Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Not saying people wouldn't complain. Just saying why some people will complain while other people would think it is a good idea. You are always going to get two sides. They are going too far or they are not going far enough.
    Yes, there is nothing wrong with Superman's per-established identity. But is there anything wrong with a fresh approach giving Superman a new back story? What is the real reason people would want or object to a Superman with dark skin?
    The comic books have had dark skinned Kryptonians for several years and TV shows like Krypton and Supergirl have shown there are Kryptonians with dark skin. So the claim that all Kryptonians have light skin can't be used as an excuse.
    Even Kansas has a few black people. So that can't be used as an excuse. And nothing requires Clark Kent to be raised in Kansas anyway. Alabama or Mississippi would be suitable home states if the idea is for Clark to blend in with the locals.
    I'd object because it is going beyond the point where a character ceases to be the same character. Having Val-Zod on Earth 2 worked for me because he was a separate character, not the classic Superman with a different back story. Having another Elseworlds take where Superman was raised (and resembled) another ethnicity works because the whole point is to paly with a character's backstory. But for the main continuity (DCU prime universe comics, a movie series, a TX show) if you aren't sticking to the main backstory then you'd be better off calling your character Apollo, Icon, Hyperion, Supreme ….

It's the same as making a Bruce Wayne whose origin revolved around his criminal parents killing each other, a Peter Parker who uses an exo-skeleton based on the abilities of a spider, a Black Panther who has no high-tech Wakanda but rather a destitute African nation that has been fought over for thousands of years, … Any of these might be a great story playing off the standard tropes of the character or the basis for a new character who takes some of those tropes and uses them differently, but they wouldn't justify replacing the characters that have decades of sales behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Yes, there is nothing wrong with Superman's per-established identity. But is there anything wrong with a fresh approach giving Superman a new back story? What is the real reason people would want or object to a Superman with dark skin?
    The comic books have had dark skinned Kryptonians for several years and TV shows like Krypton and Supergirl have shown there are Kryptonians with dark skin. So the claim that all Kryptonians have light skin can't be used as an excuse.
    Even Kansas has a few black people. So that can't be used as an excuse. And nothing requires Clark Kent to be raised in Kansas anyway. Alabama or Mississippi would be suitable home states if the idea is for Clark to blend in with the locals.
    Vathlo has been a thing for several decades. So the official explanation is more a matter of population ratios or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I'd object because it is going beyond the point where a character ceases to be the same character. Having Val-Zod on Earth 2 worked for me because he was a separate character, not the classic Superman with a different back story. Having another Elseworlds take where Superman was raised (and resembled) another ethnicity works because the whole point is to paly with a character's backstory. But for the main continuity (DCU prime universe comics, a movie series, a TX show) if you aren't sticking to the main backstory then you'd be better off calling your character Apollo, Icon, Hyperion, Supreme ….

It's the same as making a Bruce Wayne whose origin revolved around his criminal parents killing each other, a Peter Parker who uses an exo-skeleton based on the abilities of a spider, a Black Panther who has no high-tech Wakanda but rather a destitute African nation that has been fought over for thousands of years, … Any of these might be a great story playing off the standard tropes of the character or the basis for a new character who takes some of those tropes and uses them differently, but they wouldn't justify replacing the characters that have decades of sales behind them.
    There actually IS an alt-U where Peter Parker is more like Doc Ock in terms of powers, though he still uses Spider themed gadgets.

But yeah, that's that universe, not the main one for a reason. It's Peter Parker, but it's Spiderman in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Honestly you hit on the other big point with part here. I rather see diversity in creators than forced on the page and over time that will create the best change. That said is going to take time so yeah bring on the Captain Marvel style push and if people are upset oh well,Bring on Race,Sexuality and gender bending if it upset people oh well as long as you are putting out quality project. Change isn't always comfortable.
    Indeed, more diversity in creators would be ideal.

In all honesty, I do think we're making progress with representation. Characters like Batwoman, Miles, Kamala, etc., have proven to have staying power. And they've all shown up within the last dozen years or so. I think we are getting there, and things like Aquamoa help move us forward as well. It's not as fast a process as we may like, but shifts like this never are, and for every success there's a hundred failures. So the good news is that while we argue about getting where we want to be today, the next generation won't have to. Or at least they won't have to argue and fight for it like we are.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Indeed, more diversity in creators would be ideal.
    How about DC gets Jimmie Robinson for a Harley Quinn vs. Bomb Queen crossover special?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Like it says. If Superman was portrayed in film or TV as a black, Hispanic, or even Asian actor, would you like it, dislike it, or even care?
    No, so long as he embodied what Superman is sbout.

Nope two of my fave version are black and mexican

I just remembered this, somewhat related - back during Superman: The Animated Series, I initially thought Lex Luthor was a light skinned black guy. Did anyone else think that or was I alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I just remembered this, somewhat related - back during Superman: The Animated Series, I initially thought Lex Luthor was a light skinned black guy. Did anyone else think that or was I alone?
    I didn't think so, but I read comments along these lines a lot.

Not really. It's only a movie.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label