Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default SO Sony want to makes Spider-verse TV shows, but doesn't Marvel own TV rights ?

So from its recent Golden Globe win, it seems that Sony has thought of pushing their Spider-verse into TV Realm, but that got me thinking...Doesn't Disney/Marvel OWN THE TV rights to Spider-man ?

After reading this, what do you think as Spider-man fans...

https://www.newsarama.com/43376-sony...tv-series.html

who knows, maybe they can work out a new agreement. Just as long as everyone keeps a cool head, no lawsuits.

I definitely think it was a mistake on the author's part.

Just read that paragraph again:
    Sony has a parade of big-budget sequels on the way — “Men in Black: International” arrives in June — and the studio is aggressively mining the rights it holds to Marvel characters in the Spider-Man comics family. To that end, movies based on Morbius, Black Cat and Silver Sable are in the works; the Sinister Six could be Sony’s answer to “The Avengers.” Sony is also considering making animated television shows based on characters introduced in “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” which has collected $276 million at the box office.
    This wasn't some news broken during a press conference or the like. This is the author mentioning every future franchise film the studio has on it's way. This is no news, those films and plans have been known by the public for a while.

But here's what makes me believe the author got confused: it doesn't lists the already confirmed ItSV spin-offs. Actually, nowhere in the article said spin-offs are mentioned!

What I think it happened, is that the author knew that they were making animated spin-offs of ItSV, but he got mixed up, and thought that said spin-offs were for tv, rather than films, as we know.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 01-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I definitely think it was a mistake on the author's part.

Just read that paragraph again:

This wasn't some news broken during a press conference or the like. This is the author mentioning every future franchise film the studio has on it's way. This is no news, those films and plans have been known by the public for a while.

But here's what makes me believe the author got confused: it doesn't lists the already confirmed ItSV spin-offs. Actually, nowhere in the article said spin-offs are mentioned!

What I think it happened, is that the author knew that they were making animated spin-offs of ItSV, but he got mixed up, and thought that said spin-offs were for tv, rather than films, as we know.
    I am not so sure. There has been more than one rumour about TV spin-offs. I reiterate from numerous discussions on this topic, Sony and Marvel have a solid working relationship that goes back a long way. There is nothing to stop this happening if the concept is solid.

BANNED

This is one of the reasons i can't stand Amy Pascal.
    She acts like a spoiled brat by trying to establish her stupid universe while putting the agreement on the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    This is one of the reasons i can't stand Amy Pascal.
    She acts like a spoiled brat by trying to establish her stupid universe while putting the agreement on the rocks.
    She does not act anything of the sort. She is doing her job as laid out in the agreement, developing property for movies. That’s what Disney want her to do. Too much has been read into a tiny storm in a teacup between her and Feige when he was the one off script as far as Disney would be concerned. This isn’t some adolescent game of face pulling, this is the 4 Billion Dollar brand that is Spider-Man.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-09-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    So from its recent Golden Globe win, it seems that Sony has thought of pushing their Spider-verse into TV Realm, but that got me thinking...Doesn't Disney/Marvel OWN THE TV rights to Spider-man ?
    Yes that was what got SSM cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Yes that was what got SSM cancelled.
    Yes. But it was a little more complicated than that. The purchase of Marvel by Disney created an entirely new situation that needed clarification. Far from being an argument with Sony, an arrangement was struck which remains to this day, over movie rights and how distribution and marketing works. The biggest issue being that SSM was pretty much a Sony, movie marketing property. Sony actually still own the rights to SSM for example.

What has happened in recent years is the antagonistic Fox relationship has cast a new sinister light on the relationship between Disney and Sony, which doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Sony and Disney have mostly managed to stay friendly. The fan community always wants to see conflict and friction when in reality Disney needs to keep Sony happy if they are to continue to hold all of the marketing rights to Spider-Man.

Sony still own the rights to merchandise their movies but the terms of their handshake with the MCU gives Disney temporary control of this as long as everyone stays happy. So despite Homecoming being a Sony movie, Disney get to make the merchandise deals.

