Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't think Marvel ignored his run so much as reinterpreted his ending. Certainly, the run was referenced in Coates's Black Panther and some things just changed back during the eight month gap without explanation (such as Superior Iron Man). I mean, it's not like Superior Iron Man was even a Hickman decision anyway, it was part of AXIS.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I feel Hickman writes too “big” for Daredevil. Which is why I’d like to see him do it as I’m sure he’d end up proving me wrong.

But I really see him doing Eternals. Can’t imagine what else they’d give him.
    He is a fan of Elektra and nearly included her in his Avengers team. He revealed that on his old formspring. I'd like to see him write her and of course DD. But if they want his big scope work I'd have to echo most other posters and go with X-Men or an Eternals relaunch.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hickman writing Elektra or using her in a Secret Warriors book appeals to me far more than Hickman writing Daredevil.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Not a full reboot, but Hickman's run is impossible to reconcile with post-"Secret Wars" Marvel, which deliberately ignores his "Avengers" and related runs, because there were too many points of no return. Similarly, "Superior Iron Man" apparently never happened.
    What are you talking about? Superior Iron Man is the reason the ANAD Avengers had three kids and a mystery woman who was really a cancer patient on the team. The Avengers World team broke up due to lack of funding and Jane Foster, Kamala Khan, Sam Alexander and Miles Morales were all Sam Wilson and Tony Stark could get to join the new unpaid team. The only established Avenger to join them was Vision, who doesn't need the money, considering that he a) doesn't need to eat and b) actually had another job. The team was unpaid because Tony was in severe financial trouble. The Maria Stark Foundation was wound up, the board were trying to take control of the company from Tony, and Stark/Avengers Tower was sold off.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Thanks for the replies re. Hickman's Ultimate Ultimate Ultimates. I should clarify my question. What do I need to read first, if anything, to understand what's going on in his run?
    Just putting this back up here, as I think it kind of got lost in the shuffle. Thanks in advance for any advice.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Just putting this back up here, as I think it kind of got lost in the shuffle. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    You can (and should) start with his Fantastic Four run which has its ideas and themes in Avengers and then Secret Wars, however, for his Ultimates run you can start with his run there isn't much that isn't already explained within the series. Also he had a Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Hawkeye mini series that you can check out.

He never really finished his Ultimates run because (if I remember correctly) he started on the Avengers book. It was taken over by Humphries, the only thing you should know is this is where the Maker is introduced if you want to know his origin read Ultimate Comics Doomsday written by Bendis.

But honestly, his Ultimates run is entirely skippable.

Thanks for the tips, Charlie. Yeah, when I hit Secret Wars, I kind of wished I'd read Hickman's F4 first, as it's clearly a conclusion to that as well as his Avengers.

I did find the Maker a compelling character, so I look forward to reading more about him - I'll probably check out the Bendis Doomsday.

Hm, interesting that you find Hickman's Ultimates skippable while you were a big fan of his Avengers. Guess I'll judge for myself - I can get most of this stuff at the library, so there's little financial risk. And I do love Esad Ribic's art since his run on Jason Aaron's Thor. The pretty pictures alone will probably carry me quite some way.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it... can I just jump into Fantastic Four, or is there stuff I need to prep with before that? My reading history is almost entirely lacking in these characters, though of course I know the basics. I gather Mark Waid's run is highly thought of, but, again, I'm talking about stuff that's necessary to read to grasp where the characters and story are when Hickman comes in.

Thanks for the tips, Charlie. Yeah, when I hit Secret Wars, I kind of wished I'd read Hickman's F4 first, as it's clearly a conclusion to that as well as his Avengers.

I did find the Maker a compelling character, so I look forward to reading more about him - I'll probably check out the Bendis Doomsday.

Hm, interesting that you find Hickman's Ultimates skippable while you were a big fan of his Avengers. Guess I'll judge for myself - I can get most of this stuff at the library, so there's little financial risk. And I do love Esad Ribic's art since his run on Jason Aaron's Thor. The pretty pictures alone will probably carry me quite some way.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it... can I just jump into Fantastic Four, or is there stuff I need to prep with before that? My reading history is almost entirely lacking in these characters, though of course I know the basics. I gather Mark Waid's run is highly thought of, but, again, I'm talking about stuff that's necessary to read to grasp where the characters and story are when Hickman comes in.
    Hickman had a Fantastic Four Dark Reign miniseries that directly leads into his Fantastic Four run and that's all you need; you'll love it.

