Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default So Civil War might as well not even happened.

Sure storylines fade away over time but this one seems to have happened quick and complete.

Tony and Steve are pals again.

Clor is MIA

Avengers Academy is gone and nothing has taken its place.

Young héros are operating without supervision or oversight of any kind.

A team is doing the reality tv show thing again.

Off course OMD happened early on.

Other than Bill Foster being dead and the recent CW being referenced as the 2nd war are there any lingering repercussions?

I suppose some of the 50 teams (did it ever get to 50) might still exist but they are a non factor.

Was it all for nothing?

The story is over, it does need to be referenced that often or still have direct repercussions 10+ years later. It still exists, it's still important, but the relevant threads it began ended with Siege. Even still, its existence was central to the themes of Secret Empire and it directly cites CW for emotional moments. It will always be a big part of many characters' histories to be referenced later. In-universe stuff like its treatment of young heroes will always be a lingering shadow over the different approach of modern young heroes like Champions.

And it's still one of the best Iron Man stories, free.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Avengers Academy is gone and nothing has taken its place.
    While it isn't really a replacement for the Academy, Da Vinci is training Academy graduates and Champions members to replace SHIELD. He ended up losing Cable but so far he has: Ironheart, Cloud 9, Reptil, Spider-Man, Striker, and Trauma.

Also, speaking of Avengers Academy while not exactly on-topic, does anyone think we might be getting a mini Pymtron/Ultron event with the foreshadowing in Champions, Finesse being reintroduced in Unstoppable Wasp, and Jeremy Whitley co-writing that issue of Iron Man?

Unfortunately, that Da Vinci thing was a Bendis storyline and has been abandoned. It would've more than likely been the next arc in both Spider-Man and Iron Man (Tony Stark, Arno Stark, Toni Ho, and Madison Jeffries were involved too, the latter three operating with Riri as the Armor Squad), had he not left to take over Superman. Eve Ewing, Jim Zub, and Saladin Ahmed (writers of Ironheart, Champions, and Miles Morales Spider-Man) all have no plans to follow it up (Arno has already gone off to do his own thing).

With Sparky taken over by Ultron, and Nadia getting hints that her father is still alive, it does sound like Zub and Whitley have something planned.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-31-2018 at 02:40 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's marvel comics. A huge universe with hundreds and hundreds of new issues each year. Almost that many writers involved, tons of editors, assistant editors and even more people working on the publishing line.

This is how things are, it's not new

I think the most lasting legacy of Civil War might be that it helped elevated Captain American and Iron Man into the two most narratively important characters at marvel.

We sort of take it for granted now in large part due to the MCU movies, but back then I don't think that was the case. Bendis was slowly transforming the Avengers into marvels premier franchise, but I don't think it was until Civil War where Steve and Tony really took front and center in the WHOLE MU (rather than just the Avengers), and they in large part haven''t really left that position.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the most lasting legacy of Civil War might be that it helped elevated Captain American and Iron Man into the two most narratively important characters at marvel.

We sort of take it for granted now in large part due to the MCU movies, but back then I don't think that was the case. Bendis was slowly transforming the Avengers into marvels premier franchise, but I don't think it was until Civil War where Steve and Tony really took front and center in the WHOLE MU (rather than just the Avengers), and they in large part haven''t really left that position.
    Yes. CW really transformed the standing of Cap and Tony in the MU. We tend to take it for granted now and forget that it wasn't always like this but CW absolutely changed the game for those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It's marvel comics. A huge universe with hundreds and hundreds of new issues each year. Almost that many writers involved, tons of editors, assistant editors and even more people working on the publishing line.

This is how things are, it's not new
    And this is also true. Given the vast amount of new material that is added to the MU on a weekly, monthly, and yearly basis, you can't say because the events of a storyline a decade or so ago isn't front and center still that it might as well have never happened in the first place. It had its impact, it left a mark, but the MU is always moving forward.

Ultimate Member

Such is the fate of applying anything long lasting to the MU. All writers want their character to be the one to buck the system, and eventually people stop caring.

iMan 42s

Well the comic is over a decade old so that's just the nature of the beast. Sometimes things stick around, but more often than not, things change with hundreds of comics being released in the following years.

-Iron man and Captain America being very awkward around each other during moral dilemmas considering Steve "died" and Tony beat the **** out of his friend.
    -The Iron Spider armor is out in the world meaning that people have access to a Stark weaponized version of Spider-man's powers (Aaron Davis)
    -OMD as a result of Peter's unmasking has yet to be resolved nor has anybody dethroned it as the single worst modern Spider-man story.
    -Bill Foster is still dead
    -The Superhero registration act was indeed status quo up into the Heroic Age.
    -Results of Civil War like Norman Osborn rising to power resulted in the Iron Patriot identity being created which caused an international incident and a third Iron Patriot after James Rhodes and Norman Osborn.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

So Civil War might as well not even happened.
    And good riddance to it.

Civil War was a horrible storyline that didn't fit the character it focused on or the world that it was supposed to take place in. Even if it had, it was still horribly told.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Civil War happened 14 years ago and ushered in a half decade of other stories - Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and Siege being the most obvious. By comics nature, these stories come and go and are cyclical. Mockingbird coming back is a consequence of Secret Invasion, so that's one thing. I'm sure if I thought some more, I'd think of others but the point remains that all of these stories built off Civil War.

I mean, compared to something like Fear Itself, Civil War had one of the biggest long-term impacts even if the impact wasn't permanent.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Civil War was a horrible storyline that nearly did to Tony was other storylines did to Pym and Cyclops if the movies hadn't saved him. Only good things can come of it being forgotten.

This is an industry where many characters don't age and things are constantly rebooted.

It would have been interesting if those stories still carried weight. In a realistic setting that would paint Ironman's, Carol's and Reed Richards interactions with other heroes going forwa
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    This is an industry where many characters don't age and things are constantly rebooted.

It would have been interesting if those stories still carried weight. In a realistic setting that would paint Ironman's, Carol's and Reed Richards interactions with other heroes going forwa
    At least with Iron Man, they spent a good deal of time showing characters reactions to Starks actions. Eventually everyone forgave him for the MOST part, but a lot of panel time was dedicated to milking that drama.

Reed basically got a free pass. His "punishment" was going on an alien beach vacation with his wife. And Carol switched sides and began hanging out with the people she was hunting like 2 seconds after Secret Invasion ended. Even Stature, who jumped ship then immediately jumped right back felt like nothing happened.

I wish more characters dealt with the fall out the way Stark did, because there was perfectly good drama to milk from it.

this is why I said that Cap was an idiot for opposing registration. It wasn't sustainable. Tony made
    the smart play attempting to embrace and implement SHRA. The superhero community needed to be reigned in; mostly the non-sanctioned vigilante set. The young people with power needed training. By embracing the Act, Stark was able to do both with government resources. And, in the end, they were still able to act outside of the law. The Act was an olive branch to an understandably angry and fearful public. Captain America gave the middle finger to the people he claims to represent by opposing it.