Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Rather than a clone? You're confusing her with X-23... though she did look more like Laura than 616 Kitty.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Rather than a clone? You're confusing her with X-23... though she did look more like Laura than 616 Kitty.
    Shadowcat in this world reminds me more of Kimura, actually, both apprarance and personality wise.

Fantastic Member

Cool

Read Ghost Spider 5:

spoilers:

This is what the first issue re-introduction should have been. Right off the bat we get a quick re-introduction to the important people in Gwen's life and her new status quo: she's still with the band, she's scoring food from Harry, and she's living with her dad again now that he's out of the hospital. Honestly, they could've just started with this rather than going 4 issues tying into an event that new readers would have no fucking clue about.

I like the introductions we get to everyone - the band eats up Gwen's time (and MJ stresses her out), but she clearly enjoys it, she's closer than ever to her dad now that they're living together, and we get the seeds of her new relationship with Harry. My only issue is with Harry's introduction.

'Formerly the Lizard'? How about 'formerly the Green Goblin' or 'formerly tried to murder me for bullshit reasons' or 'formerly infected six innocent people and gave a psycho serum to a terrorist group'? Granted maybe they'll delve into that later, but what little we kinda see right now kinda indicates that the author's just putting all that **** under the rug and I'm not a fan. I fucking loved Normie Osborn in Spider-Girl because we clearly see his redemption process and how the story never lets us forget his past crimes, but also that he legitimately felt guilty and worked to make up for them. Harry just kinda shows up without so much as a slap on the wrist for anything he did.

Aside from that, Gwen - at the urging of her dad - decides to try and enroll in Community College. It doesn't work because she has a somewhat depressing/somewhat adorable response to being recognized.

The way she ran away makes her look like Kamala :P Despite the funny scene she does angst that a normal life is now impossible for her after everything, which is kinda depressing. Though, we also get the seed of the Hero for Hire plot since Gwen starts accepting that Community College is a bust and she might as well capitalize on her newfound fame by accepting part time hero work.

The end of the issue also shows one of the downsides of an open identity - now crims can target you if you piss them off since the bad guys Gwen stopped in her preview were mighty ticked she ruined their meticulously planned heist and complain to their boss...an Evil John Jameson.

Guess he wasn't Bodega Bandit after all. Still, I'm really curious how Jonah plans to spin this in his favor. It'd be amazing if he tried to smear Gwen and claim that she beat up his innocent son and people finally call BS on it.

Still, for a new Earth-65 run this issue was very solid and I'm looking forward to more. Hopefully we get more interactions with her friends and family.
    end of spoilers

On a less spoilery note, some people comment that the author might be angling for an MJ/Gwen pairing despite the summary indicating she's going to date Harry. Normally I'd disagree, but the new song MJ made was pretty damn loaded:

Yeah...MJ's definitely gonna give people the wrong idea with Taylor Swift-esque songs like that

It's nice to see Miyazawa drawing Spider-Man characters again .

Astonishing Member

So, John Jameson (the Man-Wolf) is evil here, and a criminal. This surely will bring us BIG trouble with J Jonah Jameson. If this version of Jameson is still the typical "classic model", he will surely try to turn Spider-Gwen into a menace while making his son "a hero". Such an imbecile.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    The way she ran away makes her look like Kamala :P
    That's because it's drawn by a former Ms Marvel artist.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Ten bucks says that the Mary Jane concert attendants are going to be 90% Spider-Gwen fans. Also, what do you guys think: is the author going to pair off MJ and Gwen or was that loaded song just teasing/the author didn't intend for it to be flirting? I'm trying not to be shippy but the lyrics just come across as way too baiting considering MJ's screaming about Gwen 'picking her or she's going to lose', how there's 'no exchange for her' and then says 'wild romance'. Gwen even snarks that she's sure the song is about her, but she doesn't comment on it (though her expression indicates annoyance for some reason).
    Last edited by eratas123; 02-14-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Could be an unrequited love thing. MJ loves Gwen, but can't spit it out, and instead drops hints in her songs. Meanwhile, Gwen's dating Harry, so unless Gwen is bisexual, MJ has no chance of getting her girl.