Don't get me wrong his Ultimate run is great (I own it) but it's unfinished and ends on a cliffhanger, but other than the Maker connection there is no major threads linking that series with his Avengers run.

I know he did originally have ideas to bring in the Ultimates but he pulled a audible at the very last moment, don't know why though.

Ah, I see. You meant "skippable" in terms of story consequences. Good to know.

Whaddya know, the library has Fantastic Four: Dark Reign, too. Sometimes I love living in NYC.

Thanks again!

Ah, I see. You meant "skippable" in terms of story consequences. Good to know.

Whaddya know, the library has Fantastic Four: Dark Reign, too. Sometimes I love living in NYC.

Thanks again!
    Awesome, glad to hear. Enjoy it and let us know your thoughts, I might go back and reread it.

Also if you love Hickman, after reading Fantastic Four you should totally check out Secret Warriors (Agents of SHIELD tv show is highly influenced by his run) and SHIELD volume 1 & 2 (which just recently ended because the final two issues took like 4 years to come out)

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Also if you love Hickman, after reading Fantastic Four you should totally check out Secret Warriors (Agents of SHIELD tv show is highly influenced by his run) and SHIELD volume 1 & 2 (which just recently ended because the final two issues took like 4 years to come out)
    Yeah, thanks for reminding me about those. I've heard good things.

Thanks for the replies re. Hickman's Ultimate Ultimate Ultimates. I should clarify my question. What do I need to read first, if anything, to understand what's going on in his run?
    How familiar are you with the Ultimate Universe? If you don't have any knowledge you should definitely read Mark Millar's run on Ultimates vol 1 and 2. Other reading for good back story is Ultimate Doomsday tpb (it collects Ultimate Enemy, Mystery and Doom).

You could read it without any back story as it is a great story as is but I think it definitely is worth it to read the other stuff.

As for my favorite stuff he's done in Marvel, it is his run on Ultimates and Avengers. Secret Wars was also one of the better event's Marvel has put out in quite some time.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Mighty Member

Interesting, I wonder why the higher-ups did that? If they were going ignore it then why even allow him to write it in the first place?
    It was a good run of comics that read well?

I don't think Marvel ignored his run so much as reinterpreted his ending. Certainly, the run was referenced in Coates's Black Panther and some things just changed back during the eight month gap without explanation (such as Superior Iron Man).
    Hickman himself shows that his run is being ambiguated out at the end of "Secret Wars". The last few pages of "Secret Wars" call back to the opening pages of his "New Avengers" run. But, events clearly unfolded differently.

As I said above, some writers referenced Hickman's run directly, others specifically avoided it. Spencer referenced it as if it happened and was commonly known ("Captain America"), Bendis specifically wrote around it as if it had been over-written and was remembered by only a few ("Iron Man"). They were both top-tier writers. But, either they were given difference direction from editors (who should be on the same page), or they were told "whatever".

I am going with the last few pages of "Secret Wars", and assuming that Marvel does not care about everything fitting together....because Marvel does not.

And, I am still wondering, is Hickman actually confirmed to be going back to Marvel?!?!?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Mighty Member

The majority of Hickman run was clearly ignored. And as much I love Hickman, that's ok. His Avengers run was clearly a deconstruction and an ending of the Marvel Universe. Doctor Strange has sold his soul, and was the leader of the black priests, genocidal sorcerers. Captain America hated so much Iron Man that he chose to fight him when the world was ending. Reed Richards was considered a wanted terrorist. The leaders of the world sold the earth to Thanos and let him destroy the Wakanda. The animosity, the hate, the stakes, were much more important than during Civil Wars. There was no possible return. if nothing was ignored, It's totally illogical that Strange, Iron Man, Reed Richards... were still considered heroes after Secret Wars.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

the nice thing about an ending where the universe is rebuilt is that you can rejigger the universe for an ideal status quo

it happened, the people who know what happened know what happened, the story is over, time to move on
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate