Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 645
  1. #511
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,661

    Default

    I think both Peter and Miles don't exist in the Rising cartoon universe.

    And yeah, that was definitely Melissa Gold. Looks like they incorporated elements of her Songbird design (the longer hair and the wings).

  2. #512
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think both Peter and Miles don't exist in the Rising cartoon universe.
    Squirrel Girl referenced a "dude dressed like a spider" in the Ironheart special.

    I mean, not that it's necessarily out there for a girl to refer to another girl as "dude" but it sounded like she was talking about a guy.

    Although it would probably make more sense if Spider-Man doesn't exist in the Marvel Rising universe (even though all the other major heroes do).

    Maybe Peter gave Gwen her tech .

  3. #513
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,661

    Default

    Yeah, I worded that badly - I meant that neither of them were Spider-Man. Though the fact they replaced Peter in Gwen's origin with an Inhuman version of Iceman speaks volumes.

    Doreen could have been talking about the villain Tarantula.

  4. #514
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I worded that badly - I meant that neither of them were Spider-Man. Though the fact they replaced Peter in Gwen's origin with an Inhuman version of Iceman speaks volumes.

    Doreen could have been talking about the villain Tarantula.
    The context of the line was regarding a hero rescuing someone. I doubt it's Tarantula.

  5. #515
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Just watched Marvel Rising: Battle of the Bands:

    spoilers:

    So the main villain is Songbird who causes millions of dollars in property damage and god knows many deaths and injuries...to cut off access to Gwen's concert. More specifically, she's cutting off roads so other bands couldn't get to the battle of the bands venue. This...is so fucking petty that it loops around to being hilarious. I mean I get that we can't exactly go too deep considering the target audience but come on,

    Also, random ass pop/rock music during the action scenes. I'm guessing it's from the same people who made the Face it Tiger song but the sheer amount of times they play it just becomes annoying. In the last special with Gwen they played Face it Tiger during her last fight with Sheath, which was appropriate. Here it happens every time something mildly exciting happens.

    Speaking of which, that fight scene was just...off. So we have villain whose power is 'I can scream real loud' going up against the entire Secret Warriors sans Quake and Lockjaw. You're telling me they aren't able to stop her immediately? If the writers wanted a protracted fight they should've found some way to make it a full on one-on-one with Songbird vs Ghost Spider like they did at the end cause at is now you just wonder why the hell America or Ironheart didn't turn this into a complete joke right off the bat. Something tells me these two wouldn't be beaten by a smug, sociopathic rocker.

    Still, the best part comes with the ending where Gwen actually willingly reveals her identity to the rest of the band. Rather nonsensically Glory goes 'I knew it'. So you knew it? Was that why you told Gwen that Ghost Spider murdered her best friend and that she was a no good criminal when Gwen was grieving? Funny way of showing you got there >_> At least MJ has the proper response of it not making any sense. But hey, at least Gwen confesses to be the SW and her band about her struggles with balancing her life and both groups agree to help her. This is something many Spider people desperately need.

    On a side note, so I guess Gwen's the lead singer now? In the battle of the bands she's the one doing the main vocals while MJ stays completely silent and just plays guitar. I know it's because of her V.A but it still feels odd, especially since the band is still the called the MJ's.
    end of spoilers

  6. #516
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Here's the special:



    Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Just watched Marvel Rising: Battle of the Bands:

    spoilers:

    So the main villain is Songbird who causes millions of dollars in property damage and god knows many deaths and injuries...to cut off access to Gwen's concert. More specifically, she's cutting off roads so other bands couldn't get to the battle of the bands venue. This...is so fucking petty that it loops around to being hilarious. I mean I get that we can't exactly go too deep considering the target audience but come on,

    Also, random ass pop/rock music during the action scenes. I'm guessing it's from the same people who made the Face it Tiger song but the sheer amount of times they play it just becomes annoying. In the last special with Gwen they played Face it Tiger during her last fight with Sheath, which was appropriate. Here it happens every time something mildly exciting happens.

    Speaking of which, that fight scene was just...off. So we have villain whose power is 'I can scream real loud' going up against the entire Secret Warriors sans Quake and Lockjaw. You're telling me they aren't able to stop her immediately? If the writers wanted a protracted fight they should've found some way to make it a full on one-on-one with Songbird vs Ghost Spider like they did at the end cause at is now you just wonder why the hell America or Ironheart didn't turn this into a complete joke right off the bat. Something tells me these two wouldn't be beaten by a smug, sociopathic rocker.

