Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider Appreciation 2019

SPIDER-GWEN: GHOST-SPIDER APPRECIATION 2019!

Welcome fans of Gwen all of universes! I know the last thread was meant for all Gwens and I want this thread to be for that as well. But I felt like the name of the thread should be directed towards Spider-Gwen, I hope this doesn't upset anybody. I've never really made an Appreciation Thread before, so I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to put on this top post. Right now I'm just gonna put the two main runs of Spider-Gwen, plus whatever crossovers she's appeared in that I can think of and if anyone wants to suggest anything else from 616 Gwen I'll be more than happy to put it here.

LIST OF SPIDER-GWEN RUNS:
    SPIDER-GWEN by Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez
    SPIDER-GWEN: GHOST-SPIDER by Seanan McGuire and Rosi Kampe

EVENTS INVOLVING SPIDER-GWEN:
    SPIDER-VERSE by Dan Slott and Olivier Coipel
    CLONE CONSPIRACY by Dan Slott and Jim Cheung
    SPIDER-GEDDON by Christos Gage and Jorge Molina

to be continued with any suggestions
    Last edited by VGCinema; 01-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Good issue today.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Good issue today.
    Agreed. I thought it was a lot better than the last three issues. Specifically in the art department. I was a little worried at first but if we keep getting stories like this I'm going to be really happy.

I definitely think, as things are now for the character of Gwen Stacy, this thread's title feels a little more accurate.

BANNED

I don't feel like the relaunch has gotten off to the good start, especially compared to how well handled Miles is with Ahmed. There's too much dependency on the Spidergeddon event. The opening story dealt with alternate doubles of the established alternate doubles...this must be pretty confusing to some new readers, and this epilogue issue expects readers to be aware of who Mayday is of all people when she's as niche as it gets and didn't even play that big a role in the event outside of a tie-in with Annie and Anya rather than Gwen. Indeed this is the only interaction Gwen has had with Mayday since Web Warriors wrapped.

Fantastic Member

I do like the alternate costumes Gwen had:

It's kinda pointless, though. I mean I get shifting into a different civilian guise like in the last pic, but what was the point of the first two? She attracts attention regardless with a costume. Did the artist just wanna try drawing new stuff and add to the list of Spider-Gwen cosplays?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't feel like the relaunch has gotten off to the good start, especially compared to how well handled Miles is with Ahmed. There's too much dependency on the Spidergeddon event. The opening story dealt with alternate doubles of the established alternate doubles...this must be pretty confusing to some new readers, and this epilogue issue expects readers to be aware of who Mayday is of all people when she's as niche as it gets and didn't even play that big a role in the event outside of a tie-in with Annie and Anya rather than Gwen. Indeed this is the only interaction Gwen has had with Mayday since Web Warriors wrapped.
    Annie was mentioned as well. You're definitely expected to have read the main Spider-Geddon event. Also, it's before the end of Spider-Geddon #5, so she's still not Ghost-Spider yet! Perhaps the first four issues should've just been a mini-series called just Spider-Gwen, with the Ghost-Spider title launching next month?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Annie was mentioned as well. You're definitely expected to have read the main Spider-Geddon event. Also, it's before the end of Spider-Geddon #5, so she's still not Ghost-Spider yet! Perhaps the first four issues should've just been a mini-series called just Spider-Gwen, with the Ghost-Spider title launching next month?
    Ah right, I was getting most confused. Gwen's hair is longer in the opening panels than it is in most of the issue, likely the scenes where she talks to Billy's ghost and departs the building are just bookends and everything in between is flashbacks. That would explain why Mayday hadn't reacted to her father's resurrection yet (assuming Peter went straight back to his family), she hasn't been home
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Noir Aunt May was really mean in the issue. I mean, I understand her point, but even if his Peter was a little "broken", he was a truly a hero who died protecting the multiverse.

