Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

This is what would happen if Gwen's Peter trauma just made her snap:

https://incorrectyanderes.tumblr.com...pider-gwen-pls

It's both scary and depressing.

So I finally read the first trade of the new run, and I thought I'd share my thoughts:

- Starting the relaunch off with a Spidegeddon tie-in did feel a bit abrupt. Like, you're coming off a big, massive, character-defining ending and status quo change and...then proceed to do nothing with it with the character's big return to an ongoing series in lieu of a tie-in to an event. Not sure if that's "new reader friendly" even if I guess they still got the main gist of the character down in there, but it probably helps if you read the previous run.

- On a technical level I think the writing is solid even if, compared to Latour, it's much more of a standard young adult Superhero book now without being as irreverent or all over the place as Latour was. Whether that's a good or bad thing is probably left up to the reader.

- They sure do seem to like upping the lesbian subtext with Mary Jane in this book. I almost envision a Strangers in Paradise dynamic between Gwen, MJ, and Peter in this universe.

- They sure do like to make sweeping statements about Gwen Stacy, although they seem a little more accurate towards just Spider-Gwen then 616 Gwen. Also not surprised we got a very Emma Stone-esque Gwen in this AU since that seems to be who the writer generally envisions as "main" Gwen.

- The different Spider-Man/Goblin dynamic in the Gwen Goblin's world was pretty interesting. I think it would've been cool if this Gwen had genuinely been a villain, but that's obviously not what the story was going for, so it was fine. I'm surprised no one made a joke about Goblin Gwen's fishnet leggings and purple leotard.

- Noir!Aunt May slapping Gwen was kind of amusing. Also glad they acknowledged the MJ and Felicia of that world. Although I kind of feel bad for Noir once he's inevitably resurrected and goes back to his world only to discover his family now knows his identity.

- Lady Spider! But were she and Spider-Man UK always siblings? I think this is the first time it's been brought up.

- Was that 616 Peter who Gwen had that conversation with at the end? I thought it was him. I actually kind of liked Peter coming and doing a bit of "mentoring" to Gwen while she was in a bit of a funk, even if it was a bit abrupt to see them on positive speaking terms with how little a relationship they seem to have.

- I guess they just threw in the Motion Comic just to have it in there even if basically just replayed the opening moments of the first issue with some different art. Missed hearing Erika Harlacher...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I finally read the first trade of the new run, and I thought I'd share my thoughts:

- Starting the relaunch off with a Spidegeddon tie-in did feel a bit abrupt. Like, you're coming off a big, massive, character-defining ending and status quo change and...then proceed to do nothing with it with the character's big return to an ongoing series in lieu of a tie-in to an event. Not sure if that's "new reader friendly" even if I guess they still got the main gist of the character down in there, but it probably helps if you read the previous run.

- On a technical level I think the writing is solid even if, compared to Latour, it's much more of a standard young adult Superhero book now without being as irreverent or all over the place as Latour was. Whether that's a good or bad thing is probably left up to the reader.

- They sure do seem to like upping the lesbian subtext with Mary Jane in this book. I almost envision a Strangers in Paradise dynamic between Gwen, MJ, and Peter in this universe.

- They sure do like to make sweeping statements about Gwen Stacy, although they seem a little more accurate towards just Spider-Gwen then 616 Gwen. Also not surprised we got a very Emma Stone-esque Gwen in this AU since that seems to be who the writer generally envisions as "main" Gwen.

- The different Spider-Man/Goblin dynamic in the Gwen Goblin's world was pretty interesting. I think it would've been cool if this Gwen had genuinely been a villain, but that's obviously not what the story was going for, so it was fine. I'm surprised no one made a joke about Goblin Gwen's fishnet leggings and purple leotard.

- Noir!Aunt May slapping Gwen was kind of amusing. Also glad they acknowledged the MJ and Felicia of that world. Although I kind of feel bad for Noir once he's inevitably resurrected and goes back to his world only to discover his family now knows his identity.

- Lady Spider! But were she and Spider-Man UK always siblings? I think this is the first time it's been brought up.

- Was that 616 Peter who Gwen had that conversation with at the end? I thought it was him. I actually kind of liked Peter coming and doing a bit of "mentoring" to Gwen while she was in a bit of a funk, even if it was a bit abrupt to see them on positive speaking terms with how little a relationship they seem to have.

