Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Feige's Promotion and the impact on Spider-Man

Today's latest news has Kevin Feige taking over as Chief Creative Officer for Marvel Entertainment, a role previously held by Joe Quesada for a good amount of years. As part of Feige's role, he will oversee the multimedia side (movies, TV, animation), and publishing efforts of Marvel. So my question is simple:

What effect do you think this has on Spider-Man? With Joe Quesada no longer CCO (still an executive according to sources), and Feige being in charge, what do you think he'll do for the Web-Slinger? This could be comics, movies, animation, etc.

Now there is a chance OMD will finally end... maybe (just maybe) Mayday can reappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Now there is a chance OMD will finally end... maybe (just maybe) Mayday can reappear.
    How do you figure?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    How do you figure?
    I would say exactly why I think this could happen, but Mets and the other mods might get angry with me if I do. I'll say this much, because of info I've shared with you in private messages is why with Big Joe gone things could change. I doubt you're fully surprised by Joe's departure after what I told you is happening behind the scenes.

Edit - i.e. My insider sources I can't name told me if Big Joe ever left his position there is a good chance OMD might be undone or at least addressed in some fashion. Because I refuse to out my sources the mods would prefer I do not post about such rumors. If I was allowed I'd say much more about this (Joe's departure and what I've heard was the reason), but I'm not so I must digress.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-15-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I would say exactly why I think this could happen, but Mets and the other mods might get angry with me if I do. I'll say this much, because of info I've shared with you in private messages is why with Big Joe gone things could change.

Edit - i.e. My insider sources I can't name told me if Big Joe ever left his position there is a good chance OMD might be undone or at least addressed in some fashion. Because I refuse to out my sources the mods would prefer I do not post about such rumors.
    But Joe Q isn't gone. He simply has the same position but with a different title. What impact having Feige overseeing the publishing division remains to be seen but Quesada is still very much around.

I imagine Feige will be focused primarily on the TV end of things. Supervising that and overseeing the synergy between the films and the shows is going to leave little time to micromanage the comics.

The most likely effect of Feige being involved with the comics is that publishing will be better equipped to capatilize on what's coming up in TV and film.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    But Joe Q isn't gone. He simply has the same position but with a different title. What impact having Feige overseeing the publishing division remains to be seen but Quesada is still very much around.

I imagine Feige will be focused primarily on the TV end of things. Supervising that and overseeing the synergy between the films and the shows is going to leave little time to micromanage the comics.

The most likely effect of Feige being involved with the comics is that publishing will be better equipped to capatilize on what's coming up in TV and film.
    Which is why I'm so hoping for a live-action Spider-Man show with Peter Parker. We've desperately needed one for years.

I ain’t expecting too much focus on spiderman
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I ain’t expecting too much focus on spiderman
    Most likely not on the comics side. But movies will probably be the same so long as he's playing with Sony. But TV...that's different. Remember, Marvel owns the animation rights for anything under 22 (or 26?) minutes whereas Sony owns anything over that. Could we see a new Spider-Man animated show from Marvel Studios???

BANNED

Quesada's influence has been declining for some time. It started when the Creative Committee he headed bombed hard and was openly denigrated by both Joss Whedon and James Gunn.

Then the Netflix shows got cancelled. These Marvel cartoons he produced with Stephen Wacker have not been setting the world on fire, competing poorly against the 2017 Ducktales among other things. So Quesada's time as CCO in the last few years has been pretty spotty. Of the lot, the Netflix Daredevil show was the best. Another sign of his declining influence is the PS4 game where the developers demanded and somehow got their way to put across a major development to the story of a Spider-Man game that had generally been verboten for adaptations.

BANNED

Well, he has no power now according to what I've heard. Joe's position is only ceremonial. I'm sure everything will be made public soon enough in the press and we can all read about what happened. I can't say more due to forum rules.
    I don't think Disney/Marvel would be interested in paying a salary like the one Joe Q pulls down for strictly ceremonial reasons. For Stan Marvel would do that. Not for Quesada.

