Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The last great writer of FF. His run kept the spirit of Lee/Kirby but he tried to do something new. Marvel not keeping Future Foundation was a big mistake IMO.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Huge fan of his Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars epic, all of which I read in trade last year. I can see how it would have been too much in monthly format, with its tangled web and super-slow-burn pacing and cerebral Big Ideas, but binged in a couple months, it was overwhelming in the best way. I rarely see it discussed from this angle, but his Illuminati storyline was one of the best deconstructions/critiques of the superhero myth that I've seen. In fact, I find myself not really wanting to read any Avengers that came after, because the team was so thoroughly deconstructed by Hickman. I mean, Iron Man basically ends up as a villain.

I also love The Black Monday Murders, his recent occult/financial thriller for Image. Delving into his other major work is on my short list, especially Fantastic Four and East of West.

I had no idea Hickman was actually at work on an upcoming Marvel book. Tentatively exciting news... honestly, I'll give anything he writes a shot. I'm surprised nothing seems to have leaked out or been teased about this, at least judging from a quick online search.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Huge fan of his Avengers/New Avengers/Secret Wars epic, all of which I read in trade last year. I can see how it would have been too much in monthly format, with its tangled web and super-slow-burn pacing and cerebral Big Ideas, but binged in a couple months, it was overwhelming in the best way. I rarely see it discussed from this angle, but his Illuminati storyline was one of the best deconstructions/critiques of the superhero myth that I've seen. In fact, I find myself not really wanting to read any Avengers that came after, because the team was so thoroughly deconstructed by Hickman. I mean, Iron Man basically ends up as a villain.
    Heh, you should have been around here post The Great Society arc
    I remember being a mega thread with +100 pages, and each individual issue reaching +30 pages full of discussion regarding the crazyness that was happening there at the time
    It was great

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Heh, you should have been around here post The Great Society arc
    I remember being a mega thread with +100 pages, and each individual issue reaching +30 pages full of discussion regarding the crazyness that was happening there at the time
    It was great
    Yeah, I remember those days. I remember all the discussions about the Incursions and the no win situations they would present, etc.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-22-2019 at 01:26 AM.

I thought Hickman was heading to DC didn't that come up here at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I thought Hickman was heading to DC didn't that come up here at some point.
    It was entirely based on a throwaway line that he wouldn’t say no if asked, and that he had some ideas. Even at the time it seemed unlikely. More of a ‘sure I would be interested’ thing. Nothing of substance.

Then he was seen at a Marvel gathering, having a meal with everyone else, and it seemed much more likely that he was still standing by his original statement that he was taking a rest from Marvel but once he had finished Shield he would probably do a smaller, less involved book for Marvel.

More recently there were rumours that he had been asked to pitch some ideas to DC and they may also emerge as books at some point, but from those rumours it was suggested that he wasn’t interested in an exclusive deal, so again, probably not a tent pole book.

Someone like Hickman, with a number of successful creative owned projects on the go, exclusive deals are not particularly attractive.

The weirdest rumour was that his ‘Captain my Captain’ tweet when Bendis left Marvel suggested he was going to follow him, when contextually it would imply the exact opposite.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-22-2019 at 01:42 AM.

It was something that was speculated. But there's been no official ward. He's been probably been submitting stuff at both companies or getting offers. You don't have a series that sells over 2 million (Secret Wars) without someone being interested.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Whatever it is, it’ll be something a lot smaller in scale. He said himself that Avengers/Secret Wars really burned him out.

BANNED

I didn't like most of Avengers or Secret Wars, but liked New Avengers quite a bit. I really like the entire Time Runs Out arc as well

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    A combination of both and probably even more than that. It was Hickmans love letter to the Marvel Universe.
    The FF, being the first family, ended up almost taking centre stage. And why shouldn’t they? The Doom/Reed rivalry is THE longest running rivalary in marvel history.
    So you’re leaning towards Secret Wars being an FF story?

I’m trying to piece together how Dr Doom got involved in Secret Wars, and it was because of the Illuminati. They were dominating the world powers by doing something no governments were able to achieve and that is, to destroy other Incursion Earths. I think Doom thought the Illuminati were Kings of the planet, and that was Dooms aspiration. So when Dr Strange and Reed Richards fobbed off Dooms enquiries about an Incursion in Latveria, I think Doom Doom got angry that others had usurped Dooms own dream to be King of the Earth, so he made his move to become just that.

While we're on the subject, what are the reading prerequisites for Hickman's Ultimate Comics: Ultimate Ultimate Ultimates or whatever the heck it's called? I'm very interested in reading that, but have very little experience with the Ultimate universe.

And how's the quality of the Sam Humphries continuation after Hickman left?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

You can read his Fantastic Four stories plus the events towards the end. My recommendation is to read Ultimate Spider-Man and any events that tie into that, but that's just because Ultimate Spider-Man is clearly the best book.

That being said, you could check out this reading order
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post

And how's the quality of the Sam Humphries continuation after Hickman left?
    It's yikes.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hickman's Infinity storyline has been novelised by Titan.

AVENGERS INFINITY HC

(W) James A. Moore

The Avengers journey into deep space, where they unite the intergalactic races against the Builders-deadly aliens who seek to destroy the known galaxy. While the heroes are gone, Thanos sets his sights on Earth, sending the Black Order to launch the assault. It falls to the Inhumans, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, the X-Men, and more to defend the planet.
    In Shops: May 01, 2019

Final Orders Due: Mar 08, 2019

SRP: $24.95
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wow. That looks pretty cool. I miss those original Marvel novels they used to have.