Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

why is gwen taking polisci when her world is completely different and wouldn’t have the same laws or even social structures? i can see taking math or a physical science but polisci?

i guess it’s like why in the last issue was gwen holding her mask in her hand like it was fabric when that’s not what her costume is made of?

i miss latour and rodriquez
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-21-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    why is gwen taking polisci when her world is completely different and wouldn’t have the same laws or even social structures? i can see taking math or a physical science but polisci?

i guess it’s like why in the last issue was gwen holding her mask in her hand like it was fabric when that’s not what her costume is made of?

i miss latour and rodriquez
    Maybe a dump class? Also, it seems like politics are the same in her verse given that the whole 'Jonah for mayor thing' mirrors what Spidey had to deal with before.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I wonder if the similarities with Peter are deliberate.
    Noticed that too. Guess we'll have to wait since Harry seems to be out - seriously, what the hell happened after the explosion? - and if iirc it was confirmed MJ/Gwen wasn't happening.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Maybe a dump class? Also, it seems like politics are the same in her verse given that the whole 'Jonah for mayor thing' mirrors what Spidey had to deal with before.
    but we also know their laws are interpreted differently and history evolved differently. it’s a weird choice that doesn’t make sense even for a ge class

but then nothing about gwen going to school in 616 is logical. it’s just an excuse to make her seem less au to readers who don’t know better

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    but we also know their laws are interpreted differently and history evolved differently. it’s a weird choice that doesn’t make sense even for a ge class

but then nothing about gwen going to school in 616 is logical. it’s just an excuse to make her seem less au to readers who don’t know better
    To be fair that's something rarely every considered. Some fanfics actually dealt with this a bit - for example in one Spiderverse fic Gwen calls July as Hoolai, for their version of Hoolius Caesar, and her dollars are colored blue. The thing with alternate dimensions is that, unless stated otherwise, we generally expect things to be the same. For example: Americans use green dollars, have elections, New York has Times Square etc etc. They might have different names, but the general idea is the same. In this train of thought polisci still makes sense as a class, especially if she wants to tackle the legality of her heroics.

And Peter did tell her to swot up on Earth-616 culture. This could be part of that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Read Ghost Spider Issue 2:

spoilers:

Starts off with Gwen (justifiably) raging at Jameson getting his son off the hook for a terrorist bombing. According to her dad Jameson argued that his son 'wasn't in the right state of mind' and therefore shouldn't be jailed...then Captain Stacy just says flat out corruption rules and no matter what he does he can't go against Jameson's money and influence. Great. Hopefully this is fixed in the upcoming issues.

As for classes, they seem to be doing fine. One of Gwen's classes is media and her assignment is to watch the first season of Veronica Mars. Since she has no streaming device a new female classmate of hers by the name of Benji (coincidence?) decides they should watch the stream together. All well and good...till it's revealed at the end of the chapter she made contact with Gwen at the order of Miles Warren in exchange for an unknown favor. To her credit Benji seems to have no idea that he's a Supervill and only agrees after Jackal assures her that Gwen won't be hurt and that 'everyone wins'. She even makes a point to ask if that includes Gwen, which of course Jackal says it does. Creeper.

Speaking of Jackal, his inclusion is the dumbest fucking thing since he's actually a teacher at ESU with his only disguise being a different name. What, no one on the old staff fucking realizes that he looks exactly like Miles Warren, who was there less than a decade ago? Or Peter the T.A (teacher's assistant) never ran into him once or saw him in passing? In Gwen's case at least she has the excuse that her counterpart is dead but last I checked Jackal was still considered alive in-universe.

end of spoilers

On a somewhat funny note, Jackal does point out she probably should've changed her name. Hell Peter should've told her to considering what he knows about Miles Warren:

Fantastic Member

By the way, we also get confirmed proof that Gwen no longer uses webshooters - early in the issue she webs her bag to herself despite the fact that her sleeves are pulled back and her wrists are bare. So yeah, her webshooters - the last thing she had connecting her to 65-Wasp - are gone. There goes any chance of that backstory being examined.

Read Ghost Spider Issue 2:

spoilers:

Starts off with Gwen (justifiably) raging at Jameson getting his son off the hook for a terrorist bombing. According to her dad Jameson argued that his son 'wasn't in the right state of mind' and therefore shouldn't be jailed...then Captain Stacy just says flat out corruption rules and no matter what he does he can't go against Jameson's money and influence. Great. Hopefully this is fixed in the upcoming issues.

As for classes, they seem to be doing fine. One of Gwen's classes is media and her assignment is to watch the first season of Veronica Mars. Since she has no streaming device a new female classmate of hers by the name of Benji (coincidence?) decides they should watch the stream together. All well and good...till it's revealed at the end of the chapter she made contact with Gwen at the order of Miles Warren in exchange for an unknown favor. To her credit Benji seems to have no idea that he's a Supervill and only agrees after Jackal assures her that Gwen won't be hurt and that 'everyone wins'. She even makes a point to ask if that includes Gwen, which of course Jackal says it does. Creeper.

