View Poll Results: How would you grade the episode?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 11.11%
  • B

3 33.33%
  • C

1 11.11%
  • D

1 11.11%
  • F

3 33.33%
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Default The Gifted episode 11 "meMento" Discussion (spoilers)

Synopsis: Reed worries as Lauren becomes intrigued by her ancestors and their violent powers. Lorna begins to reevaluate her trust in the Inner Circle after figuring out the past of Reeva's new trainees. Meanwhile, Benedict Ryan continues to encourage Jace to take action with the Purifiers. Marcos asks Clarice to go to the Morlocks in search of information on the Inner Circle and Thunderbird gets a call from Evangeline.

Sorry I just realized no thread for this was up yet.

Well I absolutely love the stuff with Lauren. And absolutely despise the stuff with Lorna. So yeah. Discuss away.

Also... not commenting on Reeva just yet. Could be more to it , and it's quite mysterious right now anyways.

Gave episode a B due to the overwhelming interest in Lauren and Andy now but can't give it an A in all fairness because of the other things dragging it
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Did Andreas put Andrea's skin on that sword? I think they did that in the comics, and if he did that's super creepy......

Highlight of this episode was that kid calling Jace out for being in a hate group. Was hoping someone would do that.

I really like that the writers are showing the differences between Lorna and her father. She has a lot in common with him, but is a character in her own right, and I'm happy to see those elements. Glad that she feels taking the plane down was justified, but doesn't want to go around killing people who aren't looking to do harm to Mutants.

The Lauren stuff was great, and I really love this power development. Her scaring that guy was awesome.

Oh, Reeva. I still like you, but what the hell are you doing.

It was a lot slower this week, and looks like the action will be picking up in the next one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Did Andreas put Andrea's skin on that sword? I think they did that in the comics, and if he did that's super creepy......
    I think two episodes ago they referred to Andreas and Andrea as Lauren's great grandparents while season one said they were Otto's father and aunt. We're way past creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post

Highlight of this episode was that kid calling Jace out for being in a hate group. Was hoping someone would do that.

I really like that the writers are showing the differences between Lorna and her father. She has a lot in common with him, but is a character in her own right, and I'm happy to see those elements. Glad that she feels taking the plane down was justified, but doesn't want to go around killing people who aren't looking to do harm to Mutants.

The Lauren stuff was great, and I really love this power development. Her scaring that guy was awesome.

Oh, Reeva. I still like you, but what the hell are you doing.

It was a lot slower this week, and looks like the action will be picking up in the next one.
    I think they're using hair instead of skin. And they haven't made the incest explicit. So they're toning it down some.

Have to find out if they get portrayed as like "mutant crusaders" or as just "wanton slaughterers of humanity". Could go either way still. Well, as long as Andy and Lauren are convinced they were good that's all that matters.

OBEY

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Synopsis: Reed worries as Lauren becomes intrigued by her ancestors and their violent powers. Lorna begins to reevaluate her trust in the Inner Circle after figuring out the past of Reeva's new trainees. Meanwhile, Benedict Ryan continues to encourage Jace to take action with the Purifiers. Marcos asks Clarice to go to the Morlocks in search of information on the Inner Circle and Thunderbird gets a call from Evangeline.

Sorry I just realized no thread for this was up yet.

Well I absolutely love the stuff with Lauren. And absolutely despise the stuff with Lorna. So yeah. Discuss away.

Also... not commenting on Reeva just yet. Could be more to it , and it's quite mysterious right now anyways.

Gave episode a B due to the overwhelming interest in Lauren and Andy now but can't give it an A in all fairness because of the other things dragging it
    I'm actually the exact opposite when it comes to the Von Strucker family as I honestly think they are the least interesting part of the show. I found this episode to be fairly strong though. It was about time someone called Jace Turner out for his affiliation with a hate group in a way that actually resonated with him. Likewise, the Reeva angle looks fairly intriguing.

BANNED

Lorna's answer to the question about "her race war" did not give a satisfying answer. And because it couldn't, it makes her look naive and stupid.

So what the hell was the point of the end of season 1 if we're here now? This show can't keep it's narrative on the rails. (And don't even get me started on Jace freaking Turner. What an insufferably stupid character)

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Lorna's answer to the question about "her race war" did not give a satisfying answer. And because it couldn't, it makes her look naive and stupid.

So what the hell was the point of the end of season 1 if we're here now? This show can't keep it's narrative on the rails. (And don't even get me started on Jace freaking Turner. What an insufferably stupid character)
    I have to agree. This was kind of boring episode. The last twist was surprising though, I don't think anyone saw it coming. However, it might also be a problem because they just put it there for shock value and probably have no idea what to do now.

What I think happened is they went all wishy washy on Polaris because they realize the extent of her fanbase and they assume "everyone" wants her to become "Good" with Marcos

But I totally agree it comes off as complete character regression and does not make sense

I'm still hoping she "snaps out of this" and reverts to type by the end of season and doesn't just go back into the Underground completely, but instead forms a new group with Esme or something alone those lines

OBEY

All-New Member

I can't stand what they did with Lorna in this episode. It feels so abrupt, to have her suddenly have a change of heart when last episode she was all "This changes nothing."

