Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Reborn suit is my favorite “modern” rendition of the Super suit. My favorite alternative costumes are Electric Blue (obviously), T-shirt and jeans, and the Godfall suit.

Oh, I forgot about the Godfall suit! Yeah, I really liked that one too, but it was way too involved and detailed for the majority of Big 2 artists to handle. It looked amazing when done by Turner and....crap, the guy who did the interiors, Caldwell, I think? But I cringe to imagine what it would've looked like drawn by other hands.

On the bright side, that suit was used for a gear style in DCU Online, so I see it every time I log in.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I've always had a soft spot for this one from an Armageddon 2001 annual. Certainly wouldn't want it as a regular suit, but it worked well in this particular story.
    81CD8D8D-01B8-4A26-957B-4E9142F3BD88.jpg
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Default Favorite Superman costume

What are your top 3 or so Superman costumes in all media?

He's had a few over the decades. I like a few of them a lot.

Top three, huh?

I guess I'd say the Fleischer costume with the almost-black blue and the yellow outline and black background to the "S", the one from Batman v. Superman with the Joseph Campbell quote inscribed on the "S", and the Reborn costume that Bendis foolishly rushed into non-existence despite being my personal pick for the number one spot.

Ultimately there's a few hypothetical costumes that'd really take the cape for me (so to speak) with things like giving the Reborn costume the movie version of the "S" for example, but since those don't actually exist in published Superman media, but only in my imagination, I don't think they count, haha!

Also I really like the one from Justice League Action but that's like, seventh place or so, behind the New 52 suits, the primary one which I fully admit I only really love because of like, fan politics, and not as much on its own actual merits.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The one Christopher Reeve wore in his Superman movies.

I'm not a tights hater, but I miss the Rebirth suit. Hope it comes back down the road. 5983201-2670819035-DFmbL.jpg

I never had a problem with the briefs/trunks before 2011. I honestly believed then and still believe now that there was no reason to get rid of them at the time. That said, I cannot help but feel that a real backwards looking "Make Superman Great Again" tone has settled over part of the trunks-diehard community. Also, some artists are better at them than others. I don't think I've ever liked a single Jim Lee Superman drawing with the trunks, for example. My current favorite way to see the trunks is in deliberately oldschool callback designs, like to the Fleischer design!

Otherwise, I don't know, some artists can just make it look like they're drawing Superman, others I'm left with the feeling that they're doing it with a sense of deliberate "screw you" to contemporary versions which don't have the briefs. I don't like that feel much, but how could you tell beforehand which would feel like which? I say just let artists draw with or without the trunks as they please.

The post-Flashpoint replacement suit, with the high collar, was very fiddly with all the detailing, and because of that fiddliness, I occasionally think it was inconsistent. Certain artists like Jim Lee or Rags Morales made it work really, really well, and later during the 2011-2016 period, artists started just not bothering with the fiddly detailing, which made it way better, like in Final Days of Superman. Otherwise, I gotta admit, I like it more for the fan politics than for the actual design. I really loved the t-shirt suit, if only as a temporary thing in Superman's career during the pseudo Golden Age period early on.

Reborn, on the other hand, Holy Hannah! The continuity was completely out of whack, and the costume was better than it had ever been!

Also, I really love the movie designs. I wish every contemporary Superman drawing had the Man of Steel S shape, no matter what the suit was doing otherwise.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Don't know why but I've always liked the black suit. Always hated the mullet.
    Last edited by MeGrimlock420; 02-01-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

You know, if they'd ditch the cape clips, the Supergirl suit would look pretty good.
    Assassinate Putin!

wow there are a lot of different Superman costumes when you really think about it haha, it's hard to choose!

I love the Reborn one too. It's.. pretty perfect. I also liked the JL Action one.

I also loved the Cavill costumes a lot, but the colors weren't the best mix, IMO. For instance, the MOS suit was a bit dark and the yellow wasn't bright at all, which made it worse. But the style and the cape were perfect. The BvS one got the colors better. The JL suit was good but a bit overdone in the rib area, IMO.

I also really dig the white costumes from Justice Lords and All-Star Superman. He looked very regal. Oh and the black costume is cool too. See, it's hard to choose!

In general, I don't hate the trunks. They work for the comics, but I really don't want them back in live action because it looks very outdated compared with all the other superheroes. The trunks would look even more odd for many casual fans honestly.

You know, I picked (I think?) the t-shirt and jeans look from Morrison's Action, but I gotta switch it out for the t-shirt and jeans and beard look from Future's End.

*That* was badass in a way that only Superman can pull off.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What made the Futures End beard so cool was that his hair was longer as well. That lion's mane of hair with the beard adds the extra oompf to really Paul Bunyan him up. He'd look at Convergence Superman and say "No, son, THIS is how you pull off that look."
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

My beard grew an extra three inches the day that Superman debuted, my chest hair sang as angels, I found a new high quality grill on my porch with steaks already cooking, and I suddenly gained the knowledge of how to repair a catalytic converter!

~ Black Panther.

Top 3?

My top choice would be this.

Followed by this.

Top two is easy. But i don't have a clear third place. I guess i will give it to Kingdom Come.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-02-2019 at 11:29 PM.