Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would you care if Superman was portrayed by a person of color?

Like it says. If Superman was portrayed in film or TV as a black, Hispanic, or even Asian actor, would you like it, dislike it, or even care?

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I just wouldn't mind because I already got my Superman with MoS and BvS. Having POC play Superman won't take that away, but will give other people their own favorite version of Superman to love and get inspired by.

BANNED

Not fussed. A black Spider-Man recently proved award-winning and pure box office.

Kon93

You know you can have "your superman" and him look nothing like you,it has happened before.

Miles is not peter,peter is still Peter as always,its not the same thing.

I would be against any adaptation that tries to change him,he has been around much longer than we have and will be around a lot long than any of us will.

Clark Kent/kal-el=NO
    Different character that has the superhero name superman=YES

Master Hero Vladimir

I will accept a person of color as Superman if he doesn't play Clark Kent/Kal-El. I mean, Clark Kent? Kal-El? Those have to be some of the whitest names in comic book history, alongside Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne. Maybe they can play Calvin Ellis, Val-Zod or Kenan Kong. I want my Clark Kent to be white. Don't fix what isn't broken.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

When you say Asian. What do you mean exactly? The race or people of that continent. I mean,this guy is also asian

I am not advocating for a casting.
    I don't want Clark to be race bended. He is perfect as he is. Maybe an elseworld like val-zod

It could be weird at first because in my head there is a preconceived image of what the physical aspect of Kal-el / Superman / Clark should look like, I mean it's an image that has been with us for 80 years. But with time I could get used to the change. Anyway, I think it's better to create new and iconic characters that can represent the minorities that for years have been prohibited from playing a leading role in the different forms of entertainment.

I'm a POC and don't support that idea. I'm uncomfortable with saying I hate whitewashing (and I do; the guys who think White Goku and White Kyo Kusanagi were smart ideas can do that thing Derrick Rose recently suggested**), but then saying it's perfectly okay to change to make him some other race than what we're accustomed to seeing. I understand the need for representation, but the better way to do it is by adding new characters and making the credible and likable. You can have your Peter Parker and Miles Morales.

**Neither Derrick Rose nor I are being literal, just conveying that the topics of discussion are beyond stupid and somewhat offensive.

Kon93

Ok we ALL spend all day and night on here talking about make believe characters,SO that means we take them pretty serious.now that I got that out of the way,how would you like it if someone changed you?superman has been a "real" person for over 80 years now,would you like it if someone told you,you had to change?

If you dont look like the character,then you shouldn't play the character,the character should not have to change for the actor,who the hell does the actor think he is anyway.

Clark Kent is Clark kent,nothing wrong with that,if you want to change him personally,make his ship land in another country,it would still he him,just not living the same life of events.

Bendis is bringing val zod into the main DCU somehow,atleast that's what has been hinted at,so we could very easily get our superman that isnt Clark kent.

Btw you can have a minority in a certain country,and not in the world altogether,so I wish ppl who be more specific about this,cause in some countries white ppl are the minority,it depends on where you are talking about,but we are a community that is world wide now,so talking like this is silly anyway

Kinda torn, to be honest.

One the one hand, I have a very strong image of these characters - and what they look like is a big part of that. So my initial reaction is "no" - one of the reasons being that it threatens to take attention away (imo) from characters like John Henry Irons/etc who's limited amount of screen time is criminal.

That said, I was initially reluctant on Laurence Fishburne as Perry, but seeing the movie he was awesome (which I knew he'd be beforehand) and my over-technical, nit-picky fan brain didn't raise a peep, lol. Ditto with Lana & Pete from Smallville, etc.

And I also enjoy Jonathan Belle's Superman cosplay very much - his love of Superman and Superman's optimism just jumps from him. Inspirational, beautiful stuff. He fits the suit well.

So, all of that is to say.....

It's complicated, and depends on the execution. Or maybe the better description is that I'm against the idea in principle, but not so much in practice?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    When you say Asian. What do you mean exactly? The race or people of that continent. I mean,this guy
    I am not advocating for a casting.
    I don't want Clark to be race bended. He is perfect as he is. Maybe an elseworld like val-zod
    Sorry to say but playing Superman would be a step down for Mr. Hrithik Roshan.

Meet Krrish!

He is a really good actor and has played Krrish twice. I enjoyed the first far more then any modern Superman film. And while watching the second one i caught myself thinking quite a number of times, 'Oh! I wanted to see this in Man of Steel. They get Superman better.'

If anyone can go through average to poor cgi and unnecessary songs, both the films are very solid superhero films.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-08-2019 at 11:37 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Sorry to say but playing Superman would be a step down for Mr. Hrithik Roshan.

Meet Krrish!

He is a really good actor and has played Krrish twice. I enjoyed the first far more then any modern Superman film. And while watching the second one i caught myself thinking quite a number of times, 'Oh! I wanted to see this in Man of Steel. They get Superman better.'

If anyone can go through average to poor cgi and unnecessary songs, both the films are very solid superhero films.
    I said I was not advocating for a casting. I don't want nor prefer race changed Clark and Lois. I like them as they are. I can relate to Clark without him being my race or whatever.I don't look for skin colour when I like something.They can make someone else take the title superman like val zod or make special case superman is not an alien Clark Kent like in secret identity.
    I was just asking what does he mean by Asian. It is not a race. It is a continent where different races live. People there can be brown, black, yellow or white.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-09-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Like it says. If Superman was portrayed in film or TV as a black, Hispanic, or even Asian actor, would you like it, dislike it, or even care?
    Dean Cain is 1/4 Japanese a I freaking love Lois and Clark the new adventure of superman. He was the best Clark Kent to me.

I was fine with Dean Cain playing Superman. His face didn't look like the classic Superman but he still played a fun version of Superman.

Doesn't Dean Cain have some Asian ancestry? And he was a pretty great Superman. To me race is less important than the "look", so as long as he's a relatively white-skinned guy (from pale to reasonably tan) with dark hair and a decent build, I don't really care what the exact ethnic makeup of the actor's background is. So no, for a TV or film adaptation with a Clark Kent Superman representing classic continuity, I'd rather not have someone noticeably brown play the part just because they wouldn't look like he's been portrayed in the comics (if they decide to adapt an elseworld thing where Superman looks different, then this doesn't apply), but if they're mixed race or something I couldn't care less.

Keep in mind this is strictly in regards to adapting the source material. If the comics decide to pull like a Miles' Spider-Man or something and have a different race guy take on the Superman mantle I'd be pretty cool with that (as long as Clark's not dead to do it). I'm also more lenient about supporting cast, not minding much a black Jimmy in Supergirl (though frankly that guy's too tall and handsome to be Jimmy) or a black Zod in Krypton (or that reveal that Zod is Clark's uncle, that was hell of a neat twist).