Well apparently, it changed everything. Like c'mon. What's the point of everything she's done up to that point then? Like wtf did she think was going to happen to make a mutant Homeland in the US was going to entail? It makes her sound naive, thoughtless, and foolish.

Never mind that NOW she's playing at manipulating Marcos with "Hate me, I suck" and everyone is just. Oh she treated you like trash and you're angry... Must be true love!! Which... That's such a toxic message I can't unpack it all. I've defended this show's Lorna so much this year and now I'm done.
    Last edited by Lunabelle0; 01-09-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunabelle0 View Post
    I can't stand what they did with Lorna in this episode. It feels so abrupt, to have her suddenly have a change of heart when last episode she was all "This changes nothing."

Well apparently, it changed everything. Like c'mon. What's the point of everything she's done up to that point then? Like wtf did she think was going to happen to make a mutant Homeland in the US was going to entail? It makes her sound naive, thoughtless, and foolish.

Never mind that NOW she's playing at manipulating Marcos with "Hate me, I suck" and everyone is just. Oh she treated you like trash and you're angry... Must be true love!! Which... That's such a toxic message I can't unpack it all. I've defended this show's Lorna so much this year and now I'm done.
    Yeah I hate what they did with her

It's like who is this making happy? The folks who thought she was evil and messed with poor lovable Marcos still think that about her

Everyone who wanted her to be a badass and like her dad is super upset

Who is happy????

OBEY

BANNED

Did a double feature last night, watching the previous ep on Hulu, right before the new one. The former was the most comic bookie yet, I thought, and I enjoyed it. Still not as good as Lorna's background one, but it's up there with the better S2 ones.

Highlights from last night's for me, were:

• Evangeline's emergency call to arms to the entire Underground.
    • Reeva's seemingly traitorous, secret liaison reveal.
    • Jace's trigger-happy, Purifier PiC murdering that Mutant runaway kid.
    • What I think might be Polaris using those around her, to achieve her own goals/further her own gains, much like her father (think Mags & Mystie in the 1st Class movie).
    • What appears to be the undue influence of that music boX from the 1st Fenris.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lunabelle0 View Post

The show has systematically destroyed pretty much all the main characters in some way or another. Whose left that hasn't had an awful storyline? Marcos?

He's the only one I can think of that seems to have a consistent, logical character. The rest ping-pong from one bad writing room idea to the next.

The show has systematically destroyed pretty much all the main characters in some way or another. Whose left that hasn't had an awful storyline? Marcos?

He's the only one I can think of that seems to have a consistent, logical character. The rest ping-pong from one bad writing room idea to the next.
    He's been the least likable or consistent or logical of them all for me though

I think John's pretty solid...

Blink is mostly solid , mostly

Frosts have been consistent-ish?

Andy has been progressively becoming more of himself over time in my mind

And now Lauren is surprisingly, but not completely insanely, beginning to join him

So those two are interesting

It's mainly Lorna who they've just obliterated pretty much, and possibly Reeva as well

Reed has been boring throughout but gotten better in s2 actually

Caitlin has gone from a "fish out of water" in s1 to a "manic obsessive mom" in s2 but it's fine

Jace has been pretty much a bad dude throughout both seasons... if anything we have gotten to know him alot better in s2 and now we feel his inner turmoil and moral conflicts MORE than we did despite him supposedly being increasingly ruthless/unhinged
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 01-09-2019 at 03:45 PM.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    He's been the least likable or consistent or logical of them all for me though

I think John's pretty solid...

Blink is mostly solid , mostly

Frosts have been consistent-ish?

Andy has been progressively becoming more of himself over time in my mind

And now Lauren is surprisingly, but not completely insanely, beginning to join him

So those two are interesting

It's mainly Lorna who they've just obliterated pretty much, and possibly Reeva as well

Reed has been boring throughout but gotten better in s2 actually

Caitlin has gone from a "fish out of water" in s1 to a "manic obsessive mom" in s2 but it's fine

Jace has been pretty much a bad dude throughout both seasons... if anything we have gotten to know him alot better in s2 and now we feel his inner turmoil and moral conflicts MORE than we did despite him supposedly being increasingly ruthless/unhinged
    I know you tend to be more glass half-full about this, but I wouldn't agree about a bunch of these characters. Lorna fell victim to something The Gifted tends to employ a lot when it comes to creating drama: "Character acting stupidly, surprised results of stupid decision are not ideal" They then do something else for a few episodes, before finding some new thing to be dumb about.

I don't know how many times I've seen Jace Turner have that stupid "Oh no....what have I done!" look on his face as if he's doing some kind of soul searching. He then soul searches for an episode or two before we rinse and repeat again and get that stupid look on his face again.