Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    This is an incredibly unexpected choice. I really thought that they would go for someone younger, a relative unknown. Instead, they're going with an experienced and acclaimed actor. Granted, I'm not sure he's really someone who can demand a very high salary. This is definitely an opportunity that he couldn't have passed up.
    I think he’s gonna kill this role. But on the other hand, I think this confirms once and for all that the Netflix shows aren’t canon to the MCU.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I wanted a young Blade but I'll take Ali any day of the week.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    They'll use the worst Blade story ark ever as inspiration for the movie. They'll also try to turn it into a action comedy.
    We're talking about an actor most known for his dramatic talents. Not sure this is what they would go for.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I think he’s gonna kill this role. But on the other hand, I think this confirms once and for all that the Netflix shows aren’t canon to the MCU.
    They're as canon as you want them to be

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    They'll use the worst Blade story ark ever as inspiration for the movie. They'll also try to turn it into a action comedy.
    I highly doubt it. Marvel is pretty good about setting the tone for their movies. I think they try to look to what made the originals so good, what worked in the comics, and look at how Logan achieved its success.

But which story arc do we think they loosely build on?

I have a feeling they'll go for Damnation interwoven with the Crescent City Blues with Deacon Frost.

As in, we'll see some of those elements of Damnation in the next Dr. Strange movie and introduce Blade, and then we'll see a classic Frost/Blade match-up for the first movie.
    Last edited by Tracks; 07-20-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Re: Blade's strength he has to be superhuman there. He's had fights where he casually rips his opponents limbs off.

And yea the laser vision thing is the biggest difference between Guggenheims Blade and more recent versions. Guggenheims Blade was solely a vampire hunter that was out of his wheelhouse doing anything else. More recently, we've seen a Blade that's made his name vampire hunting, but is more than equipped to deal with other threats (taught powerman how to use his powers, put down ghost rider, put down those roxxon monsters, didn't blink twice when Xarus fired laser vision, etc.)

Also I'm guessing we might not see Blade for the month of August. Which is cool, it used to be he'd go years without an appearance, now it's weird if he goes a month.
    Very good point. A problem I have with the Guggenheim version is he writes Blade as a watered down version of only the film incarnation.

Blade has been doing thinfs other than vampires. since the 90s in real time. And at least since the 70s within comic time, considering the flashbacks when he encountered the Deathwalkers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    Very good point. A problem I have with the Guggenheim version is he writes Blade as a watered down version of only the film incarnation.

Blade has been doing thinfs other than vampires. since the 90s in real time. And at least since the 70s within comic time, considering the flashbacks when he encountered the Deathwalkers.
    exactly, and given how he's been used recently in the comics, I'm betting he's gonna be in dr. strange 2 and in all the supernatural stuff. I mean strikeforce is basically his team, and it doesn't seem like it's all about vampires.

Happy to hear the news! Hopefully, we will get a true Blade that fans will enjoy for ages to come.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Hell Yeah!!!!!

I am neither over nor underwhelmed, simply whelmed.

Is this going to have an "R" rating? Much like Deadpool Blade deserves his "R" rating. The most memorable line in the first movie doesn't happen without that "R" rating.

I know Ali can act but the action element is every bit as important and I don't see him as being able to pull off the action stuff.

The fact that people are talking about what story to adapt depresses me to no end because Marvel Comics Blade has been hot garbage for awhile and only recently has gotten better. Tell a brand new story using the first story/movie as inspiration.

Ali is older and this has me worried that Marvel will try to use this as a backdoor to try to go the legacy route and give Blade a daughter like they were threatening to do awhile back.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-20-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wasn't a little worried about Mahershalalhashbaz Ali as Blade. He's a phenomenal actor. He first came to my attention in House of Cards and I've been following him ever since. He was my sleeper pick to play Victor Von Doom in the next FF remake. (Hey, if Michael B. Jordan can be Johnny, why not?) Wishing for the best, but hoping to be blown away, like I usually am when Mr. Ali takes the stage.

Wow, I go out for a few hours and they announce a new Blade.

OMG!

I'm not worried about his performance, but the fight choreography better be on point and spare no expense with the special effects.

I am just stunned right now.
    The J-man

The J-man

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wasn't a little worried about Mahershalalhashbaz Ali as Blade. He's a phenomenal actor. He first came to my attention in House of Cards and I've been following him ever since. He was my sleeper pick to play Victor Von Doom in the next FF remake. (Hey, if Michael B. Jordan can be Johnny, why not?) Wishing for the best, but hoping to be blown away, like I usually am when Mr. Ali takes the stage.
    Brah. A lot of things get said around here that I disagree with... but DOOM? That would be FIRE!!! *quiet applause*

I'm not active posting but I read this thread everyday, and while I still feel like Wesley did so much for that character and that aesthetic that its hard to me that they didn't go with him,
    but I guess when the Hollywood types say "you'll never work in this town again" they mean it.

Still... if not Wesley Snipes, and if I'm completely honest. Mahershala Alis is probably the best possible casting, and I wish him the absolute BEST script possible.

------- All being said, this is great news.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Congrats to everyone in the Blade Appreciation board for getting a Blade Movie in the MCU.

Mighty Member

I think acting is the biggest plus. I know we're used to Blade doing his own stunts, but look at how well captain America made use of stunt doubles and gave us some of the best action sequences in recent memory. I'm not worried about that aspect at all.