It is entirely possible for Sony and Disney to strike a similar deal over Spiderverse if both sides wanted to make it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-09-2019 at 04:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    She does not act anything of the sort. She is doing her job as laid out in the agreement, developing property for movies. That’s what Disney want her to do. Too much has been read into a tiny storm in a teacup between her and Feige when he was the one off script as far as Disney would be concerned. This isn’t some adolescent game of face pulling, this is the 4 Billion Dollar brand that is Spider-Man.
    Yet this is the third attempt trying to pull off a Spider-man Cinematic Universe. Doesn't that say something about Amy Pascal leading this with Sony ?

BANNED

Yes. But it was a little more complicated than that. The purchase of Marvel by Disney created an entirely new situation that needed clarification. Far from being an argument with Sony, an arrangement was struck which remains to this day, over movie rights and how distribution and marketing works. The biggest issue being that SSM was pretty much a Sony, movie marketing property. Sony actually still own the rights to SSM for example.

What has happened in recent years is the antagonistic Fox relationship has cast a new sinister light on the relationship between Disney and Sony, which doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Sony and Disney have mostly managed to stay friendly. The fan community always wants to see conflict and friction when in reality Disney needs to keep Sony happy if they are to continue to hold all of the marketing rights to Spider-Man.

Sony still own the rights to merchandise their movies but the terms of their handshake with the MCU gives Disney temporary control of this as long as everyone stays happy. So despite Homecoming being a Sony movie, Disney get to make the merchandise deals.

It is entirely possible for Sony and Disney to strike a similar deal over Spiderverse if both sides wanted to make it.
    Doesn't Marvel own a bit of the merchandising rights to Spider-man too again ?

Yet this is the third attempt trying to pull off a Spider-man Cinematic Universe. Doesn't that say something about Amy Pascal leading this with Sony ?
    No. But it says a lot about fan perception of her actions. She is not trying to pull away from Disney at all. It isn’t in her or Sony’s interest to do so. The agreement between Disney and Sony is a gentleman’s agreement. If either side want out they only have to say so. Or rather stop acting in accord with the agreement. Nobody has done that yet. I suspect the agreement will continue for decades, or until we stop going to see superhero movies.

Doesn't Marvel own a bit of the merchandising rights to Spider-man too again ?

Only under the terms of the current agreement. Disney is paying for that at exactly the same rate that Sony are paying for MCU production input. In other words it’s a handshake deal. No money changes hands, not even the normal percentage that Sony have to give Marvel for movies outside of the arrangement. The only money involved is in the case of the movies being very successful Sony will pay Disney for their input in the form of a bonus payment. If Homecoming had flopped it would have been cost neutral in the terms of the deal.

The most significant investment was Disney effectively paying for Homecoming via the deal as a one off payment to sweeten the pot but they would have got that back with the bonus.

If that sounds confusing see the Venom thread in the movie forums. I go into more detail there because people were making these incorrect assumptions known there too.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-09-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Only under the terms of the current agreement. Disney is paying for that at exactly the same rate that Sony are paying for MCU production input. In other words it’s a handshake deal. No money changes hands, not even the normal percentage that Sony have to give Marvel for movies outside of the arrangement. The only money involved is in the case of the movies being very successful Sony will pay Disney for their input in the form of a bonus payment. If Homecoming had flopped it would have been cost neutral in the terms of the deal.

The most significant investment was Disney effectively paying for Homecoming via the deal as a one off payment to sweeten the pot but they would have got that back with the bonus.

If that sounds confusing see the Venom thread in the movie forums. I go into more detail there because people were making these incorrect assumptions known there too.
    The current deal has Disney paying Sony for every Spider-Man movie they make actually, to the order of a maximum of $35 MM iirc. This is to compensate them for the additional promotion value that the movies bring to the merchandising which Disney owns. The success of the MCU films is supposed to offset this fee. Sony isn’t paying Disney anything otherwise.

BANNED

No. But it says a lot about fan perception of her actions. She is not trying to pull away from Disney at all. It isn’t in her or Sony’s interest to do so. The agreement between Disney and Sony is a gentleman’s agreement. If either side want out they only have to say so. Or rather stop acting in accord with the agreement. Nobody has done that yet. I suspect the agreement will continue for decades, or until we stop going to see superhero movies.
    Tell that to Kevin Feige when he was sitting next to her and listening to her stating what she stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Tell that to Kevin Feige when he was sitting next to her and listening to her stating what she stated.
    Like I said. Storm in a teacup. This is fan expanded nonsense.