Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Empty is thy hand!

Wasn't a fan of his work, FF, Avengers or Secret Wars, but I really enjoyed the silent issue of Fantastic Four just after Johnny had been killed and Thor and Hulk were letting Thing take his frustration out on them. Just lovely.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I loved his work on the Illuminati. He had those characters down. Both strengths and flaws. His New Avengers run was my favorite of all time.

I'd borderline kill to have Hickman write Cyclops. His Cyclops only made a few panels but you got the feeling of how good a tactician he was. He had a Batman/Shikamaru/Sinestro vibe which is what I want to see the most in the character.

Extraordinary Member

I thought his Fantastic Four run was one of the best, but I found his Avengers hard to enjoy.

Some of that may just be that his FF was basically traditional and his approach to the Avengers was to ignore all the history of the team (except the Illuminati), so his FF appeals more to traditionalist fans, but I think it's mainly that he was a perfect fit for FF, because his high-concept approach gave some weight to a franchise that can sometimes seem too light or silly, but the characters gave some warmth to his writing.

So when it comes to his next project I would like to see him on something that has very well-defined characters and relationships that can keep him grounded. Something like Spider-Man or Daredevil more than something that might sound more obviously suited to his interests. I worry that if he goes on a cosmic or epic book the characters can get lost, but he can do great work when he has a strong character foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I want him to relaunch Inhumans. They were his fam during all his Marvel stuff anyway. He's not really needed in any of the major franchises except X-Men. He could do Thor if Marvel really wanted to keep eyes on the book.

Also, this--

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/stat...96460190203904
    I would appreciate that a lot. I would have confidence that he would fix the mess that is the current status of the Inhumans and possibly make them interesting again. I still love them, but they could use some stability and some favor with general audiences.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I feel Hickman writes too “big” for Daredevil. Which is why I’d like to see him do it as I’m sure he’d end up proving me wrong.

But I really see him doing Eternals. Can’t imagine what else they’d give him.
    I think they'd give him whatever he wanted. He's certainly 'earned' it.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I’d like Hickman to do Captain America or Spider-Man, because Jonathan could really pick the eyes out these two characters back-stories, and straighten them out.

Spider-Man, because Hickman could clear up Peters parents, and sister.

Cap, because Hickman could really dissect Steve Rogers American Dream, and why Steve is such a prominent tactician.

Jonathan Hickman is such a good world-builder. I could even imagine Hickman could have created Nu-Earth (apologies to Millar, and plaudits to Millar also).
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-11-2019 at 02:30 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I’d like Hickman to do Captain America or Spider-Man, because Jonathan could really pick the eyes out these two characters back-stories, and straighten them out.

Spider-Man, because Hickman could clear up Peters parents, and sister.

Cap, because Hickman could really dissect Steve Rogers American Dream, and why Steve is such a prominent tactician.

Jonathan Hickman is such a good world-builder. I could even imagine Hickman could have created Nu-Earth (apologies to Millar, and plaudits to Millar also).
    He could have created it but I have a feeling he really hated it. He got rid of it pretty early on in his Fantastic Four run. Some of the Nu Earth characters had horrible deaths too, Cindy Psionics for one. She's the one Johnny was dating in Millar's run.

My personal favorite would be Secret Warriors. By a mile.

Always thought it was a shame that the initial idea for the run was seemingly longer than the run that actually made it onto the shelves.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Give him the Cosmic books. Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, the Inhumans, the Eternals, and a Quasar book.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Somewhere in his plans I suspect he wants to tie his work on S.H.I.E.L.D. into mainstream continuity. It is an important book with a strong vision but unless it has an impact upon the main characters it will be forgotten and ignored. That would be a tragedy.

What was Hickmans world-building?

Yes, SHIELD history.
    Secret Warriors
    Fantastic Four
    Avengers versus X-Men
    Avengers and New Avengers
    X-Men
    Ultimate something?

Did any of these link-up into Secret Wars I wonder, or was it just the Fantastic Four, because of the Molecule Man?

If you stretched these stories out on a top-down timeline, could you hook a thread through a lot of these stories that makes sense?

Hickman reminds me of a Steranko who just comes into Marvel and reorganises all the blocks.
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-11-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

He would kill it on Nova (imagine the endless graphs we would have about the Nova Corps as additional content!)

I can also imagine going to town with Dr Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    What was Hickmans world-building?
    Yes you can very clearly follow the thread of Hickman's run. There is some editorial stuff going on too, but the main through line follows the relationship of T'Challa and Reed, but there is an underlying mystical, mythical and cabbalistic thread, as well as a whole load of commentary on the state of the medium. The Avengers run is built around the concept of life vs death and their part in change.

Some of the world building was thrown away when Marvel changed tack on the Inhumans, but for me Hickman is the best world builder of the last few decades to work at Marvel.

There are no others who work on his epic scale.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-11-2019 at 06:18 AM.

I enjoyed both his FF/Avengers, and it helped (for me) that his run(s) came after a period of personal disinterest in both franchises. I loved Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run, but he left in... 2005? And Hickman started in '09, I think? There was a four year(ish) gap there where I simply didn't care/enjoy the book. For Avengers, the post-Busiek/pre-Disassembled era was largely forgettable, and while I wouldn't necessarily call the Bendis New Avengers/Mighty Avengers/Avengers era "stagnant", it was certainly... different. So Hickman jumping aboard the franchise certainly injected some much-needed life into it, at least for me.

I absolutely loved his Ultimates run (see my username :P )
    There were so many new concepts and such an amazing world-building that made me want to see more of it
    See: The Maker, The Children of Tomorrow/City, the Eternals/SEAR stuff, the Kratos Club, etc
    It was my favorite Marvel run at the time, and Hickman & Ribic absolutely nailed it, it was awesome !
    Until, he had to quit at issue 9 aprox.

I was really sad to see him go, but in any case, we got his amazing Avengers/New Avengers run, which are my favorite of all time, for a lot of reasons
    Hickman is an amazing writer, every franchise he works on turns into gold, imo :P
    Last edited by TheMaker1610; 01-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.