Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The art's attrocious and it doesn't feel like Gwen's jailbird experiences have changed her all that much...also the Spidergeddon tie-ins are hardly the most accessible way of starting a new run. If you want a relaunch done right read Miles' book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The art's attrocious and it doesn't feel like Gwen's jailbird experiences have changed her all that much...also the Spidergeddon tie-ins are hardly the most accessible way of starting a new run. If you want a relaunch done right read Miles' book.
    Read them today, impressive.

Fantastic Member

We're getting a new artist from issue 5 onwards. Point on Gwen's jailbird thing not being acknowledged, though. At the end of Spider-Gwen she makes a vow to want to save people and be less fight-happy in general - her dad even makes a point to tell her that the sirens they heard were fire trucks and not police, reinforcing that she wants to be a rescuer rather than a vigilante. She seems to have forgotten all about that by Ghost Spider since she's back at it and the first thing we see her do is beat up some muggers.

Yeah, vigilantism is what landed her in the slammer. It does seem that the writer change caused her to forget the lesson.

And that's another lesson not learned, considering Hopeless's Spider-Woman started as a Spider-Verse tie-in.

Also, they shouldn't have called the book Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider if she's not going to be called that. Should've just been Spider-Gwen volume 3.

In my opinion, that cover is on the wrong comic. It's for Symbiote Spider-Man #1, but Spider-Man Life Story #2 would've been far more appropriate.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-27-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think the problem with the relaunch was having to follow up on Latour and Rodriguez who injected so much of themselves and their style to the book and ended the series with a strong sense of finality, on-top of needing to reformat the book into a more "back-to-basics" Superhero title to keep the character in an ongoing capacity.

Agreed, they did a great job.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

This is why I like the Hero for Hire angle. It clamps down on the random vigilantism, gets her paid and, most importantly, it gives her someone else to point to when police ask her why she did what she did. If someone asked for a rescue then they can't exactly say Gwen alone was taking the law into her own hands. That and she could probably take advantage of Good Samaritan laws now that she's unmasked.

Let's just hope it doesn't get abused like a jilted ex lying to have Gwen beat up their bf/gf. Jessica Jones featured this: ever since Jessica was outed as a Gifted who killed Killgrave suddenly 95% of her clients want her to just do hero work for exaggerated problems. Just look at this opening scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHVWnlwKDY

The woman immediately assumes that just cause Jessica's a Gifted she's willing to be a thug and murderer for hire. Gwen could face the same issue.

I'm sure Gwen will stick to cases involving superpowered individuals, lol. With great power comes great responsibility. She's not about to beat up a non-powered target. So if someone wanted her to batter the ex, she'd turn it down.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm sure Gwen will stick to cases involving superpowered individuals, lol. With great power comes great responsibility. She's not about to beat up a non-powered target. So if someone wanted her to batter the ex, she'd turn it down.
    Sure, but again, a person could just lie and say they were threatened by someone to try and make themselves the victim. I really hope she didn't just put up a website like Kim Possible cause that's gonna be spammed to all hell by drama queens and attention seekers.

Also, aren't superpowered individuals rare in Earth-65? Matt wouldn't have fixated so hard on Gwen if he could just look up powered people on Google.

I moved some posts about a classic Gwen cover and the Marvel EIC's cryptic comment about it to another thread.

If anyone wants to start an appreciation thread for the original Gwen Stacy, they're encouraged to do so.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

I gotta say, as much as the story dragged to an absurd point cause of him, Matt Murderdock is still one of the best things about Spider-Gwen:

I'm really wondering how the new author will be able to top him.

MARVEL Spider-Gwen 2.jpg

Not sure where I found it, but one of my favorite pictures of Gwen.

Appreciation thread felt a little weak on the fan art, had to step in.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    I gotta say, as much as the story dragged to an absurd point cause of him, Matt Murderdock is still one of the best things about Spider-Gwen..
    Indeed he is. He is a great inverse of a classic character. Evil 65 Matt rules.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I agree with eratas123 and Celgress, Matt Murderdock was a highlight in the Spider-Gwen series. He and Spider-Gwen.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

For real. Launching it with a tie-in arc definitely left my head scratching. Like, if anything, they should've just made it a mini series and then launched Gwen's book out of it.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.