    Still, the best part comes with the ending where Gwen actually willingly reveals her identity to the rest of the band. Rather nonsensically Glory goes 'I knew it'. So you knew it? Was that why you told Gwen that Ghost Spider murdered her best friend and that she was a no good criminal when Gwen was grieving? Funny way of showing you got there >_> At least MJ has the proper response of it not making any sense. But hey, at least Gwen confesses to be the SW and her band about her struggles with balancing her life and both groups agree to help her. This is something many Spider people desperately need.

    On a side note, so I guess Gwen's the lead singer now? In the battle of the bands she's the one doing the main vocals while MJ stays completely silent and just plays guitar. I know it's because of her V.A but it still feels odd, especially since the band is still the called the MJ's.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    To be fair, it's not Songbird, it's Screaming Mimi and Melissa was never known to make wise life choices in that identity. Although they gave her Songbird's powerset while never actually explaining how a young girl in a struggling indie band was able to afford such a high tech sonic charapace. But I guess like Gwen they don't expect us to care where these people get their technology that they do their Superhero/Supervillain stuff in.

    Also - the Thunderbolts as a rock band was so weird. They should've called them the Grapplers.

    I do agree the insert songs are starting to get a little repetitive with as much as they are used.

    I also agree it was kind of unbelievable that Screaming Mimi, who is basically a rookie by Supervillain standards, was able to hold her own against the entire Secret Warriors. I mean, it was seven vs. one (eight if you count Tippy-Toe). I'm surprised she was able to get up after that one punch from Patriot unless the charapace booster her invulnerability.

    Also - did Gwen kick her in the breasts after that slingshot? It sure looked like it.

    A part of me feels like they took the easy way out of just having Gwen reveal her identity, but I guess I can't blame her for doing it. But now her secret identity is basically irrelevant beyond her dad, who I wouldn't be surprised if he knows by this point. Oh, and there's no way Glory always knew.

    Is Betty ever getting any lines? It feels like an in-joke that she never speaks in any of her appearances in the cartoons now.

    I find it hilarious that Tara Strong, a talented singer in her own right, is not allowed to actually sing any songs on this show as either one of her characters. And they're the leads of both of their bands. But I do kinda hate that MJ gets reduced to such a supporting character whenever she's in something with "Ghost Spider."
    end of spoilers

  7. #517
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    To be fair, it's not Songbird, it's Screaming Mimi and Melissa was never known to make wise life choices in that identity. Although they gave her Songbird's powerset while never actually explaining how a young girl in a struggling indie band was able to afford such a high tech sonic charapace. But I guess like Gwen they don't expect us to care where these people get their technology that they do their Superhero/Supervillain stuff in.

    Also - the Thunderbolts as a rock band was so weird. They should've called them the Grapplers.

    I do agree the insert songs are starting to get a little repetitive with as much as they are used.

    I also agree it was kind of unbelievable that Screaming Mimi, who is basically a rookie by Supervillain standards, was able to hold her own against the entire Secret Warriors. I mean, it was seven vs. one (eight if you count Tippy-Toe). I'm surprised she was able to get up after that one punch from Patriot unless the charapace booster her invulnerability.

    Also - did Gwen kick her in the breasts after that slingshot? It sure looked like it.

    A part of me feels like they took the easy way out of just having Gwen reveal her identity, but I guess I can't blame her for doing it. But now her secret identity is basically irrelevant beyond her dad, who I wouldn't be surprised if he knows by this point. Oh, and there's no way Glory always knew.

    Is Betty ever getting any lines? It feels like an in-joke that she never speaks in any of her appearances in the cartoons now.

    I find it hilarious that Tara Strong, a talented singer in her own right, is not allowed to actually sing any songs on this show as either one of her characters. And they're the leads of both of their bands. But I do kinda hate that MJ gets reduced to such a supporting character whenever she's in something with "Ghost Spider."
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

    With Gwen I always assumed she was smart and made the gadgets on her own. She showed off a drone in the Kevin flashback after all and has other gadgets like the webwings and trackers. I assume she has organic webshooters though since when she pulled her sleeves back there was only her friendship bracelet.

    Screaming Mimi being a threat is a complete joke. The Warriors have fought way worse than a screaming rocker chick and they’ve only gotten better with training and the addition of Ironheart.

    I like it. The ‘Im always late but Ill never explain’ plot gets frustrating after a while. At least here both the band and the SW can help her balance out her life. But yeah, her dad is the only one who doesn’t know.

    I’d settle for Betty even resembling who she’s supposed to be. Right now she looks like she’s drawn lower quality compared to her bandmates.

