Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    From rumors that I’ve read, there’s a possibility of them doing something involving Blade and his daughter, Fallon Grey, who was supposed to be introduced years ago in the comics be never got fully realized. If that’s the case it would fit into Hulus teen/young adult drama format but I hope it doesn’t happen. I just want Blade by himself, Blade is the only character who gets put in the back burner for some random supporting character (Blade Trinity, Blade The Series) and it’s very annoying to read or watch something related to a character and have it be about someone else other than the character whose name is in the title. No daughters, no random woman, no spin off characters just Eric Brooks aka Blade.
    Only reason I doubt it is because the idea never got off the ground in the comics and I think they use the comics to test ideas for their media.

If we're taking votes, I don't need Blade to have a daughter.

Astonishing Member

in War of the Realms you see a cameo by Spitfire, so I asked Aaron on twitter if Blade give out a reaction considering they were or still dating.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Only reason I doubt it is because the idea never got off the ground in the comics and I think they use the comics to test ideas for their media.
    If I remember, the writer who was supposed to get the book said they didn't feel comfortable writing a book about a young woman of color when they were not. Not sure if that was the real reason or if they just didn't want to try the book.

So Hulu is going to try and do Spirit of Vengeance? Blade teaming up with Hellstrom and Ghost Rider. I guess Satana or that red-headed monster hunter could join the team too

The real question is will Wesley Snipes return or will they go with a new Blade?

I don't mind giving Blade a kid if it's in like season 7 or season 8 and its done right, but I don't trust most people to handle it correctly.

Blade's got to be on point. He should be a force of nature and the fight scenes need to be amazing. Also, Vampires need to be boss. No Buffy Vampires. No Twilight Vampires. No Vampire Diary Vampires. We want bad@$$ vampires
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

I think the problem with Blade right now is that he doesn't really have a story. I mean, he's fine with his life and who he is. There's nothing for him to change into or become. There isn't really this inner struggle with him the way we see with Wolverine and there isn't even really a moral grey area the way there is with the Punisher.

What can you do with a character like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think the problem with Blade right now is that he doesn't really have a story. I mean, he's fine with his life and who he is. There's nothing for him to change into or become. There isn't really this inner struggle with him the way we see with Wolverine and there isn't even really a moral grey area the way there is with the Punisher.

no inner struggle? his whole character is inner struggle.

He's a dhamphir that hunts vampires. The world hates and fears him. He doesn't need a moral grey. Hell for Punisher they basically craft the plot around him so he comes off less psycho or tone him down a lot like they did in the Netflix show. Wolverine basically usurped Cyclops role and is the man X-men character while also being that character that can pop up anywhere.

Back to Blade, characters like Blade have existed forever. And I'm not just talking about Vampire Hunters like Buffy or Van Helsing. I'm talking about epic questing charcters. Conan, Vampire Hunter D, Solomon Kane, Gutts from Berserk, Hellboy, Savage Dragon (originally) etc. etc. etc.

What makes Blade so popular is that he has a very basic human struggle. Blade is a vampire (half vampire/dhamphir) that hunts other vampires. That he's one of them at the same time and has to deal with this bloodlust makes him even more heroic. It's one thing to be a hero and do the right thing its another to go against your own nature. He's dedicated himself to hunting a part of himself. There is this conflicted nature inherent to Blade. Hating part of what you are, being seen as a monster. Can he overcome that? Can he be better than this thirst inside him? This condition that was forced upon him. That killed his mother. Blade's job is to go up against the very thing he could be. He's continually fighting the man in the mirror. As Blade triumphs over vampires and bests each one he's winning for himself, winnign for his soul.

This is a man whose mother was taken with him. His earliest friends and parental figures taken from him by vampires. He's turned himself into a one man army against the supernatural that threatens humanity.

Indy comics, Anime, manga, modern day litterature has time and time again given us compelling stories in thsi regard. The best Blade stories, movies, anime and comics do a fantastic job. Even other properties. Vampire Hunter D, Highlander etc.

