Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Reminds me of when they teased Gwen showing up as Miles "girlfriend" in Champions, so perhaps they will pull that trigger.
    Champions has changed it's creative team since then, so I don't think they'll do that. If Miles leaves, they'd probably make Silk a full time member, as Cindy's already been listed as a Reinforcement Roster member.

I do think that this means Gwen and Squirrel Girl could now appear in each other's books, since Doreen is also at ESU. There's also no excuse now for not including Gwen next time they do a Marvel Rising series, rather than subbing in Miles as they did in the current one. And remember the variant cover for Marvel Team-Up #1, showing Kamala with various other heroes? One of them was Gwen, and this easily sets up why they'd team up. They've met before, during Sitting In A Tree (which made the whole girlfriend from another dimension thing in Champions stupid, as Kamala joined in when the others didn't believe she existed and laughed, despite the fact she knew perfectly well that Miles was telling the truth about the existence of an AU Spider-Woman!).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only way that makes sense to me is if someone relaunched Young Avengers and thought "hey, we need a spider-person on this team!" because the other teenage/young adult Superhero has a spider-person on it.

I mean, if/when they relaunch the team it might not be exactly the OG!roster or the Gillen team but Gwen has virtually no association with anyone in that group or the name.

I'd think it'd be more likely they spin a canon Marvel Rising book with her in it instead of replacing her with Miles like they did.
    Yeah, Anya Corazon, Spider-Girl, would make more sense for the YA team.

- It looks like they're going to try and have their cake and eat it too by having Gwen go between dimensions. But why does she go to 616? is the idea that it will be easier for her to go to school in a world that doesn't know who she is and where she doesn't have a public identity? What will her assumed name be in 616? Is this all going to transition her to just being a 616 character?
    It's exactly that, so she can be anonymous. She's a celebrity in Earth-65, publicly known as Spider-Woman. That caused problems when she tried to enrol in college there. And that combined with her criminal record makes her unemployable. None of that's an issue on 616.

She definitely should take an alias on 616, otherwise you can bet Miles Warren will be onto her in no time.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-16-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Okay, my takeaways from this: - It looks like they're going to try and have their cake and eat it too by having Gwen go between dimensions. But why does she go to 616? is the idea that it will be easier for her to go to school in a world that doesn't know who she is and where she doesn't have a public identity? What will her assumed name be in 616? Is this all going to transition her to just being a 616 character?
    Yeah, and I don't know how it will work. I think having her tied into 616 would theoretically help sales, but having her in her own universe was nice.

Astonishing Member

Guys, I just had a doubt. I think Spider-Gwen is actually younger than 616's Peter Parker, still, she was able to impersonate 616's Gwen Stacy without any problems. How is that? They are actually more close in age than we think? Also, when Gwen Stacy was resurrected in Clone Conspiracy, did she had the same age when she died or her age was adapted to the years she has spent dead?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Guys, I just had a doubt. I think Spider-Gwen is actually younger than 616's Peter Parker, still, she was able to impersonate 616's Gwen Stacy without any problems. How is that? They are actually more close in age than we think? Also, when Gwen Stacy was resurrected in Clone Conspiracy, did she had the same age when she died or her age was adapted to the years she has spent dead?
    Gwen Stacy was in college when she died iirc, so she was about 20-21, and Gwen's 19 during Clone Conspiracy meaning she already did most if not all of her growing. That and you'd be surprised how much hair and outfits change the perception of you.

Yeah, 65-Gwen just wore hair extensions (since her own hair was shorter at the time - she seems to grown it out recently though) and stole 616-Gwen clone's clothes.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, 65-Gwen just wore hair extensions (since her own hair was shorter at the time - she seems to grown it out recently though) and stole 616-Gwen clone's clothes.
    Wasn't a fan of the heels, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Gwen Stacy of Earth-616 first death happened when she was going to college (Freshman or sophomore year?) so when she was resurrected in Clone Conspiracy her body would of been created from the DNA of her first dead body which was about maybe 19-21 years old. Thus when Gwen Stacy of 616 was resurrected Gwen of 616 would be 19-21 while her friends that she had known and last seen for her perspective less then a day ago in her mind was also 19-21 but now jumped forwards into the future was in their 30's. The matters of culture, technology, and history changes plus massively seeing how the people you known move forward and age and changed can be a major point for 616 Gwen (plus would she go back and resume college and other matters while her friends now in a different point in their lives. Last time Gwen of 616 saw MJ MJ and her were friends and rivals for Peter and MJ was a party girl. Gwen would be dumbfounded yet fascinated by MJ's growth and changes since she last saw her (which for Gwen was far less time then for MJ).