    Yeah, Tara Strong gets gypped here. Every time MJ appears in the specials the number of lines she has can be counted in one hand. I wonder why they bothered getting a well known VA for such a handful of lines. Oh well, at least Dove Cameron’s also a good singer.
    end of spoilers

  8. #518
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    spoilers:

    With Gwen I always assumed she was smart and made the gadgets on her own. She showed off a drone in the Kevin flashback after all and has other gadgets like the webwings and trackers. I assume she has organic webshooters though since when she pulled her sleeves back there was only her friendship bracelet.

    Screaming Mimi being a threat is a complete joke. The Warriors have fought way worse than a screaming rocker chick and they’ve only gotten better with training and the addition of Ironheart.

    I like it. The ‘Im always late but Ill never explain’ plot gets frustrating after a while. At least here both the band and the SW can help her balance out her life. But yeah, her dad is the only one who doesn’t know.

    I’d settle for Betty even resembling who she’s supposed to be. Right now she looks like she’s drawn lower quality compared to her bandmates.

    Yeah, Tara Strong gets gypped here. Every time MJ appears in the specials the number of lines she has can be counted in one hand. I wonder why they bothered getting a well known VA for such a handful of lines. Oh well, at least Dove Cameron’s also a good singer.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I forgot about that drone thing. But she never really seems like much of a techie or that tech savvy.

    I mean, Mimi can be a threat, but probably not to the extent where she can take on a full Superhero team. That's why she's usually either part of a group or in a pair. She's the kind of villain Spider-Man or Ghost Spider would have trouble with on their own, which you allude too.

    (It's not like Ironheart really did much other then use her suits to come up with impossible calculations on the fly).

    I guess it just depends what kind of story you want to tell. I take it this is probably going to put a cap in focus on Gwen's civilian life since it won't be an issue any more.

    Yeah, Betty is basically unrecognizable. You can tell which characters they put some effort in and which they didn't.

    I feel like Tara Strong is just there as a backup Mary Jane voice because they haven't cast her for Marvel's Spider-Man, and might not ever at the rate the show is going. She's not there to have a main role, she's just there to fill a slot. And it continues the trend of them completely wasting Tara Strong as Mary Jane, dating back to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
    end of spoilers

  9. #519

    Default

    I wouldn't mind if Sheath from the earlier episode pops up as a Ghost Spider rogue.

  10. #520
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    I forgot about that drone thing. But she never really seems like much of a techie or that tech savvy.

    I mean, Mimi can be a threat, but probably not to the extent where she can take on a full Superhero team. That's why she's usually either part of a group or in a pair. She's the kind of villain Spider-Man or Ghost Spider would have trouble with on their own, which you allude too.

    (It's not like Ironheart really did much other then use her suits to come up with impossible calculations on the fly).

    I guess it just depends what kind of story you want to tell. I take it this is probably going to put a cap in focus on Gwen's civilian life since it won't be an issue any more.

    Yeah, Betty is basically unrecognizable. You can tell which characters they put some effort in and which they didn't.

    I feel like Tara Strong is just there as a backup Mary Jane voice because they haven't cast her for Marvel's Spider-Man, and might not ever at the rate the show is going. She's not there to have a main role, she's just there to fill a slot. And it continues the trend of them completely wasting Tara Strong as Mary Jane, dating back to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
    end of spoilers
    To be fair appearances can be deceiving. Unless they use Wasp again I’m assuming that Gwen made those gadgets. Riri proves teen geniuses aren’t that rare.

    Yeah, this really should’ve been a solo fight. Have Gwen deal with Mimi while the rest of the team rescued civilians or something. Better than them being idiots and taking turns. Riri could’ve just ran in and blasted her if she reakky wanted.

    To be fair they didn’t exactly focus on Gwen civvie life before she confesses. If this is really Marvels attempt at DC Superhero girls they’re gonna want to focus on the hero bits constantly.

    I like Glory and MJ’s designs, though the former keeps changing hair. Also, at the very least this version of Mj is far less bitchy and egotistical. Though, she did still name the band after herself despite Gwen apparently being the lead singer. Guess ‘The Gwen Stacys’ just wasn’t catchy enough?

    I just wonder what the point is. I imagine she’s more expensive than a no-name VA and she doesn’t have enough lines to make ir seem worrh it. I guess she voices Screaming Mimi so its cool here. As for the Spidey cartoon, apparently Peter’s getting kicked out of Horizon back to Midtown so we’ll likely see MJ there. Dunno what she’ll do considering Gwen’s alreasy established and getting her powers back.