Also, I don't think the dead spiders are gone for good. Remember, the Master Weaver turned out to be an older Karn, that means he has to be alive somehow, so he can get old at the proper time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Ah right, I was getting most confused. Gwen's hair is longer in the opening panels than it is in most of the issue, likely the scenes where she talks to Billy's ghost and departs the building are just bookends and everything in between is flashbacks. That would explain why Mayday hadn't reacted to her father's resurrection yet (assuming Peter went straight back to his family), she hasn't been home
    That longer hair could just be because those scenes were by a different artist (whose style I recognise, as it's one of Ms Marvel's artists). She was referred to as Spider-Woman in a caption, so you may be right, though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post

It's kinda pointless, though. I mean I get shifting into a different civilian guise like in the last pic, but what was the point of the first two? She attracts attention regardless with a costume. Did the artist just wanna try drawing new stuff and add to the list of Spider-Gwen cosplays?
    I swear I laughed when I saw the Noir costume. It seriously looked like she was wearing a chicken head from that angle.

For those interested. Chapter Thirteen of my What If Gwen Stacy Never Died? story is posted. Unlucky thirteen brings the wrath of the Executioner Spider-Slayer down on our duo! -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1276833...wined-Destines

If so inclined, enjoy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post

I remember how in one Venom series issues named: 'Venom Space Knight #2' on 616 it was said that the good Symbiotes/Klyntars had a connection to the Universe's/cosmo's essence. Able to hear it's voice.
    So while it was made by science on Earth-65 it might be possible for this writer to come up with a way that it too can also be connected to the vibes of the Multiverse's Gwen visits that the symbiote she has ''feels' it. Following that 'ghost' part of the title and powers possible a spiritual connection can be established.
    The world and suits Gwen based on the World she visits? Gwen tries to have her symbiote to form her Spider costume but the symbiote 'feels' the Earth she is on and subconsciously makes her a costume based on that but still to her own essence as well. Than also make civilian outfits but once more the symbiote will try to fit it based on her needs/wants and the environment it feels.

Also I really enjoyed this issue very much. I wasn't sure what 'responsibilities' from her 'new powers' the advertisement wrote was going to be but this makes a lot of sense and heavy responsibility to bear. Outside of some big names we rarely get to see funerals or love one's told about the death of loved one's if they were not a AAA character shown normally. So this makes alot of sense. That in war there were people who had to tell the unfortunate news to departed loved ones. With Gwen being the only one capple to travel easily and bring others she had to carry this role and responsibility of transporting the bodies and telling the loved one's the secret and that they are gone.

Now also with Gwen being the one transporter I wouldn't be shock in another type of future Spider-Verse event/issues crossover or not we discover that 'Gwen Stacy(s)' is the 'Ferrywoman' (like Annie how is now the 'Patternmaker'). In link to the Ferryman Charon in myth that transported the depart from one realm to another plus linked to death (Death and her are linked and loves her she feels). That it's her role to be the transporter and also the grim responsibilities bearer for the departed.

Also after the bad way they left each other after Clone Conspiracy events it was great for 616 Peter and 65 Gwen to talk and show that they care for each other. Recalling and acting on the promise they made to each other from the first Spider-Verse event.
    Last edited by AngelJD; 01-10-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Fantastic Member

I'm really looking forward to issue 5 so we can finally get some Earth-65 adventures. The summary notes things like MJ being a perfectionist or her dad wanting her to go to school, both of which I'm interested in. The latter especially is something I'm hoping the author tackles since, well, she's a public Superhero. Something tells me school life ain't exactly going to be simple. Ditto her band gigs since there's going to be a lot of people attending the concerts just cause they wanna see Spider-Gwen and don't give a crap about the actual music.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She was referred to as Spider-Woman in a caption, so you may be right, though.
    Just checked the caption on the issue. Yep, still Spider-Woman. There's also that reference "Billy" makes about Gwen being unable to sleep for three days, not sure if three days have passed since Spidergeddon or three days since the funerals. Can you grow your hair out that long in three days? Seems more like chronological confusion to me. I just find it easier to assume the long-haired Gwen gets up from playing the drums, acknowledges that it's time to "move on" from Billy, heads up, picks up her drumsticks, and resumes her patrol, rather than her going to the funerals of Karn and Billy and then returning just to pick up her drumsticks. That just feels a bit messy.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-11-2019 at 02:10 AM.