Sorry but I just can't put any stock in "what you've heard". An anonymous poster sharing "information" that comes from hush-hush unverified sources (which could be nothing more than "I talk to the owner of my LCS!") is nothing to hang a legit discussion on. It's too likely to be bs. That's not forum rules, it's just common sense.

Time will tell what effect Feige will have on publishing. I would guess "not much" - at least not any time soon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think Disney/Marvel would be interested in paying a salary like the one Joe Q pulls down for strictly ceremonial reasons. For Stan Marvel would do that. Not for Quesada.
    Quesada has actually been trying to put himself across a la Stan. In the Spider-Man cartoon on-air Quesada actually voices a character and appears in one of the episodes. This didn't get comment because the cartoon's poor and not doing well in ratings, but it's the first time any former EIC other than Stan has made cameo appearances in adaptations and with on-air interactions with Spider-Man too. Then Quesada is hosting a documentary series for Disney Plus.

So he's been trying to build his personal brand for quite some time.

Time will tell what effect Feige will have on publishing. I would guess "not much" - at least not any time soon.
    Feige has declared multiple times that he's a major fan of the JMS run on both ASM and Thor. JMS' run on ASM was the last time we had a married Spider-Man.

I think Feige will have an indirect effect. All he has to do is give a speech to everyone at Marvel and say something vague and drop some hints that filter downwards. Then some writer or another can make a pitch, like say undoing OMD, and editors and others shrug and go overhead...and Feige in one of those 20 or 10mn meetings busy people allow just shrugs his shoulders and goes "why not" and signs off on it.

This is just a personal thing, but I hope this doesn't mean more takes of Spider-Man in the MCU-mold or trying to promote that take more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Quesada has actually been trying to put himself across a la Stan. In the Spider-Man cartoon on-air Quesada actually voices a character and appears in one of the episodes. This didn't get comment because the cartoon's poor and not doing well in ratings
    I think it actually did solid ratings for Disney XD, especially compared to the other Marvel cartoons.

At least before the super-long hiatus.

BANNED

I do wonder if there will be some synergy involved.
    I think Feige is smart enough to know that the numbers who buy comics aren't remotely as big as the numbers who buy movies. So synergy doesn't mean anything there. He also knows that it's not good for the MCU to cannibalize itself...i.e. if MCU bases itself on comics, and comics start becoming more like the MCU...then eventually the MCU will be adapting itself and that won't be good.

So I think he will be mostly hands-off.

His real problem is that with such a big name being allowed a say in Marvel...pay disputes and other stuff dealing with writers/artists working for Marvel will be a bigger problem. Apparently Hickman had issues with the Black Order showing up in the Avengers movies and becoming super-profitable without any of that coming to him...and Starlin had his own issues with Tom Brevoort and Marvel publishing and openly said he preferred dealing with Marvel Studios.

Feige's whole shtick is being a nice guy and popular with fans...artists/writers working at Marvel can use that as leverage to negotiate higher pay and ask Feige to step in. As is it the comics industry doesn't have unions anything like in Hollywood (WGA, SAG, and others) and Feige is a Hollywood guy. So that might be something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think Feige is smart enough to know that the numbers who buy comics aren't remotely as big as the numbers who buy movies. So synergy doesn't mean anything there. He also knows that it's not good for the MCU to cannibalize itself...i.e. if MCU bases itself on comics, and comics start becoming more like the MCU...then eventually the MCU will be adapting itself and that won't be good.

So I think he will be mostly hands-off.

His real problem is that with such a big name being allowed a say in Marvel...pay disputes and other stuff dealing with writers/artists working for Marvel will be a bigger problem. Apparently Hickman had issues with the Black Order showing up in the Avengers movies and becoming super-profitable without any of that coming to him...and Starlin had his own issues with Tom Brevoort and Marvel publishing and openly said he preferred dealing with Marvel Studios.

Feige's whole shtick is being a nice guy and popular with fans...artists/writers working at Marvel can use that as leverage to negotiate higher pay and ask Feige to step in. As is it the comics industry doesn't have unions anything like in Hollywood (WGA, SAG, and others) and Feige is a Hollywood guy. So that might be something to consider.
    That's a little too much to start off the bat...

As long as we don't get MCU Spider-Man: The Animated Series, I'll be happy.