Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I thought his Fantastic Four run was okay. Wasn't a big fan of his Avengers run, despite him expanding the line-up in a way I think made total sense (even if I didn't agree with every character). I tried his Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. but quit after a bit...they just left me cold.

Hickman strikes me as a writer who has big ideas and loves to incorporate those ideas, but then just wallows in them, as nobody loves those big ideas more than Hickman. Snyder at DC has the same problem, I feel...huge world-views, but execution that caters to the world-views more than the characters inside of them.

As far what I'd like to see him work on now at Marvel...maybe some kind of fantasy comic, like going deep with Weirdworld or bringing back Crystar or something. Something that allows him to build an entire universe from (almost) scratch and do whatever he wants with it, but in a way that it has minimal impact to other Marvel books being published at that time.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoyed his relatively short tenure in the Ultimate Universe, but aside from that I'm not a fan.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Amazing Member

Personally, his run on Avengers and New Avengers was just massive in scope and so damn good that most (if not all) storylines from writers succeeding him felt so small, empty, pointless and insignificant.
    Last edited by arveg2; 01-12-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Give him the Cosmic books. Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, the Inhumans, the Eternals, and a Quasar book.
    On that...

Since there was that stretch where DC fans were hoping DC would give Hickman Legion..., it seems like giving him even something like a twelve month "Imperial Guard" maxi is an obvious call.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

I can also imagine going to town with Dr Strange.
    I've been advocating this for about two years now. It's a good way for him to build complex mythology without stepping on the toes of what he did before because he doesn't have to go cosmic. I also like what he did with Steve in Avengers but there's still a lot more room to go.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I think barring the few hiccups from the team portrayal Hickman would write a very good Black Panther book. With all the elements that he would have to play with I think we could have some very layered, rich stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    As far what I'd like to see him work on now at Marvel...maybe some kind of fantasy comic, like going deep with Weirdworld or bringing back Crystar or something. Something that allows him to build an entire universe from (almost) scratch and do whatever he wants with it, but in a way that it has minimal impact to other Marvel books being published at that time.
    Jim Zub's Champions just did that. An arc set in Weirdworld, and with Crystar showing up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jim Zub's Champions just did that. An arc set in Weirdworld, and with Crystar showing up.
    Zub's story is set in Weirdworld but it had nothing to do with Weirdworld.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-13-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On that...

Since there was that stretch where DC fans were hoping DC would give Hickman Legion..., it seems like giving him even something like a twelve month "Imperial Guard" maxi is an obvious call.
    This whole thing was an example of how fans latch onto the tiniest of evidence to prove their theories. In this case that Marvel was loosing to DC in that rather artificial thing that is the war between them. I never expected him to jump to DC but some seemed to be surprised every month when his Legion book still hadn't been announced. It would fly in the face of his own statement that he was probably going to do something smaller next, after his Marvel work became so exhausting.

The other thing fans will latch onto is the passing comment that Hickman is an X-Men fan. Now I would love to see him on a high profile X-book but again that would hardly be smaller! X-books do have a lower profile these days, and they will probably get more of a spotlight once the Fox deal is sorted out, but until then I just don't see this happening.

I would expect a maxi-series type book. Something he can get his teeth into but that remains peripheral to continuity. Almost certainly high concept with something to say about the medium, but not one of the tent-pole books.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This whole thing was an example of how fans latch onto the tiniest of evidence to prove their theories. In this case that Marvel was loosing to DC in that rather artificial thing that is the war between them. I never expected him to jump to DC but some seemed to be surprised every month when his Legion book still hadn't been announced. It would fly in the face of his own statement that he was probably going to do something smaller next, after his Marvel work became so exhausting.

The other thing fans will latch onto is the passing comment that Hickman is an X-Men fan. Now I would love to see him on a high profile X-book but again that would hardly be smaller! X-books do have a lower profile these days, and they will probably get more of a spotlight once the Fox deal is sorted out, but until then I just don't see this happening.

I would expect a maxi-series type book. Something he can get his teeth into but that remains peripheral to continuity. Almost certainly high concept with something to say about the medium, but not one of the tent-pole books.
    Hickman is a relatively new convert to the Fantastic Four since he admitted he bought the Gitcorp DVD collection of over 500 FF issues and annuals. I think he still has an itch to return to that part of the MCU in some way. Personally, I'd like to see him revive Super-Villain Team-Up but disguised as a maxi series with Doom and Namor. I also think he still has a great interest in Doom. He was very excited when I showed him the original coloring guides I showed to him of Triumph and Torment some years back at C2E2.

BANNED

well I certainly liked Hickman's secret wars arc but I couldn't help but notice how he resembled Moore in that he took many of dcs concepts and adapted it to marvel which after all is what constitutes genius when you stand on others shoulders and become taller than them. seriously though the beyonders saga and it's resolution in some way reminded me of the earlier heavens ladder storyline. the incursions resembled the rann thanagar scenario the mind wipe was done before in identity crisis. namor and black panthers war was also somewhat reminiscent of the war between Diana and Arthur in the Flashpoint world, the saviour ploy doom was able to pull off seemed in part inspired by watchmen's ozymandias doomsday ploy nuke it all; bringing things to head ahead of schedule and so on but still I enjoyed it sue me.

Secret warriors was great. Brought right into the super spy side of MU.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

What do people think Secret Wars was? Was it an extension of the FF story, or an Avengers story? It wasn’t an extension of old SHIELD or Secret Warriors with Nick Fury, because Fury was removed during Original Sin.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

It was a Hickman story. That's all that matters.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    What do people think Secret Wars was? Was it an extension of the FF story, or an Avengers story? It wasn’t an extension of old SHIELD or Secret Warriors with Nick Fury, because Fury was removed during Original Sin.
    A combination of both and probably even more than that. It was Hickmans love letter to the Marvel Universe.
    The FF, being the first family, ended up almost taking centre stage. And why shouldn’t they? The Doom/Reed rivalry is THE longest running rivalary in marvel history.