Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Now, should the DCEU operate a partial/semi reboot of its continuity now?

I'm curious to know your opinion.

Batman is gonna be rebooted for sure. Reeves' "The Batman" is the new chapter.
    Joker has already been rebooted. Fact.
    Wonder Woman 1984 will apparently introduce some "retcons" to the backstory provided in BVS.

So? I say:

Do a semi-reboot.

Discard from the continuity:

1- Batman v Superman (even if I love it)
    2- Justice League (horrid and terrible)
    3- Suicide Squad (fun overall)

...and work on this new continuity:

1- Man of Steel (2013)
    2- Wonder Woman (2017)
    3- Aquaman (2018)
    4- The Batman (2020?)
    5- Joker (2019)
    6- Shazam! (2019)
    7- Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)
    7- Birds of Prey (2020)

They can do a brand-new, rebooted Justice League movie in the aftermath.

What's your say?

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

I kinda feel WB will do a pick and choose unless they get to a point where they'll have Batfleck face the new Joker and make like SSJoker never happened.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

I think Aquaman contradicting Justice League when it come to Atlanna is an early sign that continuity won’t be a big priority. I now think Steve Trevor has a pretty good chance making it through WW84 alive. I don’t think they will toss shared canon out the window entirely. But I expect some retcons and contradictions. We know nothing about The Batman movie or Gunn’s SS, but even though they will likely be officially canon, I doubt maintaining consistency with panned movies like BvS and the first SS movie will be much of a priority.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I just think it will be too messy to do.

I do agree with the thought that all the big solo movies moving forward will be fairly standalone and with only soft or tangential continuity connecting them.

Astonishing Member

I really think the DCEU would benefit from a Flashpoint movie. It'll be a great way to retcon the stuff they want to get rid of/change, it will be the Flash movie they've been wanting to do for a while, its a great story in and of itself AND it prominently features Aquaman and Wonder Woman, the two current 'stars' of the DCEU!

As far as continuity goes, they can still keep the previous movies as a kind of 'vague backstory' for the new versions of the characters. They don't really need to reference them or follow on old plot threads, beyond the odd mention when relevant. That way they can still claim they haven't really done a hard reboot and continue to market those films as part of the universe without letting them have an impact. Kinda like what the MCU has done with The Incredible Hulk. They've recast Bruce Banner and tend not to explicitly reference that movies events or follow any of its plot-lines beyond vague stuff like 'the Hulk once went on a rampage in New York' and of course General Ross showing up later.

So for instance, they can go with the idea that at one point, some heroes got together to fight Steppenwolf but it wasn't the official 'origin' of the Justice League or anything like that. Likewise, Superman and Batman know each other and have become trusted allies, and Superman died and came back to life. Also, Kryptonians once invaded the earth. There's no need to get more explicit than that in future movies. And any contradictions that come about could be explained by Flashpoint. Or by this rumored Supergirl movie which might involve time-travel if Kara is indeed going to be showing up in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I think Aquaman contradicting Justice League when it come to Atlanna is an early sign that continuity won’t be a big priority. I now think Steve Trevor has a pretty good chance making it through WW84 alive. I don’t think they will toss shared canon out the window entirely. But I expect some retcons and contradictions. We know nothing about The Batman movie or Gunn’s SS, but even though they will likely be officially canon, I doubt maintaining consistency with panned movies like BvS and the first SS movie will be much of a priority.
    The movie makes a direct reference to Justice League though.

The MCU has tons of incongruities that don't make sense or have to be head cannoned away. People just ignore the fact that the cabal of SHIELD tried to nuke New York City in Avengers 1 and that Captain America decides to join this organization afterwards.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The Joker is an AU movie, nothing to do with the DCEU and more and more becoming apparent little to do with the comics either. Its just an artsy crime flick.

As for Aquaman no its not a reboot, they mention JL and the area where Aquaman gets his trident and the Motherbox was confirmed by both Wan and Snyder to be an Atlantean outpost.

No offense but I feel like the people suggesting Flashpoint are completely tone deaf. You want to adapt a story that casts WW and Aquaman, the two biggest success stories, as psychotic villains and sucks off a murderous Batman (which people hated), Cyborg (which would be fine for me but the GA doesn’t care about him at all), and Flash (whom GA is pretty meh towards)? That’s the dumbest idea ever. Snyder’s plans have been tossed in the toilet where they belong and the DCEU is moving forward by ignoring them whenever they want to. WW isn’t going into hiding anymore. Reeves will reboot Batman. Supes will probably be rebooted too, which is fine he needs it.

There was no big event movie to justify Ruffalo replacing Norton as Hulk. No one will care that someone new is Supes/Bats is the movie is good.