Default X-Men Masterworks Vol. 7 & 8

I had no idea until this week that when X-Men effectively ended with #66, the adventures of the original team actually continued in various other titles.

These stories have been published in X-Men Masterworks Vol. 7 & 8.

Vol. 7 collects Amazing Adventures #11-17, Incredible Hulk #150 and 161, Amazing Spider-Man #92, Marvel Team-Up (1972) #4.

Vol. 8 collects Avengers (1963) #110-111, Incredible Hulk #172, 180 & 181, Captain America #172-175, Marvel Team-Up #23 & 38, Defenders #15-16 and Giant-Size Fantastic Four #4.

Has anyone bought these? I would be interested to hear your opinion before deciding whether to shell out.

xmenvol7.jpg xmenvol8.jpg
    Last edited by Tugger; 01-09-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Extraordinary Member

There will be an Epic Collection later this year with the same material: the covers to the reprint issues + the adventures of the X-Men characters while their book was in reprints.

Most of the material is just guest appearances and cameo appearances in other books - it's not really a continuation of their adventures, just them showing up in other people's adventures, plus Magneto showing up to threaten the Avengers and Defenders. The only really substantial content is Beast's series in Amazing Adventures, which is where he turned into his Beast form and meets a new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. It's enjoyable and sets up some things that Steve Englehart would continue when he moved Beast over to the Avengers.

For the price of an Epic collection it's probably worth it. For the price of two hardcovers, probably not. It's a tour through what Marvel was like in the early '70s but except for Beast becoming a beast/joining the Avengers and Magneto turning into a baby, nothing happens that affects the rebooted series.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    There will be an Epic Collection later this year with the same material: the covers to the reprint issues + the adventures of the X-Men characters while their book was in reprints.

Most of the material is just guest appearances and cameo appearances in other books - it's not really a continuation of their adventures, just them showing up in other people's adventures, plus Magneto showing up to threaten the Avengers and Defenders. The only really substantial content is Beast's series in Amazing Adventures, which is where he turned into his Beast form and meets a new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. It's enjoyable and sets up some things that Steve Englehart would continue when he moved Beast over to the Avengers.

For the price of an Epic collection it's probably worth it. For the price of two hardcovers, probably not. It's a tour through what Marvel was like in the early '70s but except for Beast becoming a beast/joining the Avengers and Magneto turning into a baby, nothing happens that affects the rebooted series.
    Thanks very much for the info . The link also told me about other collections I didn't know about.

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Yeah, fun stories but don't go in expecting the X-Men to be anything more than guest stars. There was a neat trend of them operating in civilian clothes in a few of those issues. Thought that was neat.

The Amazing Adventures Beast stories are actually pretty great though and I recommend them.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood