Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by uchihafanboy View Post
    She's still Gordon's daughter, you misread my post and you're spinning it into something else.
    Oh we mean daughter as in close family friend and essential part of work group like Cass. I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Oh we mean daughter as in close family friend and essential part of work group like Cass. I get it.
    Even though Cass WAS his daughter until New52 erased that...

Yes, still bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Even though Cass WAS his daughter until New52 erased that...

Yes, still bitter.
    Tynion I'm sure on twitter hinted at her getting adopted again. She alone and was shown to be living at Wayne Manor so there is logic there.

IMO

Batman's Family:

Immediate:
    Father = Alfred
    Children = Dick, Jason, Tim (?), Damian

Extended Family:
    Cousin = Kate

Associates/Friends:
    Mentees = Babs, Duke, Cass, Stephanie
    Friends = Lucius, Commissioner Gordon, Luke, Azrael (?)
    Lover = Selina

Disowned = Jacob, Beth
    Ignored = Bette, Harper, Julia (?)

Batwoman's Family:

Immediate:
    Father = Jacob
    Sister = Beth
    Cousin = Bette
    Step-Mother = Catherine
    Lover = Renee

Extended Family:
    Bruce, and possibly Alfred and Damian

Associates/Friends:
    Friends =Julia, Dick, Babs, Luke, Azrael
    Associates = Jason
    One-Time-Mentees = Tim, Cass, Stephanie
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 01-16-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    IMO

Batman's Family:

Immediate:
    Father = Alfred
    Children = Dick, Jason, Tim (?), Damian

Extended Family:
    Cousin = Kate

Associates/Friends:
    Mentees = Babs, Duke, Cass, Stephanie
    Friends = Lucius, Commissioner Gordon, Luke, Azrael (?)
    Lover = Selina

Disowned = Jacob, Beth
    Ignored = Bette, Harper, Julia (?)

Batwoman's Family:

Immediate:
    Father = Jacob
    Sister = Beth
    Cousin = Bette
    Step-Mother = Catherine
    Lover = Renee

Extended Family:
    Bruce, and possibly Alfred and Damian

Associates/Friends:
    Friends =Julia, Dick, Babs, Luke, Azrael
    Associates = Jason
    One-Time-Mentees = Tim, Cass, Stephanie

Id like to see Bruce and Kate do a family switch for an issue.

Have Kate team up with her nephew Damian.

And have Bruce team up with his Cousin Bette. (they are cousins right? - not sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Id like to see Bruce and Kate do a family switch for an issue.

Have Kate team up with her nephew Damian. And have Bruce team up with his Cousin Bette.
    That would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    (they are cousins right? - not sure)
    The only time I've seen Bette and Bruce confirmed as cousins was 'Batwoman Zero Year' where all three of them were at Phillip Kane's funeral. The dialogue was really bad where they literally referred to each other as "cousin Bruce", "cousin Kate", "cousin Bette". I don't know anyone who talks to their cousins like that, lol.

While Bruce and Kate have been confirmed, multiple times in 'Tec, to be first cousins, Bette is only mentioned as Kate's cousin.

Kate and Bette are confirmed many times over, in Batwoman's original solo, to be cousins. But it s never explicitly confirmed that they are first cousins, as Bette's parents are seldom mentioned, and never seen, nor are their names known.

In the case of Kate and Damian, they are technically first-cousins-once-removed. But you are correct, the terminology to use with each other is aunty and nephew - as is the usual convention.

Since Bette's last name is Kane, it would make sense for her to be related to both Kate and Bruce, but since the Kanes and Waynes seem to have a history of being estranged, and Bruce and Kate seem to be the only ones on friendly terms - I'm going to guess that Bruce and Bette don't really know each other and Bette might be a second or third cousin to them both. Yet, Kate and Bette are closer, as maybe Bette's family didn't interact with the Waynes at all.