Speaking of Jackal, his inclusion is the dumbest fucking thing since he's actually a teacher at ESU with his only disguise being a different name. What, no one on the old staff fucking realizes that he looks exactly like Miles Warren, who was there less than a decade ago? Or Peter the T.A (teacher's assistant) never ran into him once or saw him in passing? In Gwen's case at least she has the excuse that her counterpart is dead but last I checked Jackal was still considered alive in-universe.

end of spoilers

On a somewhat funny note, Jackal does point out she probably should've changed her name. Hell Peter should've told her to considering what he knows about Miles Warren:

I get that they're just trying to facilitate the Ghost Spider status quo, but...they really don't seem to have thought through the logistics of this at all.

Like, using the exact same name? What happens when someone googles Gwen Stacy and finds her obituary and sees that the Gwens look almost exactly the same, give or take a few years or stylistic differences? Will someone try and accuse Gwen of identity theft?

What's next, George Stacy comes over and joins the 616 NYPD and no one bats an eye at another George Stacy in the police force?

Good point, but the university's dean knows she's from an AU (though quite how Peter managed that without revealing Gwen's secret identity is a mystery), so she'd be able to cover for her on any identity theft accusation.

spoilers:
    As for Benji... wanna bet she's a clone? A gender swapped Peter like Ultimate Jessica Drew?
    end of spoilers
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Good point, but the university's dean knows she's from an AU (though quite how Peter managed that without revealing Gwen's secret identity is a mystery), so she'd be able to cover for her on any identity theft accusation.

spoilers:
    As for Benji... wanna bet she's a clone? A gender swapped Peter like Ultimate Jessica Drew?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    She looks more like another Gwen clone to be honest.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Gwen would've noticed if she looked like her twin. Also, they have different eye colours.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

I've seen this pointed out elsewhere, but MJ really needs to stop being so damn obsessed over Gwen. She texts Gwen 17 times despite getting no response and Gwen herself even comments that she's expecting a spam of messages from her the second she gets back despite not even being late for band practice:

She is literally the only one who did this - her dad and her other friends gave her space. I doubt the author's going to do anything with this so it just comes across as weird, especially since Gwen seems to realize MJ's overbearing behavior (she mentions it semi-frequently in narration) but never comments on it aloud or even calls MJ back when she returned to Earth-65 briefly. When Lana/Bombshell spam texted Miles it was treated as her having a massive crush so this just looks odd if that wasn't the intent; especially since MJ is dating her other bandmate.

Man, she's obsessed .

Fantastic Member

616 and 65 MJ seem to have gone in the opposite directions. 616 MJ put on the face of a vapid party girl who didn't give a **** about anyone but herself whereas 65-MJ is a super high strung perfectionist attention whore with an ego to match. Though I'm legit wondering why the hell she's so damn pushy here. Gwen states outright that she has no band practice so she's not being badgered for that so I can only assume MJ's doing it for personal reasons. The fact that Gwen is totally expecting it also gives the idea that MJ's been acting like this for a while, at least long enough that Gwen no longer finds it weird.

Honestly it seems like she's jealous of Gwen in that weird 'I want all your attention solely on me/I wanna be you' kind of way. She literally makes two songs all about Gwen - one of which she plays during their comeback concert and is the most vocal about her disapproval of the 616 shift and the Hero for Hire app since she needs to be there 'for the band' and trying to dictate her behavior.

Seriously, Gwen's own freaking dad doesn't complain as much as MJ does about her choices. On the other hand she also shows extreme jealousy, griping that she wishes she had Gwen's powers and also accusing her of trying to sabotage her after an accident. Sometimes I honestly can't tell why the **** Gwen sticks around her given that she's acting like such an obsessive control freak. MJ even uses full name ultimatums while Gwen swings away going 'lalalala!', which is hardly what you'd expect friends to do.

Astonishing Member

I've seen this pointed out elsewhere, but MJ really needs to stop being so damn obsessed over Gwen. She texts Gwen 17 times despite getting no response and Gwen herself even comments that she's expecting a spam of messages from her the second she gets back despite not even being late for band practice:

She is literally the only one who did this - her dad and her other friends gave her space. I doubt the author's going to do anything with this so it just comes across as weird, especially since Gwen seems to realize MJ's overbearing behavior (she mentions it semi-frequently in narration) but never comments on it aloud or even calls MJ back when she returned to Earth-65 briefly. When Lana/Bombshell spam texted Miles it was treated as her having a massive crush so this just looks odd if that wasn't the intent; especially since MJ is dating her other bandmate.
    the reason is simple.

seanan mcguire has been open about how she identified with 616 gwen because they are both blonde. she was devastated when she read about gwen’s death even though it was years after it was published. and she didn’t like the redhead who was supposed to be insignificant. she’s talked about this so it’s not a secret.

you’d think a female author would write more nuanced female characters instead of bitchy stereotypes but anyway.