Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Spider-Gwen tries to copy 2099’s shtick. It doesn’t work out:

Goddamn that see through hood looks fucking stupid! Apparently its a variant cover cause we’re getting more 2099 stuff, so that’s good.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    the reason is simple.

seanan mcguire has been open about how she identified with 616 gwen because they are both blonde. she was devastated when she read about gwen’s death even though it was years after it was published. and she didn’t like the redhead who was supposed to be insignificant. she’s talked about this so it’s not a secret.

you’d think a female author would write more nuanced female characters instead of bitchy stereotypes but anyway.
    If that was it I’d chalk it up to character dislike but she also has Mary Jane act like she has a major hate crush on Gwen rather than just being bitchy. Did the writer forget she was supposed to be dating Glory?

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Spider-Gwen tries to copy 2099’s shtick. It doesn’t work out:

Goddamn that see through hood looks fucking stupid! Apparently its a variant cover cause we’re getting more 2099 stuff, so that’s good.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the mixing of the colors or how they kept the hood.

Astonishing Member

If that was it I’d chalk it up to character dislike but she also has Mary Jane act like she has a major hate crush on Gwen rather than just being bitchy. Did the writer forget she was supposed to be dating Glory?
    c’mon everybody wuvs gwen in mcguire’s run so far. it’s pretty much at mary sue levels. we even get a jackal obsession story next.

Fantastic Member

Another thing I'm wondering about: the Hero for Hire app. Did Gwen just decide that's a no go too or what?

c’mon everybody wuvs gwen in mcguire’s run so far. it’s pretty much at mary sue levels. we even get a jackal obsession story next.
    Everybody loves Gwen? So those people who rejected and humiliated her during her dinner date with Harry, that was just them showing the love? Also, Jackal has ALWAYS been obsessed with Gwen Stacy. Saying Gwen's a Mary Sue for that is like saying Spidey's a Marty Stu because both Venom and Green Goblin are equally obsessed with him. Gwen just inherited Jackal from 616 Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the mixing of the colors or how they kept the hood.
    The hoods the stupidest looking thing since they made the damn thing SEE THROUGH. What the hell were they smoking?

Another thing I'm wondering about: the Hero for Hire app. Did Gwen just decide that's a no go too or what?
    Yeah. She wasn't making much money off it. Seems that the concert bombing was the last straw.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. She wasn't making much money off it. Seems that the concert bombing was the last straw.
    Really? Seemed like she was making decent bank on it judging by this:

I mean, except for that kid trying to get a prom date. Wonder how many of those requests she got before blocking en masse. We know her first request was a guy trying to date her, which she was very put off about:

Astonishing Member

Everybody loves Gwen? So those people who rejected and humiliated her during her dinner date with Harry, that was just them showing the love? Also, Jackal has ALWAYS been obsessed with Gwen Stacy. Saying Gwen's a Mary Sue for that is like saying Spidey's a Marty Stu because both Venom and Green Goblin are equally obsessed with him. Gwen just inherited Jackal from 616 Gwen.
    what people who harassed her during dinner? she wasn’t harassed at all. in issue 6? they were asked to leave by a snooty waiter because she’s a hero. not because they hate her

no one hates gwen since mcguire took over except for the usual bad guys. they want selfies instead. jameson even wuvs gwennie sue now

i agree a jackal story is cliche

i wasn’t aware eddie brock and norman are obsessed sexually with peter but thanks for that image
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 09-28-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

what people who harassed her during dinner? she wasn’t harassed at all. in issue 6? they were asked to leave by a snooty waiter because she’s a hero. not because they hate her

no one hates gwen since mcguire took over except for the usual bad guys. they want selfies instead. jameson even wuvs gwennie sue now

i wasn’t aware eddie brock and norman are obsessed sexually with peter but thanks for that image
    Not sure about Eddie Brock, but the Venom symbiote has almost always been obsessed with Peter and his rejection of it in a way that can be read as romantic or sexual. Norman is also debatable, given his fixation in the past on making Peter his heir and at one point (Marvel Knights Spider-Man by Mark Millar) writing a surprisingly heartwarming letter to him (that Peter never got, because he and Mary Jane changed addresses) about how Peter had given him meaning and purpose and something more to live for than being "another boring industrialist" or something like that. Then the whole thing with 616-Gwen, abominable and atrocious as it is, could be read as Norman taking his obsession with Peter out on her because she was the first woman Peter truly loved.

And for the record, other than the hood --- which is probably made from the same kind of Lyte-Byte material as Miguel O'Hara's glider-cape --- Spider-Gwen/Ghost-Spider 2099 doesn't look that bad. The neon coloring actually fits well with a cyberpunk aesthetic.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not sure about Eddie Brock, but the Venom symbiote has almost always been obsessed with Peter and his rejection of it in a way that can be read as romantic or sexual.
    Yeah, I always saw the symbiote as a school girl who can't deal with rejection because of this tension lol.

Fantastic Member

Um...no, that wasn’t the reason. It seemed pretty obvious by the way the waiter gave the dialogue that they considered her a criminal freak and that was why Gwen felt so devastated. If she was honestly being kicked out because they considered her a hero she would’ve felt proud rather than rejected.

Also, Jameson loves her? Did you think his PR speech was legit or did you miss the fact that when Jameson got his son off the hook he snidely called Gwen a vigilante and said that she was likely the one to attack her son, not the other way around, despite his son bombing her concert. He says this to her dad’s face. He is not a fan and he’s simply using PR stunts if he indicates otherwise.

Is that Earth-65 Peggy Carter at the end there?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I thought it was Captain America Peggy Carter, but I guess the eyepatch is more Earth-65.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

So, Spider-Gwen mixed with Punisher a la What If Peter Parker Became The Punisher from last year, and is that Black Panther Shuri on the other side?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

We don't see her unmasked, but I assume that's Shuri, yeah.

Fantastic Member

Gwen mixed with Punisher? I dunno, she always struck me as more of an assassin type:

Speaking of Earth-65, I wonder if there'll ever be any more heroes or we're stuck with the now-part timer Gwen, Captain America and the knock-off suicide squad. Cause if so I'm not like this world's chances.