Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the fact that we haven't seen her meet Earth-65 Gwen is a shame.

Like, I don't think they want to do anything with Peter, but I think there's definitely something to be mined with MJ seeing a version of her best friend who's close in age to when she died and has spider-powers.

I think 616!MJ is also the kind of older female figure that would be good for Gwen to meet and get to know.
    Cue Gwen internally complaining about why her Em Jay is such a diva while 616's is so much more mature and easy to get along with. Double points if Em Jay gets annoyed at MJ for this.

I think the fact that we haven't seen her meet Earth-65 Gwen is a shame.

Like, I don't think they want to do anything with Peter, but I think there's definitely something to be mined with MJ seeing a version of her best friend who's close in age to when she died and has spider-powers.

I think 616!MJ is also the kind of older female figure that would be good for Gwen to meet and get to know.
    I liked the very brief interaction between Earth-65 Gwen and MJ of Earth-GoblinGwen at the beginning of this current run. It was almost a tease of 616 MJ and 65 Gwen.

Astonishing Member

You know? The Infinity Warps' plot gave me an idea. What could it happen if characters from the main Marvel Universe were warped with their own counterparts from other realities? I just can't stop thinking that, now that Spider-Gwen is going to go college on Earth-616, it's almost like we brought back the classic Gwen, combined with her Spider-Gwen counterpart. This could be a way to keep elements from destroyed realities in the Marvel Multiverse (like the ones destroyed after Secret Wars) as they were naturally from Earth-616.

McGuire talks about her love of Gwen, and her run with the character.
    https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/st...26853787103237
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    McGuire talks about her love of Gwen, and her run with the character.
    https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/st...26853787103237
    Wow, someone who was a fan of and could relate to 616 Gwen Stacy. Never thought I'd see the day.

(But "could do science better then Peter Parker? Come on. That's just Emma Stone ).

Fantastic Member

Yeah, seems like another case of someone blending the various Gwens together.

Everybody (including us as individuals) has their own interpretations of who these characters are and hopes for characters made and including possible brand new versions in the Multiverse that might exist. I was talking to a person that likes the idea of Peter being 'nerdy' while Gwen not a scientist but 'punk goth' much like 1610 in a relationship due partly to the contrasting appearances and types often showcased in media. Others I talk to prefer that both Peter and Gwen love science as a bonding possibility and move on from there. Peter and/or Gwen with powers. Others want Gwen and MJ and so on and so forth of wide possibilities open in the multiverse for new, to be, and old versions. But how we see characters and hopes for pre existing to new versions possible is wide.

I can't say with 100 positive or negative that 616 Gwen had/has the potential to perform certain sciences better then 616 Peter. They are fictional thus they always has the possibility to be provided a logical and storywise well made work is shown and considered.
    For one thing I think it's often a problem lumping ALL various types of different scientific fields like it's one field. Instead it can be Peter is a expert or really good on some areas and Gwen the other areas of certain fields of science. That makes a logical step. Both seem to have a genetics interest and mastery maybe. Peter focusing on his Spider-Man duties and only having time to study and use fields relating to his duties can be logically written having him fall short yet 616 Gwen not having those time restraints and able to branch out able to master some areas Peter wasn't focusing on with maybe one or two Gwen and Peter focusing on with mixed result or equals.

Often late for class or tired from his Spider-man duties maybe hurts Peter's grades (absences and lateness can affected a grade even if you ace tests and other work assignments and often his work/life balances conflicted) thus GPA Gwen was higher as they maybe were equals in tests but Gwen was never late for her classes like Peter could of been.

I was reading McGuire's tweets on people reacting to the upcoming reboot. https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1129118031957909504

It seems that she wasn't happy with being forced to start a series and character she has hopes and passion for "mired in Spider-geddon, which can reduce engagement."
    She also posted that she sees this less as a reboot more contrination. Most likely hopes though for a 2nd chance to earn and keep people to the series then being force to start with an event.
    She also wrote that Gwen won't abandon 65. "For one thing, her Netflix password doesn't work in 616."

I love so many various Gwen Stacys of the Multiverse and the wide varieties and the future possibilities (such as hopes for a great Gwen Stacy version in the MCU if she appears) and great growths/developments for all versions. Reading her small story tweets about her love for comics and a character named Gwen Stacy I can understand plus everybody has one character they can relate to I think and love.