Edit:

Actually, that theory is the one that seems the most logical to me based on what I've seen of the comics - that Bette would be a second cousin. That would explain how Bette is Jacob's niece and Kate's cousin, without any interaction or recognition between Bruce and Bette.

Just to clarify, a second cousin would be - the child of both Jacob and Martha's first cousin. So technically to both Jacob and Martha, Bette would be a first-cousin-once-removed, again, referred to as a niece. This would make her second cousins with both Bruce and Kate, but if the Kanes and Waynes are estranged, and Jacob is on good terms with his cousin - Kate and Bette could have grown up together.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 01-16-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Bette's parents, as far as I know, is unknown, as she's identified by her relation as Kate's cousin and if you count Betty, Kathy's niece
    There's Martha, mother of Bruce Wayne
    Her brother Jacob, father of Kate
    Their brother Philip, who tried to take over the Wayne fortune after Thomas and Martha died
    Their other brother Nathan, who married Kathy
    ...and finally the unknown, who's the parent of Bette/Betty
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-16-2019 at 08:53 PM.

BANNED

I just see the Bat-Family as large and confusing.

Amazing Member

The essential members of the Bat-family (keyword being family) for me are Alfred, Dick, Jason, and Tim. Batgirl/Oracle is a close friend of the family. My only exposure to Tim is in Morrison and Rebirth, so nothing about him in particular makes him essential besides the need for Batman to have a third Robin. If I could I would de-canonize Damian - he throws the other relationships off balance and Batman isn't meant to be an actual dad, but rather a father figure. I have been warming up to him in the Prelude to the Wedding and Glass's Teen Titans run, though, but that's him mostly doing his own thing and not being a sidekick. I want someone to do something with Duke and make him a full-fledged hero; he's been set up as an important mentee but nothing's really come of it yet.
    Last edited by TheJudge95; 01-26-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Nevermind.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I just see the Bat-Family as large and confusing.
    Yep. Way too many people involved now. It should just be Bats and Robin. The rest should only drop in when something big is going down and those should be rare occasions. The "Bat Army" is the worst thing that has ever happened to the character.

Hmmm. Needs more family members.

Yep. Totally went there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yep. Way too many people involved now. It should just be Bats and Robin. The rest should only drop in when something big is going down and those should be rare occasions. The "Bat Army" is the worst thing that has ever happened to the character.
    What are you talking about. They don't show in the main batbook.
    I don't know where this idea of Batman getting overwhelmed by companions comes from. He rarely interacts with them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by uchihafanboy View Post
    She's still Gordon's daughter, you misread my post and you're spinning it into something else.
    It sucks when even us dedicated fans aren't sure if she's Gordon's daughter or niece. The status of various "family" members is too muddy, thanks in no small part to all these ill-conceived reboots.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Hmmm. Needs more family members.

Yep. Totally went there.
    Since they appear to be cave dwelling bats, not ones that roost in trees or on cliff faces, you're right. Bat species who live in caves need large colonies. Huge colonies. Many of them need non related species sharing the cave to be happy and healthy. They definitely need siblings to squabble with.

I think my favorite thing about some of the bat research in the last ten years (actually all of the discoveries keep making my list of favorite things, bats are fantastic creatures, yes, all 1,300+ species of bats) is that most of the vocalizations of the common little brown bat is siblings fighting for space and siblings calling for each other...then fighting for space once they find each other. And it's not just the common little brown bat, apparently most cave dwelling bats can't sleep until their family members are accounted for and there's squabbling.

Big and confusing works for me, since bats need friends and families for the most part, especially male bats.

I absolutely refuse to accept that Bruce is one of the eighteen confirmed monogamous species of bats. He's polyandrous.

Li'l Gotham is the version of the Batfamily I accept...although I can't remember if Cass was in it. If she wasn't than it's Li'l Gotham plus Cass is my favorite version of the Batfamily. Pretty sure she's in it though, as they managed to get Spoiler in.