Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Guys, just a piece of advice, don't ever try watching Twin Peaks the return, you would hate it and ask for a change of director.

Anyway, you should be relieved, since King has already announced 105 would be his last issue, at least you know when a new writer will come.
    This is nothing like Twin Peaks, that's actually good. :P Just because something is experimental doesn't mean the experiment was successful.

Incredible Member

It also leaves us with 43 more issues of this bullshit.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    It also leaves us with 43 more issues of this bullshit.
    With 30 issues being filler...
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

How to sum up my feelings about this issue ?

One one hand, I need to reread it to better try to understand all of it, which could be a good point for it.

On the other hand, I don't want to reread it, I really don't. Which is a bad thing.

And a summarize of the whole of King's run, now that I think about it. Which is a shame, since he had a chance to redefine the Bat at issue 50 and counting and chose the easy way out.

Amazing Member

I don't know how people can enjoy Morrison's corny weird stuff and even King's earlier boring stuff (I am Gotham, I am Bane) but not appreciate when King tries to be out-there and psychedelic as well. I agree with @babybats that his comics suffer from decompression but that's a common issue among a lot of comics (I'm looking at you, Doomsday Clock). A lot of it has to do with it being double-shipped too; I don't think King can keep up the pace every two weeks. That said, I enjoy getting a new Batman book every other week considering how mostly consistent the art has been. If you try looking past the artsy-fartsy like babybats said King has a lot to say about Batman, some of which is actually intriguing. I used to miss the more bombastic Snyder stuff but I've gotten used to King's bottle issues and interconnectivity, you just have to read it differently.
    Last edited by TheJudge95; 01-10-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Well ...

Here is my review of this issue, following King's style:

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well ...

Here is my review of this issue, following King's style:

Should've gone with a porcelain pig ^^

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    I don't know how people can enjoy Morrison's corny weird stuff and even King's earlier boring stuff (I am Gotham, I am Bane) but not appreciate when King tries to be out-there and psychedelic as well. I agree with @babybats that his comics suffer from decompression but that's a common issue among a lot of comics (I'm looking at you, Doomsday Clock). A lot of it has to do with it being double-shipped too; I don't think King can keep up the pace every two weeks. That said, I enjoy getting a new Batman book every other week considering how mostly consistent the art has been. If you try looking past the artsy-fartsy like babybats said King has a lot to say about Batman, some of which is actually intriguing. I used to miss the more bombastic Snyder stuff but I've gotten used to King's bottle issues and interconnectivity, you just have to read it differently.
    Maybe because he is tRYING to be out-there and psychedelic rather than being himself. He is trying to be Grant Morrison Psychedelic Scottish writer when he is Tom King sober American writer.

Or maybe King isn't corny and weird enough.

Or maybe he isn't that good.

Or maybe individual taste's vary.

Personally I can never understand how some can complain about other peoples taste or feel the need to put down something to raise what they like up.
    Last edited by dietrich; 01-10-2019 at 11:38 AM.

I think he just trying to be different. Personally I don’t hate it. This issue went over my head, but that’s ok too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    The only thing in 62 issues that King seems to have to say about Batman is that he's a manic depressive who makes everything around him worse. If that's all he has to say then he should have been able to do it in about 61 fewer issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Should've gone with a porcelain pig ^^
    The hippo is named Pygmalion.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Guys, just a piece of advice, don't ever try watching Twin Peaks the return, you would hate it and ask for a change of director.

Anyway, you should be relieved, since King has already announced 105 would be his last issue, at least you know when a new writer will come.
    And at this point, it can’t come soon enough. Cape **** doesn’t deserve this dude’s talent.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    And at this point, it can’t come soon enough. Cape **** doesn’t deserve this dude’s talent.
    Neither do cape fans. If King is stuck with hammering characters he's unfamiliar with into disjointed, clunky stories that he wants to tell, then he probably is in the wrong medium.

I think King is really underrated for his humour writing. Whether its light hearted or pitch black, he absolutely nails it.

It's why on one hand, I'm glad he's not doing too much Joker, since Snyder's already kind of overusing him, but his portrayal in War Of Jokes And Riddles and especially The Best Man is one of the best I've seen of the character, I'm always laughing really hard at his jokes, and then feel bad when I see him do something disturbing.

And so many of the other issues are filled with these various forms of humour that get me all the time, his opening to I Am Bane is what made me wanna start reading his run. Even stuff like Vision and Mister Miracle I think succeed not just because of the darkness, but all the lightheartedness sprinkled in to juxtapose it.

I feel like because this issue by itself is pure pitch black, it stands out as being more off than usual, not to mention the decompression. Like with a couple other of the issues in his run, I'm pretty sure this will play out much better in trades/once we get the bigger picture, but as of right now, I do wish we got at least a little more to the themes other than stuff we already know.
    Last edited by Inversed; 01-10-2019 at 08:11 PM.

The more I think about this issue, the more I like it. It may be one of my favourite issues in the whole run so far.