Fantastic Member

Question you don't think about: Where did Gwen get her costume from? In many Spider stories the setup includes showing where the Spiders got their costumes - 616 stole a gymnast costume and tweaked it, Mayday took Ben Reilly's suit, Noir modified his Uncle Ben's pilot gear etc etc. Gwen, on the other hand, just shows up with an extremely sleek and professionally made outfit despite no indications she can sew or make costumes. Iirc Wasp only gave her the webshooters so the costume source is left unstated.

EDIT: Nevermind, checked again; Wasp gave her the costume. Still doesn't explain how she repairs it, though, or why she never has to get replacements when ut gets damaged
    Last edited by eratas123; 05-24-2019 at 10:37 AM.

The whole Wasp thing is so random. It was clear that it was a case of synergy, since around the time the original series launched, the first Ant-Man movie was being released. Latour probably thought it was nice reference to the movie, but never developed that concept. Janet hasn't even appeared in the series, so yeah, he just never really give that much of a thought. I imagine giving her the symbiote was a way to get away from what Tv Tropes calls "Early Installment Weirdness".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    The whole Wasp thing is so random. It was clear that it was a case of synergy, since around the time the original series launched, the first Ant-Man movie was being released. Latour probably thought it was nice reference to the movie, but never developed that concept. Janet hasn't even appeared in the series, so yeah, he just never really give that much of a thought. I imagine giving her the symbiote was a way to get away from what Tv Tropes calls "Early Installment Weirdness".
    Wasp is the biggest waste I've seen in this comic. She's so integral to Gwen's backstory and her continued ability to be a hero and yet Gwen NEVER mentions her when talking about allies, people to turn to for help or even when having flashbacks about her early hero days. Hell, she didn't even appear during Gwen's trial! What in the hell was the point of even including her? Might as well have Gwen smart enough to make the webshooters on her own and make do with cartridges. Marvel Rising Gwen is a techn genius and it works fine for her.

Funnily enough I think the only other time Wasp has been mentioned in relation to Gwen is in, of all things, the mobile Avengers Academy game, where Gwen has an interaction with 616 Janet and mentions how her Janet is the one who made her web shooters. Nothing else really comes of it, but its still a surprise that was even remembered at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Marvel Rising Gwen is a techn genius and it works fine for her.
    I don't think she's actually supposed to be a tech genius even though she has all this cool tech that they never explain how she has.

I mean, besides not acting like it the one time she tried a hacking job in the Secret Warriors headquarters she totally bungled it. She's not presented as natural tech savvy unless you assume she designed and built all her tech (which I don't).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Wasp is the biggest waste I've seen in this comic. She's so integral to Gwen's backstory and her continued ability to be a hero and yet Gwen NEVER mentions her when talking about allies, people to turn to for help or even when having flashbacks about her early hero days. Hell, she didn't even appear during Gwen's trial! What in the hell was the point of even including her? Might as well have Gwen smart enough to make the webshooters on her own and make do with cartridges. Marvel Rising Gwen is a techn genius and it works fine for her.
    Agreed. We should be seeing a lot more of Earth-65's Janet Van Dyne, even if it's just a callback to that one comic where Hank Pym and Spider-Man interacted back in the 2000s (pre-Avengers Disassembled, I think) and Pym expressed simultaneous admiration and envy that Spider-Man figured out how to make tracers attuned to his spider-sense when he was just fifteen years old while it took Pym half his adult life to figure out the same thing for his helmet that enabled him to communicate with ants.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

This is just an idea, but if Spider-Gwen is going to be traveling to Earth-616 for college, maybe she could meet the ORIGINAL Gwen Stacy from Earth-616? Yes, I know, she has supposed to have died (again) after Clone Conspiracy. However, we never saw her becoming dust, we only saw her jacket alongside a pile of dust. If there's no clear proof, then we can't jump into conclussions. We thought the same from Otto and Ben; et voila!, it turned out they survived!

Fantastic Member

It must suck being dead and used as angst fodder all the time...

I don't think she's actually supposed to be a tech genius even though she has all this cool tech that they never explain how she has.

I mean, besides not acting like it the one time she tried a hacking job in the Secret Warriors headquarters she totally bungled it. She's not presented as natural tech savvy unless you assume she designed and built all her tech (which I don't).
    The hacking job can at least be explained by the SW having really good Avengers level security. OTOH we see Gwen using advanced tech like webshooters, remote controlled drones, web wings and trackers. Unless she bought and/or stole all of that I have to assume she did make at least some of them given how experienced she is in their usage.

That and she at least knew enough to attempt a hack, which most people really wouldn't. Gives the impression that she's pretty smart.
    Last edited by eratas123; 05-24-2019 at 10:20 PM.