Blade is actually one of the few characters thats in a great place characterwise. Great origin. Great backstory. Intersting history depending or potential history if you want to change things and go in a new direction. Incredibly compelling skillset. Litterally all you have to do is write Blade decently and that starts with hi opponents/enemies. I'm sorry if someone can't write vampires than I have to question their credentials. I could name about 50 great vampire properties off the top of my head.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

But Blade is fine being what he is. He hasn't angsted about it in a long while.

doesn't mean he doesn't have to deal with it's his life. We literally just saw this in War of the Realms where he fights against an allusion of himself as a vampire lord. I don't need Blade wallowing in self-pity like a teenager. He's the man and should always carry himself like that as he normally does. Out of the potential problems with Blade his character is absolutely not one of them. The problem with Blade in the Marvel Universe is very few writers treat vampires with respect.

Outside of this past Avengers arc, when was the last time vampires were written as a threat? Captain Brittain MI:13 in 2009? Deadpool: The Gauntlet a few Years back? That Might Avengers book (those weren't vampires I think he was fighting demons or something)? Blade actually does have a handful of solid appearance in recent years, but they can be spotty.
    The J-man

Monster hunters have always been a thing. Always. And what makes them work is that the monsters they hunt are very terrifying or intriguing or mysterious etc.

Marvel just needs to retap into its horror side. They've gone away from it over the years but it feels like they are finally embracing it again. Hopefully, with the success of Steven King and all these horror movies, Marvel will keep moving forward

EDIT: I don't even know why we are complaining. Jason Aaron hs put Blade in a great position. He's had several good issues in Avengers recently.

Rumors of a Blade TV show. We might have to deal with a PG-13 Blade but as long as the fight scenes are on point and Blade is treated like an alpha I can live with it.
    Last edited by Jabare; 05-03-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post

Well what I've been noticing the past few stories is they're starting to center some of Blade's inner turmoil in these stories. In Avengers, Xarus consistently asked whether Blade actually cared about humans (and was surprised to find that he does) and we were let in to Blade's inner thoughts where he wonders who he'd be without the hunt for vampires, and realized he'd never be anything other than a monster (which he kinda communicates to T'Challa). Then recently in this Dark Elves one-shot, we see his deepest fear is accepting his powers (which looks like it could be a confirmation for those who believe Blade has more vampiric power that he suppresses) and he stops protecting mankind.

Looks like they're really testing his inner motivations and who he is aside from the constant hunt. I've really admired what they've been doing with him this year.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Monster hunters have always been a thing. Always. And what makes them work is that the monsters they hunt are very terrifying or intriguing or mysterious etc.

Marvel just needs to retap into its horror side. They've gone away from it over the years but it feels like they are finally embracing it again. Hopefully, with the success of Steven King and all these horror movies, Marvel will keep moving forward

EDIT: I don't even know why we are complaining. Jason Aaron hs put Blade in a great position. He's had several good issues in Avengers recently.

Rumors of a Blade TV show. We might have to deal with a PG-13 Blade but as long as the fight scenes are on point and Blade is treated like an alpha I can live with it.
    The more I think about it, the less I think they'll put Blade on Hulu. Even though he was on the most recent iteration of the team I don't think they do marvel shows other than teen-dramas on Hulu.

Hulu does a variety of shows. If Blade isn't getting a movie his best options are Hulu or Disney+. He isn't getting an ABC show. I'm not sure if Disney owns FX now, but I guess thats an option, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't put money on it.

For those wanting to play Blade better work on your fight moves:

The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Hulu does a variety of shows. If Blade isn't getting a movie his best options are Hulu or Disney+. He isn't getting an ABC show. I'm not sure if Disney owns FX now, but I guess thats an option, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't put money on it.

For those wanting to play Blade better work on your fight moves:

Hulu does, but all of their marvel shows are teen dramas.

At this point I'm hoping for Disney + or a feature film. I would've been down for Netflix, but don't trust Hulu or ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Hulu does, but all of their marvel shows are teen dramas.

At this point I'm hoping for Disney + or a feature film. I would've been down for Netflix, but don't trust Hulu or ABC
    yeah Netflix lets you do whatever you want they jsut cut the check. ABC no way. I don't know enough about Hulu Originals to say for certain.

I'm hopeful that we will get a Doctor Strange, Blade and Ghost Rider team up film in the future.

My primary worry right now is who they will cast for Blade.

Not everyone can pull off these moves, while being a good actor:

I don't want them to just cast any actor but a great actor who has range. Chadwick, Snipes, Sterling K. Brown they all got range. I kind of want them to find an unknown. Also Marvel's got to go out and get some creative writters and knock the story out of the park. Give us some great villains.
    The J-man