But getting back to the point 616 Gwen is about 19-21. Earth-65 Gwen is about maybe two or one years younger then her or even equal age as her. In Edge of Spider-Verse Earth-65 Gwen's father mentioned Gwen possibly going to college vs pursuing music. After her year in jail or so her father continued placing college as a option for Gwen (but now being a celebrity that Gwen is uncomfortable with scared Gwen off from entering the door).

Thus with a small or no age gaps the two can pass each other off if outfit right like Earth-65 Gwen did taking 616 place after kidnapping her.

It kind of makes the whole Kaine speech how 616 Gwen would love 65-Gwen a bit amusing to me. Kaine: 'She would of loved ya... of course we did kidnap her, take her clothes, had her tied down as her body was suffering and made her scared not knowing what was happening and treated her like dirt or existed... but she'll love ya.'

Granted when 616 Gwen did see Earth-65 (falling from a window) and learned more about her from 616 Peter 616 Gwen did find her fascinating and a 'upgrade'. Sadly the two during that time period never personally interacted or talked which for me felt like a miss opportunity.

Earth-65 Gwen would later meet a 616 Gwen in the past but due to her being there cause a tangent in the time line and new Earth born and that 616 Gwen split and transformed into 617 Gwen and a new path with her loving, bonding to the symbiote, and becoming the world's best forensic science detective and a multiverse researcher/jumper.
    Last edited by AngelJD; 05-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

Gwen's getting an annual this year, which will tie into "Acts of Evil", she's facing Arcade

I'm seeing that Arcade is being used alot lately. I started reading comics in late 2014 but I have recently found him being a big bad in books like Marvel Rising and Gwenpool and now on Amazing Spider-man.

I wonder if he discovered about the whole multiverse hopping and wants to make a Multiverse Death Trap Park taking elements from various worlds? Outside of heroes finding new villains they haven't before is there a reason this all happening in this "Acts of Evil"? Based on the font of the title that gives a vibe of a old ink on parchment and corrupted I'm guessing Mephisto if anybody setting things up.

Also that 'relaunch' title I feel isn't necessary. Just call it the next 'story arc' in the series. Name changes disrupts organization when I'm trying to organize my comics and know where to place each one of how to find. A series can get to at least 50 often can be considered something of value and love. I can't image Spider-man back in the 60's-70's renaming the Amazing Spider-man series into something else every 10 issues. ('Amazing Spider-Man #100 plus month and year on top side' "oh wow that is amazing achievement and status plus I can organize that...'Super-Duper Spider-Man #4 [but really 454 of main series] no date' "that's bonkers...hope the 'legacy' number plus clear date is placed so if I lose track I can still be organized later...dang it"

Granted Peter has alot of different named series but usually that's to indicate a sister story or other like Friendly is to Amazing while the main keeps the name till an actual major change requires it after some time.

My guess Marvel thinks it's important enough change for Gwen to have a rename to inform something different and important has happened to this Gwen to her non readers and for the ones that do care about only 616 ongoings (which online some people truly don't care unless it's on 616 then it's to them 'true and important'). To get people that didn't pick up her series because it was on primary Earth-65 to now think of her important to the ongoings of the 616 world and events since Gwen now has a foot in there and life with possible fully moving.

Still not comfortable on the Ghost-Spider name unless some new powers and other matters are established to warrant that particular name vs what she was going by as Spider-Woman not just 'I'm a ghost to them'.
    Once agian I guess out of respect for Jessica and not knowing if Jessaca would be comfortable having two 'Spider-Woman' on one Earth dimension plus Gwen might want a unique name for herself which is fine but still hopefully better setup and reasonings behind a name that will be your identity and resent who you are and what you can do behind it for people introduced.

I can see a little kid introduced to her as 'Ghost Spider' and thinking 'Cool she has 'ghost powers' then' or like many people not knowing but assuming 616 Gwen came back (a common mistake when Earth-65 Gwen series began many though 616 was resurrected with Spider powers in the comic shops I went to and overhear) that name might also make other non-knowing think once more that 616 Gwen was 'resurrected' but with a foot in the afterlife and a foot in the mortal realm having spider and ghost powers just from looking at the covers and title which many will judge and search for clues by alone (I know that's wrong and lazy greatly with the internet to inform at people's fingertips but people still make quick assumptions and choices that way and they stick in the minds).

The Acts of Evil logo means nothing - it's the Acts of Vengeance logo from 1989/90.

Don't worry, I think we can assume the legacy number will be staying.