  11. #521
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    To be fair appearances can be deceiving. Unless they use Wasp again I’m assuming that Gwen made those gadgets. Riri proves teen geniuses aren’t that rare.
    I think Riri's supposed to be more the exception then the norm. It's not like we see her or Gwen swapping tech talk.
    Yeah, this really should’ve been a solo fight. Have Gwen deal with Mimi while the rest of the team rescued civilians or something. Better than them being idiots and taking turns. Riri could’ve just ran in and blasted her if she reakky wanted.
    That probably would've been more believable.
    To be fair they didn’t exactly focus on Gwen civvie life before she confesses. If this is really Marvels attempt at DC Superhero girls they’re gonna want to focus on the hero bits constantly.
    I think they focused on it enough to where we knew it was a significant part of her life, but yeah, I assume the Superheroics will be more present then the outside the costume stuff.
    I like Glory and MJ’s designs, though the former keeps changing hair. Also, at the very least this version of Mj is far less bitchy and egotistical. Though, she did still name the band after herself despite Gwen apparently being the lead singer. Guess ‘The Gwen Stacys’ just wasn’t catchy enough?
    MJ looks weird with short hair, even though I know they gave her a similar cut in the MTV cartoon, and her hair doesn't look as...red as it should, I guess?

    She doesn't seem to have the same attitude and prima donna personality of EmJay, but she also isn't as much of a character.

    I assume in normal settings she's lead vocals, it's just Dove Cameron sings most of this serie's major music so Gwen has to step up .
    I just wonder what the point is. I imagine she’s more expensive than a no-name VA and she doesn’t have enough lines to make ir seem worrh it. I guess she voices Screaming Mimi so its cool here. As for the Spidey cartoon, apparently Peter’s getting kicked out of Horizon back to Midtown so we’ll likely see MJ there. Dunno what she’ll do considering Gwen’s alreasy established and getting her powers back.
    I think unless you're a celebrity, VA's get paid the same no matter their status.

    I assumed they would save the MJ appearance for when Peter gets kicked out of Horizon but considering how they use her in other animated stuff and how much else they have going on, I'm not holding my breath.

  12. #522
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default .

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Riri's supposed to be more the exception then the norm. It's not like we see her or Gwen swapping tech talk.
    The only other option is that Gwen bought it off ebay, which I seriously doubt. More proof of her smarts is that during chasing ghosts we see her attempting to hack the SW computer. She failed, likely due to it being SHIELD tech, but the fact that she felt confident enough to try indicates she’s done it before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they focused on it enough to where we knew it was a significant part of her life, but yeah, I assume the Superheroics will be more present then the outside the costume stuff.
    The band really only shows up during her intros, so not much focus. Unless we get another Gwen special her civilian life won’t come up much, if at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    MJ looks weird with short hair, even though I know they gave her a similar cut in the MTV cartoon, and her hair doesn't look as...red as it should, I guess?

    She doesn't seem to have the same attitude and prima donna personality of EmJay, but she also isn't as much of a character.
    It’s definitely a different shade of red but I’m fine with it. I’m also in the camp that likw Gwen getting pink tipped hair. I know its Gwenpools thing but it looks great on Gwen and her outfit is also really unique. Better than her current comic civvies, which is just a civilian palette swap of her hero costume.

    Comics MJ could be infuriating, to be fair, so I still kinda prefer this version. I still remember her accusing Gwen of being an attention whore trying to sabotage the band because one of Gwen’s Venom spiders accidentally got on her. She also spends all of her screentime just screaming at Gwen, which pretty much just shits on her character development in Latour’s run.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume in normal settings she's lead vocals, it's just Dove Cameron sings most of this serie's major music so Gwen has to step up .
    Yeah, poor MJ gets the shaft. I watched the lego movie and I think she talks ONCE in the entire thing. Gwen’s been really getting the push lately. As a Spider-Gwen fan I can’t say I mind though. Just wondering if Marvel will cave and pair her off with Peter since everyone seems to expect it. The cartoon seems to lean toward it as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assumed they would save the MJ appearance for when Peter gets kicked out of Horizon but considering how they use her in other animated stuff and how much else they have going on, I'm not holding my breath.
    Who knows she might show up in Venomverse. Speaking of that, apparently Gwen gets her powers back by...touching some kind og magical gem? Huh? That’s an...odd choice.

  13. #523
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Here's the special:

    Bah, it's region locked. Don't bother trying to watch the video if you're not in America.

  14. #524
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bah, it's region locked. Don't bother trying to watch the video if you're not in America.
    I have some links but I'm not sure that the rules are on streaming sites.

  15. #525
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Ghost Spider Annual Preview:

    https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...ider-annual-1/



    So it looks like Gwen's stuck in Arcade's game purely because a glitchy recording/AI can't tell her apart from actual spidey. Also, her objective 'save the girl to go home' and the recording saying that it's 'giving her a chance to redeem one of her biggest mistakes' really leads me to believe that she's gonna end up having to save a recreation of 616 Gwen's famous bridging. That'll be pretty fucking awkward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •