Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's sort of interesting how popular the kitana is. Quite honestly as far as sword functionality, it's not terribly good in at anything (though it's at least OKAY at several things). But despite that, it's one of the most romanasized swords in all of fiction. I certainly think it looks and sounds cool. And it's a big part japanesse culture, which has gone on to greatly influence a lot of sci-fi as a whole. So yeah... we get a lot of kitanas in comics.
    Not to mention Japanese steel is notoriously low quality.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    Not to mention Japanese steel is notoriously low quality.
    Well, Japan has little in the way of natural resources, which is in part why Japanese swordsmiths use such different processes then European ones. tey

A well made traditional Katana "can" be great quality. Tamagahane steel holds some unique characteristics that make it very durable steel. This metal has a higher carbon content than modern steels. Technically "tamahagane" is not initially steel if I understand the process correctly. I believe in its raw state it would be classified as iron which is melted from the soil. The blacksmith/metalworker adds carbon to the iron (to make steel) by drawing the carbon from the charcoal in the forge. Next folding the steel in a particular sequence, the swordsmith differentially distributes the carbon to the blade. The standard higher quality katana will have more carbon in the edge and less at the spine and center.

I believe the drop in katana quality really happened around World War II because all Japanese officers were required to wear a sword and the government commissioned non-swordsmiths who used different processes to meet the demand. Tamahagane supplies were limited and quicker sword methods were needed.

A masterwork level Katana is a work of art and the "process" in which they are made is pretty incredible.

However, if we are just talking about use and not the process. The highest quality European blades are usually more versatile depending on what you need them for. Also, the swords were designed for different purposes. Katanas are fast to draw and fast to use. Medieval Longswords were built for trench warfare and normally designed to withstand more blunt trauma.

Katanas tend to be more romanticised, especially when you have movies with one guy taking down a dozen opponents. A katana usually fits in better. Even though ironically enough, Blade did not use a katana in any of the movies. His sword is an entirely different design.

There is no real-world equivalent for Blade's movie sword the closest swords to it are: the Middle Eastern Omani kattara, the Chinese jian, the Japanese ken or tsurugi and some West African swords that are double-edged.

Now that I think about it a West African or Middle Eastern sword might be a better comparison because Blade's movie sword is guardless and you don't really find any practical guardless European or Asian swords. You can find some tsurugi swords online but those are all for show, any practical sword needs a guard.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Just a week out from the next Avengers and, more importantly, Wolverine vs. Blade. I know Guggenheim has let us down before, but I can't help but be excited for this book.

also a panel from Blade's appearance in the last Avengers issue

I like the art style for Blade during this run.

Aaron's really pushing him as a vampire. The way he jumped this issue and was draining his enemies.

It's very interesting because in the movies Blade was so against consuming blood. He had his serum, and his enhanced abilities but he was otherwise super against anything vampire.

Heck I can't even imagine the OG human Blade ever getting on board with this.

Guess this will just be something I pay attention too going forward.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Is there a preview up for Wolverine vs Blade?

I'm a little excited been waiting 10 years for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Just a week out from the next Avengers and, more importantly, Wolverine vs. Blade. I know Guggenheim has let us down before, but I can't help but be excited for this book.

also a panel from Blade's appearance in the last Avengers issue

who was the two-bit hulk?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who was the two-bit hulk?
    "berserkers of roxxon"

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdogg View Post
    Is there a preview up for Wolverine vs Blade?

I'm a little excited been waiting 10 years for this.

Not yet. We should get them on Friday though.

I think we should remember that Guggeneheim writes Blade with fewer powers and more reliant on his weaponry. Should be interesting.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I like the art style for Blade during this run.

Aaron's really pushing him as a vampire. The way he jumped this issue and was draining his enemies.

It's very interesting because in the movies Blade was so against consuming blood. He had his serum, and his enhanced abilities but he was otherwise super against anything vampire.

Heck I can't even imagine the OG human Blade ever getting on board with this.

Guess this will just be something I pay attention too going forward.
    I think Blade can make exceptions if it's a situation like being thrown into a blood pool(Blade 2), or being rained on by literal blood(possessed Thor). As long as he's not infecting someone with vampirism, perhaps he's okay with it in the right situation.

Spectacular Member

Art looks good. The little bio for Blades powers give me some hope Guggenheim won't neuter him to bad.

BANNED

That art is killer. Will happily get this just for how good it looks.

Mighty Member

I'm wondering how similar this'll be to the anime episode where Blade and Wolverine fight a vampire faction on Madripoor.

I'm also loving Blade's sword in this. Don't think he's ever used one similar.

art llooks amazing
    The J-man

i don't see a gun-hand so hopefully nothing involving that in this story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    art llooks amazing
    makes me wonder if that 2006 series series would have been more successful with a better artist behind it.