Page 33 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    makes me wonder if that 2006 series series would have been more successful with a better artist behind it.
    maybe to a degree.

One disconnect I had with the series was Guggenheim's view and tone of Blade. One the surface it seemed perfectly fine, but as the series went on it felt more like OG Blade then the modern Blade storngly influenced by the movies. The clothing was alright. You didn't really get the sense Blade was superhuman unlike we do in most other stories in the last 10 years, outside of him biting his hand off (which should have been much cooler then it ended up being) and ripping off that immortal vampires head. That run started off pretty decently, saving Spider-Man and killing Dracula. Guggenheim had two new creative villains (Santa and the Priest).

Other then that tho I wasn't really feeling the run. The Blade vs Wolverine fight was incredibly anti-climactic. Then the introduction of Blade's father and everything else was kind of random and boring. Some of Guggenheim's ideas were decent, but the execution was lacking. I cna think back on 4 to 5 story elements that actually sound really cool, but the way they ended up was underwhelming.You can put that on the artist if you want and maybe some of it was just that, but I cna't put 100% of it on the art
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    maybe to a degree.

One disconnect I had with the series was Guggenheim's view and tone of Blade. One the surface it seemed perfectly fine, but as the series went on it felt more like OG Blade then the modern Blade storngly influenced by the movies. The clothing was alright. You didn't really get the sense Blade was superhuman unlike we do in most other stories in the last 10 years, outside of him biting his hand off (which should have been much cooler then it ended up being) and ripping off that immortal vampires head. That run started off pretty decently, saving Spider-Man and killing Dracula. Guggenheim had two new creative villains (Santa and the Priest).

Other then that tho I wasn't really feeling the run. The Blade vs Wolverine fight was incredibly anti-climactic. Then the introduction of Blade's father and everything else was kind of random and boring. Some of Guggenheim's ideas were decent, but the execution was lacking. I cna think back on 4 to 5 story elements that actually sound really cool, but the way they ended up was underwhelming.You can put that on the artist if you want and maybe some of it was just that, but I cna't put 100% of it on the art
    yea, essentially agree with this. the dr. doom one was another story that could have been cool, but it really felt like he didn't understand Blade had powers for a while. I mean Blade gets a scratch that straight up doesn't heal for most of the issue. he gets knocked out by a bullet to the chest while protected by kevlar early in that wolverine issue too. a lot of stuff that just didn't make sense if you're writing a super powered character.

Spectacular Member

I think better art would have helped a little.

Fantastic Member

The art for the 2006 book was horrendous. Made Blade look like a middle aged sitcom dad. I also don't like that they're acknowledging that Blade attempted to infect someone with vampirism, just to more easily stake them. I know Blade is all about doing things pragmatically, but that's going too far for my personal tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    The art for the 2006 book was horrendous. Made Blade look like a middle aged sitcom dad. I also don't like that they're acknowledging that Blade attempted to infect someone with vampirism, just to more easily stake them. I know Blade is all about doing things pragmatically, but that's going too far for my personal tastes.
    My headcanon has always been that Blade was bluffing, and that the syringe was actually filled with garlic extract.
    Last edited by Gav; 07-09-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    this is actually a great point. I was so annoyed Blade got overwhelmed in a matter of seconds by an opponent without super speed or super strength I totally ignored that.
    The J-man

I don't know... yeah he could have put up more of a fight but at the same time Blade's always been about a 1 toner in the strength department. It's not totally unfeasible what happen.

I wish he had a better showing but I also get that the writer may have need away to push the story along. *shrug*
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Oh please Blade got curbed like Jimmy Olsen at a bdsm parlor
    The J-man

if we're talking about Wolverine, his strength and speed are slightly enhanced. i'm more embarrassed by his fight with Gambit.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but I encourage you all to reread that fight. Blade has superhuman stats, he isn't Jarvis. He is somebody who can hang with Spider-Man and other supernatural monsters demons, werewolves etc. Guggenheim wrote Blade like he was Dumdum Dugan
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

What fight exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    if we're talking about Wolverine, his strength and speed are slightly enhanced. i'm more embarrassed by his fight with Gambit.
    On a really good day, Wolverine can hang with the Hulk. There are very few people pn a given day that he hasn't had solid thsn showings against.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdogg View Post
    What fight exactly?

Blade vs Wolverine in the 2006 book.

Guggenheim made Blade look like a chump.

I don't know if it's just me, but I have a preference for characters like Blade and Wolverine to not even interact with one another in the first place.

For those who remember the fight. Blade stabs logan in the chest with his sword he acts like its a mosquito bite and the fight is basically over from there.

Wolverine closes distance and gets on top all is done.

The manner in which things happens matters as it pays respect to the characters and their creators. There was no enhanced speed or strength displayed in that fight. No h2h skill.

The reason Wolverine "hangs" with Hulk is because of his adamantium skeleton and healing factor. And the way he goes about fighting him is unique. Plus its more of Logan delaying his loss then him actually standing a chance against the modern day Hulk.
    The J-man

BANNED

Guggenheim admitted to having "no knowledge or particular love" for Blade as a character in much the same way that Coates stated for T'Challa prior to debuting as BP scribe, and it showed in Guggenheim's mediocre work on the Blade book back in 2006.

He should not have been allowed anywhere near a Blade book in the aftermath of his tired work on the character previously.