Fantastic Member

Could be an unrequited love thing. MJ loves Gwen, but can't spit it out, and instead drops hints in her songs. Meanwhile, Gwen's dating Harry, so unless Gwen is bisexual, MJ has no chance of getting her girl.
    Normally I'd think so but isn't MJ, you know, dating Glory? One of the other members in her band and a close friend to both her and Gwen? I'm also really curious on Gwen's view of it. Her expression indicates annoyance and when referring to MJ she calls her 'lead pain in the neck' while Glory and Betty don't get insulting epitaphs.
    Last edited by eratas123; 02-15-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Normally I'd think so but isn't MJ, you know, dating Glory? One of the other members in her band and a close friend to both her and Gwen? I'm also really curious on Gwen's view of it. Her expression indicates annoyance and when referring to MJ she calls her 'lead pain in the neck' while Glory and Betty don't get insulting epitaphs.
    I loved this issue. I always enjoy seeing the personal side and cast (one of the reasons I loved Kamala/Ms Marvel which also the artist drew this issue adding to fun expressions and reactions to see). I would write more about this issue but lack of time I'm just going to respond about this topic.

I recall in the beginning during Stan's run with 616 MJ dating Harry while really having eyes and interested in Peter resulting in MJ doing things that even Peter found disturbing. Now many people had various reactions to how they perceived how 616 MJ acted towards Harry during this time 'dating' him while giving him what many felt was the cold shoulder vs a honest talk between two people on how they truly feel which in the end that might of been less brutal.

On Earth-65 Em Jay is seems is dating Gloria but depending on the writer decide where she wants things to go and handles it I hoping that they don't decide to repeat that cycle with Gloria. I wouldn't mind Gwen/MJ or a showcase of one sided love possible but either way if such things cause friction between Em Jay and Gloria in terms of love matters that a honest talk will happen.

On Earth-65 Em Jay is bossy but underneath caring. She's also no fool and suspected that Gwen was Spider-Woman based on what she knew. She gives off a attitude and is viewed from a outside presistive that she would to never drop a gig or any means to become famous puting the band life and trying to be a star first (selfish) then Gwen disappears and everybody in her life knew she was going through a rough patch when her father was badly hurt and MJ cancels a gig and instead organizes a search party to find and help Gwen (selfless).

Then on the others side matters of love can also be complicated. For Gwen to have a love life she fortunately doesn't now have to do the whole "I can never tell so them because ..." that 616 Peter was during during his first 100 issues and foward as Spider-man due to her secret is out and public knowledge. The secret being out separates her from some other Spiders and how her life will be like and choices influenced and how people will react to her. For her love life she needs to know while they know she's Spider-woman that there know and see primary the woman Gwen Stacy first. Many in the public see her as Spider-Woman and a kind of a celebrity first (as shown and making Gwen uncomfortable and her running out of college and fearful a bit of 'real life' stuff now having a new difficulty in her life) with those that knew her first as Gwen Stacy being a exception. People like Harry, MJ, and the others who can see "Gwen" first while knowing about what she can do and does and adapting.

As for Gwen being possible bi or not is left open but right now no signs indicated but outside of her actions with Miles of her pressuring a love life. The matters of love outside of family love and her trying to have a relationship was never in the forefront (agian different from 616 Peter where part of his drama came from his and others love lives and reactions) though others we had seen had shown interest in her. Now that direction in her life and drama might be beginning to take root in her series.

Also nice shout out to the song "You're so vain". Makes sense that possible more musical history and songs shout outs might happen or be used as Gwen and the Mary Janes are Musicians.
    Also yeah: "Stop 'swinging' your way all over town" and "Responsibility" which that last one iis so left field keyword thrown in where the other lyrics least sound like they fit.

BANNED

I hope they don't start 'shipping MJ with Gwen...for one, it's far too easy, two, it would just be another eye-rolling box ticking exercise, and third I have no interest in a bi-sexual Gwen

Fantastic Member

Other people have noticed MJ's behavior in the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRlhpE9czao

This reminds me of Leon and Claire at the fence during RE2 Remake. The shipping wars have started.

Wink

Other people have noticed MJ's behavior in the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRlhpE9czao

This reminds me of Leon and Claire at the fence during RE2 Remake. The shipping wars have started.
    Don't these poor fools realize 65 Gwen belongs with Miles, just ask those in charge of Marvel (see the Spiderverse Movie)!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

That relationship will never happen unless Gwen migrates to 616. It's the same reason Gwen isn't a Champion (Miles actually suggested her as an new member in issue 16, but they laughed off the idea).

That relationship will never happen unless Gwen migrates to 616. It's the same reason Gwen isn't a Champion (Miles actually suggested her as an new member in issue 16, but they laughed off the idea).
    I know, it was a joke.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."