
    That is a definite advantage. On the other hand, none of the criticism is really about a preconception of Captain Marvel. It's about not smiling enough, being too SJW (which wouldn't be a bad thing even if it could be shown to be true), or the trailers weren't exciting enough.

I think there's one valid criticism that could be made of the trailers: I don't get any sense of urgency from them. I know aliens are on earth, that they can look like earthlings, but I don't get the impression from the trailers that there's any immediate threat to earth or anywhere else. I'm sure that there is (a big space battle means somebody is threatened) but there's no sense of scale to the threat.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    These people freaking out over Captain Marvel are a lot of fun to watch. It's like Captain Marvel ran over their dog.
    Videos like that make me want CM to hit a billion WW just to see them freak out some more

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    That is a definite advantage. On the other hand, none of the criticism is really about a preconception of Captain Marvel. It's about not smiling enough, being too SJW (which wouldn't be a bad thing even if it could be shown to be true), or the trailers weren't exciting enough.

I think there's one valid criticism that could be made of the trailers: I don't get any sense of urgency from them. I know aliens are on earth, that they can look like earthlings, but I don't get the impression from the trailers that there's any immediate threat to earth or anywhere else. I'm sure that there is (a big space battle means somebody is threatened) but there's no sense of scale to the threat.
    The Elastica music was fun in the latest trailer. Hoping it gets into the film, as well as other contemporary music to the era. Thor: Ragnorok was a pleasant surprise that way.

Yes the trailer is lacking a line about the earth being in grave peril or some kind of giant explosion thing that is about to destroy the earth, that kind of thing. The impression is that the movie is more about the characters than a particular crisis. Not a bad thing necessarily.

Incredible Member

The Elastica music was fun in the latest trailer. Hoping it gets into the film, as well as other contemporary music to the era. Thor: Ragnorok was a pleasant surprise that way.

Yes the trailer is lacking a line about the earth being in grave peril or some kind of giant explosion thing that is about to destroy the earth, that kind of thing. The impression is that the movie is more about the characters than a particular crisis. Not a bad thing necessarily.
    The Skrull invasion being a "Secret invasion" the threat cannot be as flamboyant as Thanos's Black Order coming to earth! I hope they succeed in conveying this idea of paranoïa.

Now that we're closer to the opening of Captain Marvel, we're starting to get more realistic tracking numbers. Now, they're talking $100 million rather than the enormous $150 million of a few weeks ago that a blogger was predicting.

According to Deadline.com:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/captain...ns-1202557433/

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline.com
    ‘Captain Marvel’ Opening Weekend: Around $100M – Early Projection
    by Anthony D'Alessandro
    February 14, 2019 7:58am

Disney’s Captain Marvel from Marvel landed on tracking today, and most early industry estimates are certain that it’s headed to $100M, especially with the pic’s enormous first choice score of 33 and the fact that the trailer clocked a huge 109M views in its first 24 hours, but we have to remember a couple of things:

First, we’re in a funky marketplace. Yes, Captain Marvel could certainly change that. Also, outside of Iron Man‘s $102M and Black Panther‘s $202M (and he was introduced in Captain America: Civil War), no other Marvel origins film has opened to north of $100M, particularly those in the deeper universe, i.e. Doctor Strange ($85M) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($94.3M). That said, we haven’t had a Marvel movie since July, and as Avengers: Infinity War tipped us off in its epilogue, Captain Marvel has something to do with saving superheroes who’ve disappeared into atoms.

Another box office industry source informed us on Captain Marvel‘s $100M start: “Give or take $20M”.

Again, a $100M start for this movie which stars Oscar winner Brie Larson as ace fighter pilot Carol Danvers is feasible, but projections were so far off for Universal/BVI/Blumhouse’s Glass, it was ridiculous. Captain Marvel opens on March 8.

Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is the top March opener with $174.7M, followed by Warner Bros./DC’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice with $166M.

It'll be interesting to see how it opens given the disparity in those ultra-early $150+ million projections and the newer, more industry-insider determined $100 million.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Now that we're closer to the opening of Captain Marvel, we're starting to get more realistic tracking numbers. Now, they're talking $100 million rather than the enormous $150 million of a few weeks ago that a blogger was predicting.

According to Deadline.com:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/captain...ns-1202557433/

It'll be interesting to see how it opens given the disparity in those ultra-early $150+ million projections and the newer, more industry-insider determined $100 million.
    It's how Disney's plays ball, building up all the OOC hype with their movies.

BANNED

Let's recall a couple of things. Fandango and Box Office Pro are not bloggers, and that's where early reports come from. This new article lists no sources at all. Also, historically early tracking numbers from two months out have underestimated actuals, though some movies have under performed.

The deadline article seems to rely on sources within Disney for their information, and Disney had a vested interest in low balling the expectations, so the sourcing isn't exactly credible.

I do think Captain Marvel is in a somewhat inadventageous position, in that it has to share it's hype with Avengers End Game.

That said, I'm more than sure it will fine at least fine if not better than fine. All the marvel movies pretty much do at this point.

Astonishing Member

I don't think it will beat Aquaman's domestic or WW haul but I do think it will beat the opening weekend of AM. Tend to believe it will open somewhere between 80-95M. Will be interesting to see how CM will open and finish. Trailer hasn't really impressed me and I haven't heard any big buzz among those who watch MCU films. It's always a 'Meh' reaction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I don't think it will beat Aquaman's domestic or WW haul but I do think it will beat the opening weekend of AM. Tend to believe it will open somewhere between 80-95M. Will be interesting to see how CM will open and finish. Trailer hasn't really impressed me and I haven't heard any big buzz among those who watch MCU films. It's always a 'Meh' reaction.
    Most Marvel movies always get a "meh" reaction from me anyway.

Seriously people, they've never been that great.

The real question will be the dropoff between the opening weekend and the second one. Will CM gather steam or just hold steady? I'm beginning to suspect this is going to be one of those sleeper hits that builds momentum the longer its in theaters. Like GotG was.

Prove me wrong!

The real question will be the dropoff between the opening weekend and the second one. Will CM gather steam or just hold steady? I'm beginning to suspect this is going to be one of those sleeper hits that builds momentum the longer its in theaters. Like GotG was.

Prove me wrong!
    I posted this earlier it has no week two competition so will stay strong for two weeks than fall to 2nd place on week three when US comes out fall to 3rd or 4th week four when Shazam and Pet Semetery an get knocked out of the top five when Hellboy comes out. It could get a bit of s resurgence when Endgame comes out but that's about it IMO it will likely do at least 675 to 800 million unless really bad which I don't think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I posted this earlier it has no week two competition so will stay strong for two weeks than fall to 2nd place on week three when US comes out fall to 3rd or 4th week four when Shazam and Pet Semetery an get knocked out of the top five when Hellboy comes out. It could get a bit of s resurgence when Endgame comes out but that's about it IMO it will likely do at least 675 to 800 million unless really bad which I don't think it will be.
    Logical and plausible. It has two free weeks to make a splash. The totals for the second week will be a big determinant in how tight things are through those stages you mention. CM could be disasterous, for instance, if it drops a ton during its second week. Might never recover with all those other movies coming down the pike.