- I guess they just threw in the Motion Comic just to have it in there even if basically just replayed the opening moments of the first issue with some different art. Missed hearing Erika Harlacher...
    Same. Based on her role as Ann in Persona 5, she would (and did) make a good Mary Jane Watson. Speaking of, I was wondering why they kept tiptoeing around whether or not Gwen Goblin and her Mary Jane were romantically involved. Might as well have just come out and said it, though I could see that reality's MJ possibly being uncomfortable with sharing that detail with a total stranger, even if that stranger was a (younger) dead ringer for her Gwen. On the subject of Gwen visiting Noir's world, I'm morbidly impressed that we got to see what Noir!Felicia looked like behind her mask after what the Crime Master did to her in Eyes without a Face, and Noir!Aunt May's reaction is exactly why most versions of Peter spend so long being scared to tell their Aunt Mays the truth about their dual identities. At least Gwen and 616-Peter were able to patch things up after their last meeting in The Clone Conspiracy, and that's assuming it wasn't RYV-Peter, since they wear the exact same costume and don't look all that different with the masks off.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Doubling down on the 616 transition:

Ghost Spider Annual #1
    • Gwen Stacy is trying to balance her social life with her hero life in the 616…but what will she do when she comes face-to-face with Arcade’s Murderworld?!
    • It’s a tower of terror as Gwen takes on some of the most classic – and DEADLY – villains of the Marvel Universe!

GHOST-SPIDER #2
    SEANAN MCGUIREE (W) • TAKESHI MIYAZAWA (A) • Cover by JORGE MOLINA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    • New friends! New villains! Same Gwen Stacy!
    • School is in session as Gwen’s fall semester begins!
    • What villain from the past stalks Gwen’s travels?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

At this point I'm surprised Mary Jane can still sing considering she spends 90% of her screentime screaming at Gwen. Also, that is Jackal on the cover. If 616-Warren's head (assuming that's him) doesn't explode from seeing a spiderized Gwen Stacy I'm asking for a refund.

Still, the summary indicates that we're definitely getting more 616 focus rather than it being a split between the two worlds, at least for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    At this point I'm surprised Mary Jane can still sing considering she spends 90% of her screentime screaming at Gwen. Also, that is Jackal on the cover. If 616-Warren's head (assuming that's him) doesn't explode from seeing a spiderized Gwen Stacy I'm asking for a refund.

Still, the summary indicates that we're definitely getting more 616 focus rather than it being a split between the two worlds, at least for this issue.
    I mean, it combines his two great loves. Gwen Stacy and Spider-Man .

The whole new conceit of the run is Gwen in 616 so they're probably going to emphasize it more at first, but it'll be interesting to see how they juggle both Earths since I imagine the intention is to make her a primarily 616 hero now.

Would they end up just having Captain George Stacy and the band move to 616 too? The band could be pariahs in 65 after that concert explosion.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Would they end up just having Captain George Stacy and the band move to 616 too? The band could be pariahs in 65 after that concert explosion.
    I think they'd have less incentive to do it then Gwen does.

Especially since they're 616 equivalents are still alive and fairly active publically.

Fantastic Member

Maybe they just take band gigs there too? I mean, if anyone says 'don't you look like x?' they can just shrug and say they have those faces. It's not like Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy are exactly rare names.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don’t think that’s really necessary for them due to it seeming that Gwen coming to 616 is more so her commuting for school and heroing rather than actually living there. This does raise the question of how someone from another universe manages to get into school?

Astonishing Member

I highly doubt the band is going to move to 616, considering that their native counterparts are still alive, unlike Gwen (unless what we saw in Clone Conspiracy is not what it seemed).

Also, if Miles Warren/The Jackal is still around, he's the perfect villain to appear here, considering his love/obssession with Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    This does raise the question of how someone from another universe manages to get into school?
    I can think of two who might have the connection to help her, Spider-woman & Silk. They both worked for Shield and while it officially doesn't exist anymore, I refuse to think that they can't shake a tree or two.

Spider-woman also best friends with Captain Marvel, no way Gwen's the first one to ask for a student Visa to an alternate universe. She can go by her actual name or if not theirs always the alias "Gwanda"

I think you're right. Jess is on issue 2's cover. If Miles remembers being a universe transplant he may be able to help too.

If she needs a fake name she could just call herself Max (her middle name is Maxine) or Helen (like she did in Spider-Man Life Story).

Fantastic Member

No matter the universe, Gwen (Guin) Stacy finds a way to be a menace:

This one makes fanfics! She's sick, I tell you, sick! On a slightly less stupid note, this is the second version of Gwen mentioned/shown to be practicing ballet. Chances are pretty good mainline Spider-Gwen will start taking it up so she can get ballet shoes and synergize with the Spiderverse version. Or at the very least can be drawn doing ballet moves during combat.

Also, Bodega Bandit has and, always will be, the worst.