Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Bette is in West point because they don't want to writer her right now. No other reason.
    Haven't read batwoman so I can't say if it's for the best. But it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Bette is in West point because they don't want to writer her right now. No other reason.
    Haven't read batwoman so I can't say if it's for the best. But it is what it is.
    And also because the in-story reason makes sense.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Bet you could easily come up with 50 in-story reasons that would make about as much or more sense. And we all know if a writer wants something to happen they don't usually care much about coherence, even if they should.

I could also come up with 100 different in story reasons for a character to not be around that makes sense.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Bet you could easily come up with 50 in-story reasons that would make about as much or more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I could also come up with 100 different in story reasons for a character to not be around that makes sense.
    Okay, and...? This one works. The potential for others to also work is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Caivu; 01-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Okay, and...? That doesn't mean the one that was picked is bad.

This one works. The potential for others to also work is irrelevant.
    And..... it just shows that character development off-screen is not a good way to go.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

And..... it just shows that character development off-screen is not a good way to go.
    How does it show that in any way?

How does it show that in any way?
    Because it doesn't show anything. You ever hear the old adage, "show don't tell"?

Simply having Bette disappear and then show up ever odd issue or so to say how she likes or doesn't like West Point isn't very good character development. We don't see her journey. Saying character development is happening is poor storytelling.

Simply having Bette disappear and then show up ever odd issue or so to say how she likes or doesn't like West Point isn't very good character development.
    We don't see her journey. Saying character development is happening is poor storytelling.
    You're talking about two different things here. Related, maybe, but separate.

I wouldn't say it's bad character development because it's a) happening and b) it makes sense for Bette to do. I wouldn't even say it's bad storytelling because Bette is a tertiary character and doesn't need much real estate to get the point across regarding what she's going through.

You're talking about two different things here. Related, maybe, but separate.

I wouldn't say it's bad character development because it's a) happening and b) it makes sense for Bette to do. I wouldn't even say it's bad storytelling because Bette is a tertiary character and doesn't need much real estate to get the point across regarding what she's going through.
    She's only a tertiary character when you keep her on the sidelines at West Point doing nothing.

A story about Bette running off to be Flamebird in secret would be much more interesting than just sitting around and hoping Kate will let her take control of her own life.

I think we might need a Bette thread...

My ideal bat family is the 2009-2010 Batman Reborn/early Batman Inc period. I would have liked dick as Batman to last longer, but I was fine with having both him and Bruce, with Bruce being the global Batman. Tim as Red Robin, both cass and steph around (with cass having her history as batgirl intact), Damian as Robin, and Jason as a villain. I find jason to be far more interesting as Dick Grayson’s arch nemesis.

My dream bat family is Dick bats with Damian as Robin, Cass as Batgirl, Tim as Nightwing, Babs as oracle, and Kate Kane being around as Batwoman. I’m not sure if I like Kate in the bat family, but I do like her being around and choosing to do her own thing.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    I think we might need a Bette thread...
    True but hey, she's part of the family and this is about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIncarnate View Post
    My ideal bat family is the 2009-2010 Batman Reborn/early Batman Inc period. I would have liked dick as Batman to last longer, but I was fine with having both him and Bruce, with Bruce being the global Batman. Tim as Red Robin, both cass and steph around (with cass having her history as batgirl intact), Damian as Robin, and Jason as a villain. I find jason to be far more interesting as Dick Grayson’s arch nemesis.

My dream bat family is Dick bats with Damian as Robin, Cass as Batgirl, Tim as Nightwing, Babs as oracle, and Kate Kane being around as Batwoman. I’m not sure if I like Kate in the bat family, but I do like her being around and choosing to do her own thing.
    This was such a magical era of comics to me, it felt like things were finally gonna start changing in the DCU. Dick was Batman and leading the JLA, Bruce could easily stay in Gotham as Batman and run his own operations. I really wish we were still there.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Okay. The problem here is there are two different character interpretation based on two different eras.

Since we already know what happened to Bette on the latter interpretation, let's go with the earlier interpretation.

Kate became Flamebird before Kate became Batwoman because Kate was created later, but now let's say they both always existed since the beginning of the story. Their age and family relationship is the same, and Bette still became Flamebird first.
    What would happen?
    Will Bette keep it a secret from Kate?
    How soon would Kate know?
    Will she react the same way?
    Will Bette react to Kate the same way?