Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Guggenheim wrote a decent Blade in that Marvel Comics Presents arc. Almost didn't seem like it was the same writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    For those who remember the fight. Blade stabs logan in the chest with his sword he acts like its a mosquito bite and the fight is basically over from there.

Wolverine closes distance and gets on top all is done.

The manner in which things happens matters as it pays respect to the characters and their creators. There was no enhanced speed or strength displayed in that fight. No h2h skill.

The reason Wolverine "hangs" with Hulk is because of his adamantium skeleton and healing factor. And the way he goes about fighting him is unique. Plus its more of Logan delaying his loss then him actually standing a chance against the modern day Hulk.
    I haven't read the fight in forever, but I think the point was that Blade allowed Logan to get close enough to inject the vamp blood into him. THe idea being it would give him a fessible way to get around Logans healing factor, since stabbling Logan with a sword all day likely won't slow him down under normal circumstances.

Course, as someone else alluded to it's sort of a dick move.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I haven't read the fight in forever, but I think the point was that Blade allowed Logan to get close enough to inject the vamp blood into him. THe idea being it would give him a fessible way to get around Logans healing factor, since stabbling Logan with a sword all day likely won't slow him down under normal circumstances.

Course, as someone else alluded to it's sort of a dick move.
    That's how in interpreted the fight. Blade knew slicing and dicing wouldn't cut it against Logan.

Tomorrows battle is probably going to go the same way.

Mighty Member

For those who remember the fight. Blade stabs logan in the chest with his sword he acts like its a mosquito bite and the fight is basically over from there.

Wolverine closes distance and gets on top all is done.

The manner in which things happens matters as it pays respect to the characters and their creators. There was no enhanced speed or strength displayed in that fight. No h2h skill.

The reason Wolverine "hangs" with Hulk is because of his adamantium skeleton and healing factor. And the way he goes about fighting him is unique. Plus its more of Logan delaying his loss then him actually standing a chance against the modern day Hulk.
    I didn't really read it like that. they both get a few shots in and then Guggenheim comes up with a way for them to stalemate. Blade figures out how to get around Logan's healing factor, and Wolverine was in place to decapitate Blade. In terms of who took more damage, Wolverine was riddled with bullets and stabbed through the chest, Blade caught claws to the face and some superficial strikes that didn't get through his kevlar. I saw it as more boring than embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I didn't really read it like that. they both get a few shots in and then Guggenheim comes up with a way for them to stalemate. Blade figures out how to get around Logan's healing factor, and Wolverine was in place to decapitate Blade. In terms of who took more damage, Wolverine was riddled with bullets and stabbed through the chest, Blade caught claws to the face and some superficial strikes that didn't get through his kevlar. I saw it as more boring than embarrassing.
    Yeah, it was sort of a lame fight and the art didn't help. Some of those klaw swipes to the face looked more like a high school girls cat fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I agree with this. The scene was almost a throw away then it being a true critical moment for the character.

I sorta feel that it wasn't meant to be that way but thats how it came across to me.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Mighty Member

Spoilers for Avengers 21 and Wolverine vs. Blade:

Avengers 21:
    nothing special in this one. It's one of those fun, lowkey issues. Blade and She-Hulk have a weird moment and we find out why Blade is largely absent for the next few issues. Also we get another boy-thing ability. Allows Blade to fly.

Wolverine vs. Blade:
    It's EXACTLY like Guggenheim's series. The fight with Wolverine is even shorter than in that old comic and goes largely exactly the same. The main difference is the art looks MUCH better, and we see Blade actually heal.

Blade kills a vampiric Wolverine clone in 2 panels. Kinda exactly how the Guggenheim series was. Very cool ideas with some boring execution because he never really pushes Blade to his limits the way writers have since.

I love the Blade design though. Based on Michael Jai White like in his Marvel Comics Present mini series.

Like Tracks said, the Blade vs Wolverine art was great. Kindof static but otherwise really solid with good inking. The premise was okay but the execution was so-so and that Blade dialogue doesn't work for me way too chatty like he's trying to be Spider-Man. Guggenheim still writes Blade like he did in the 2006 series which doesn't feel like Blade.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

I'm also guessing the pages they chopped off are Wolverine fighting his vampire clone. He jumps in to attack and the next page is just him telling Blade to take over.

Where is Warren Ellis? He usually has good Blade ideas
    The J-man

I don't know why but for some reason I didn't think the comic would be so simplistic. The story was very simple.

You can tell this was written in 2006-2007ish they even kept the X-Force line.

On the positive, there was no gun-hand and Blade looked dope. His dialogue felt a little off tho. I'd say check out the issue for the artwork, everything else is just okay. The villain and the plot are kind of generic.

On Avengers I love what Aaron did with Boy-thing. The She-Hulk conversation would have been fine if Aaron didn't give Jenn this weird internal monologue like she's a 16-year-old girl. Still cool appearance for Blade.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

I don't know why but for some reason I didn't think the comic would be so simplistic. The story was very simple.

You can tell this was written in 2006-2007ish they even kept the X-Force line.

On the positive, there was no gun-hand and Blade looked dope. His dialogue felt a little off tho. I'd say check out the issue for the artwork, everything else is just okay. The villain and the plot are kind of generic.

On Avengers I love what Aaron did with Boy-thing. The She-Hulk conversation would have been fine if Aaron didn't give Jenn this weird internal monologue like she's a 16-year-old girl. Still cool appearance for Blade.
    Cause there were so many pages! But so much of it is used on stuff that I think isn't all that interesting. Like they spend so much time setting up a fight that's over in 2 pages. And it's not like they have to get creative really. "Oh it doesn't work when we stab him by ourselves, let's try stabbing him at the same time"

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Wasn't the book in delay limbo for an eternity? Anyways, mainly picked it up for for the art. It wasn't really "Wolverine Vs. Blade", it was more like them fighting a random Vampire sect and then a evil clone twist at the end.

Fantastic Member

Blade mentioned in Avengers 22 that he could smell frost giant blood fnee miles away. Which makes complete sense. If nothing else, a vampire should have a super keen sense of smell when it comes to recognizing blood.

Also I like his bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Guggenheim admitted to having "no knowledge or particular love" for Blade as a character in much the same way that Coates stated for T'Challa prior to debuting as BP scribe, and it showed in Guggenheim's mediocre work on the Blade book back in 2006.

He should not have been allowed anywhere near a Blade book in the aftermath of his tired work on the character previously.
    It's especially annoying that he got another shot at the character considering that Blade has been portrayed pretty consistently well ever since Captain Britain i& MI13, except for maybe one hiccup that I can remember. It says something when Blade is near fantastic in a comedic Deadpool comic rather than his own.
    Last edited by BlackWind; 07-10-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Mighty Member

Yea, he really writes a power down Blade. And I realize part of the problem with his and some older Blade stories is that his enemies are either entirely too easy for him (random vampires) or completely outclass him. There really are only a few fights that I've seen where Blade has to exert considerable effort and/or creativity to come out on top.

Either way, I don't think book was bad, just a bit forgettable, which sucks cause these really are two of my favorite characters.