I did say she should get camo powers - like Miles already has - as that's part of Venom's powerset. I hope that does happen. In any case, I think Peter and Miles will have something to do with her taking on the new name.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Wasn't a fan of the heels, though:

Neither was Gwen .

(Although Gwen Stacy died in those boots so she didn't have much of a choice).
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Gwen's getting an annual this year, which will tie into "Acts of Evil", she's facing Arcade

616 instead of 65?

Yeah, that will be 616's Arcade. It's a month after she'll have started spending most of her time on 616.

Neither was Gwen .

(Although Gwen Stacy died in those boots so she didn't have much of a choice).

616 instead of 65?

For the resurrected Gwen to wear that outfit I'm trying to think why in story wise.
    Now 616 Gwen has worn many different outfits while she was first alive but that outfit is iconic simply because she shockingly died in that particular one. The artist of the past could of made any other outfit and by default would be equally iconic due to the situation that it would be the one she would die in to the shock of readers of the time.
    Art wise I image they wanted to visually show it's fall,winter, or early spring wise (I recall Peter having a cold I think due to the weather of the last issue) plus something loose enough to express motion (like when she was falling) yet tight around the body hugging her not to importantly show parts of her from various angles.

During the Clone Conspiracy arc the times we see Gwen of 616 and Gwen of 65 pretending to be the other I think some days went by yet Gwen never changed to different outfits. I would think the memory of death to have a major psychological effect that just wear her 'death outfit' would be scary for her. Yet my guess Ben ordered tons of that one outfit in bulk for Gwen and Gwen having no way to make money had to cope.

For Earth-65 Gwen being a person that prefers sneakers over heels based on her world tone, time culture, and personality but also I can feel as a Spider if Gwen isn't having her feet in the air swinging then firmly planted on ground, roofs, side of buildings, webs, ect.

Interesting to see how the writer or others that have the power picked Arcade for Earth-65 gwen to battle for her annual (Gwen's 2nd annual but labeled as #1 due to the name). Maybe even two Arcades 616 and 65 against Gwen. The writer and the artist isn't the same person as her current ongoing for this issue so it will be interesting what the tone will be as everytime a new writer writes for a character I enjoy usually a new take/tone happens:

"Written by VITA AYALA
    Art by PERE PEREZ"

Looking at the cover for her soon upcoming Ghost-Spider#1 issue I love the cover having her father and seeing the Mary Janes on the side. Overall a beautiful cover:

However while I understand Miles having a slot in the cover Peter being bigger feels a bit off unless in her series 616 Peter will have some level of importance outside of being 616 Peter. I started thinking based on the last cover of Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider with the costume in the trash but reading this:
    "travels from her troubled home of Earth-65 to Earth-616 for Super Hero action…and school! And the newest student at ESU"

Maybe Gwen was forced to stop being a superhero overall not so much for herself by for the safety or good of the ones she cares about thus announced retirement from superhero life openly on Earth-65. But heroism being in her blood when she goes to Earth-616 to fulfil a promise maybe to her father to earn a college education (yet do so in a environment that won't treat her with different eyes) she also finds she's doesn't have the same heroics limitations that she would have on 65 thus find a freedom on 616 to cover two aspects that is Earth-65 Gwen Stacy the super hero and person.

Now going to ESU doesn't Peter also currently go to ESU right now in his series or a different college? Also what year is Miles in High School right now as college might be soon in his and his cast future as well. 616 MJ I don't think finished College also and in a similar boat financially and job wise as 616 Peter...maybe she's considering...
    Other characters also hitting the college scene soon as in a recent Marvel Rising series Kamala was looking into different colleges taking a tour with Doreen Green showing her college. Alot of networking potential happening.

Also as a nit pick in the cover I feel Gwen should of had a Spider-Ham mini plush vs the Spider-Man tsum (or I know this might be a legal issue but a Batgirl one simply due to recalling it from this variant cover for Vol 1 Spider-Gwen #5 )
    Last edited by AngelJD; 05-17-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Miles was in that same Marvel Rising story. Both him and Kamala are in their final year of high school, hence Gwen enrolling now would put her a year ahead of them, assuming the younger teens don't take a gap year (which it doesn't sound like they are). Squirrel Girl should by now be a third year ESU student, but I haven't read her book recently so I don't know if they've updated that on her intro page (it changed from first to second year after Secret Wars, and both Champions and Magnificent Ms Marvel mentioned it being the start of the school year recently, which should also push Doreen up a year).

Peter doesn't attend ESU, but he was offered the chance to redo his degree there. Both he and MJ are currently jobseeking.