Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I'm excited for when the avengers fight them again, you know Aaron is going to make the fight amazing and do Blade justice.

Also I think Aaron is slowly building up Blade for an epic fight with Dracula. He gets an upgrade nearly every arc. (Boy-thing and now the breathing gun).
    Even prior to Blade getting upgraded into a half vamp, Blade was always able to somewhat hold his own against Dracula. Drac is always clearly the stronger more powerful of the two, but Blade can still fight him. With the upgrades Aaron is providing, on paper I think Blade might actually be the more powerful of the two for once. Breathing gun probably won't do much to a vampire (I think it specifically is designed to kill angels and demons), but Boy Thing should be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdogg View Post
    Sometimes you have Vampires able to smack Spider-Man around and then get beat by a normal human. Who was that Vampire that was able to get some good shots on Captain Marvel?
    Spider-Man is never a good guage for this sort of thing. On a bad guy he's struggling with Kingpin, and on a really really good day he's taking shots from Juggernaut. He's all over the place.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Even prior to Blade getting upgraded into a half vamp, Blade was always able to somewhat hold his own against Dracula. Drac is always clearly the stronger more powerful of the two, but Blade can still fight him. With the upgrades Aaron is providing, on paper I think Blade might actually be the more powerful of the two for once. Breathing gun probably won't do much to a vampire (I think it specifically is designed to kill angels and demons), but Boy Thing should be a problem.
    I mean vampires are demon adjacent, wouldn't be surprised if it had some utility.

Also it'll be tough. Most of Blade's earliest fights with Dracula are Dracula smacking him around while Blade screams about killing him.

Lets not forget, Blade was about even (maybe a bit weaker) than Xarus in their last fight, and Dracula has made short work of Xarus in the past.

I mean vampires are demon adjacent, wouldn't be surprised if it had some utility.

Also it'll be tough. Most of Blade's earliest fights with Dracula are Dracula smacking him around while Blade screams about killing him.

Lets not forget, Blade was about even (maybe a bit weaker) than Xarus in their last fight, and Dracula has made short work of Xarus in the past.
    I don't think the fight with Xarus was actually THAT close. Yeah, they were going blow for blow but every one of Blades blows was effectively lacking off an arm or a leg. Xarus would punch Blade, then lose an arm. Xarus would blast Blade, then get his leg chopped off.

I don't doubt that Dracula would have superior physical stats.... but a much weaker Blade has held his own against Dracula before. Not saying they will job Dracula out... but it's a much much much easier fight for Blade than it has been in the past.

Is Savage Avengers still going on?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think the fight with Xarus was actually THAT close. Yeah, they were going blow for blow but every one of Blades blows was effectively lacking off an arm or a leg. Xarus would punch Blade, then lose an arm. Xarus would blast Blade, then get his leg chopped off.

I don't doubt that Dracula would have superior physical stats.... but a much weaker Blade has held his own against Dracula before. Not saying they will job Dracula out... but it's a much much much easier fight for Blade than it has been in the past.
    I mean blade was about to get decapitated before ghost rider clocked Xarus

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is Savage Avengers still going on?
    Last I checked, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You have one writer who says Blade has one ton strength. And his knowledge of Blade prior to writing was questionable. This is the same guy that gave Blade a gun for a hand. And if all Vampires are created equal. How does Blade mop the floor with them so easily? He didn’t even gain his powers from a conventional Vampire. Morbius was created through science.

Even these two bios show discrepancies in strength.

I believe Blade was retconned into always having his powers, though. According to him, Morbius's bite didn't really do anything.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    I believe Blade was retconned into always having his powers, though. According to him, Morbius's bite didn't really do anything.
    There are a lot of ways to read that line. To me, it sounds like Blade is trying to ignore the fact that it probably did. That being said, in the comic it happens at, it's not like a lot comes from it. It's just a real quick little thing and not much mind is paid to it. I'm sure some writer will do something with it someday, but the fact is, exactly what Morbius's bite does to his victims is pretty inconsistent. Most people never turn, while in a Spider-Man issue, it's commented on that one of his victims was given some sort of injection to keep herself from turning. And even recently, there was a very short scene in Crazy #1 where a guy was bitten and turned in a few short hours. And, of course, Vic Slaughter and several others.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    There are a lot of ways to read that line. To me, it sounds like Blade is trying to ignore the fact that it probably did. That being said, in the comic it happens at, it's not like a lot comes from it. It's just a real quick little thing and not much mind is paid to it. I'm sure some writer will do something with it someday, but the fact is, exactly what Morbius's bite does to his victims is pretty inconsistent. Most people never turn, while in a Spider-Man issue, it's commented on that one of his victims was given some sort of injection to keep herself from turning. And even recently, there was a very short scene in Crazy #1 where a guy was bitten and turned in a few short hours. And, of course, Vic Slaughter and several others.
    I also think most of Blades recent bios state that he was made half-vampire at birth and that gives him all his powers. I dont think he was ever talked about as half vampire before the spiderman cartoon.

Spectacular Member

I also think most of Blades recent bios state that he was made half-vampire at birth and that gives him all his powers. I dont think he was ever talked about as half vampire before the spiderman cartoon.
    I'm pretty sure you're right Blade is being written as being always born half vampire.

Guggenheim did give Blade that internal dialogue dismissing that the Morbius bite had changed him. We didn't really have a ton of confirmation Marvel had rebooted Blade until History of the Marvel comics and a few other bio pages. See Below.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 7.01.52 AM.jpg

5.jpg

The problem with Guggenheim was he wasn't familiar with the modern/most popular version of Blade. He just read Tomb of Dracula and probably wiki'd some things. Whereas, writters like Jason Aaron, Al Ewing. Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn understood how to characterize modern Blade. His motivaitons, his abilities, strengths, weaknesses, what makes him tick. Tom Brevoort tried to get Blade on the Avengers over a decade ago, glad someone finally pulled the trigger.

Another problem with Marvel is that vampires are largely inconsistent. A writter can come in and do whatever he wants with vampires without having to adhere to anything generic popculture lore.This guy does a decent breakdown of Marvel vampires (its two years old so it doesn't touch on Spirits of Vengeance or the latest Avengers run):

I'm excited for when the avengers fight them again, you know Aaron is going to make the fight amazing and do Blade justice.

Also I think Aaron is slowly building up Blade for an epic fight with Dracula. He gets an upgrade nearly every arc. (Boy-thing and now the breathing gun).
    I hope you are right. I was surprised to see him sticking with the team this long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The J-man

@Jabare

Great post.

Fantastic Member

The historical origin of vampires in the Marvel universe is that they are a byproduct from a spell that comes from the Darkhold. Which gives them a clear mystical background thst I think should be ever present. That said, they're probably too beneath Chthon's notice to be important.

Of course there are some like Morbius who are more science based(though he has at times exhibited supernatural abilities).

Though I personally prefer when vampirism is more like a supernatural curse that indeed does something to corrupt one's nature when turned rather than it be a biological virus, I did like that Deacon Frost turned himself into one by scientific means in the Blade anime.

Fantastic Member

Am I the only one who'd like to see Blade weild Excalibur? Just once, I mean.